BASS BARN banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This time last year, I was catching multiple keepers, and plenty of shorts. Sunday, I caught one small blue and missed a few LIGHT bites. Does anybody know where the fluke are? Do you think they are going to show up at all this year?
I think they will come, just not until later in the season, but Thats only a hope

·
Registered
43 Posts
Bucktail, A buddy and I had some luck behind Brigantine on Sunday. We fished the incoming in 6-10ft of water. We picked up 3 keepers around 20 inches and about 8 smaller ones, a few of the throwbacks were pretty close though. I'm not sure why they were in such shallow water. Where were you fishing at?

·
Registered
202 Posts
bucktail3- They are here, I don't think in LARGE numbers but they are defintly here. 2 trips last week to OC resulted in 14 for 45 to 22.5" for us. Almost every fluke we filleted was loaded with grass shrimp. I think thats why down sized baits seem to be working best right now. Try fishing with smaller minnows to imitate those tiny shrimp. You will definitly catch some small fish but the big boys eat shrimp too.

If you bait them, they will come. :D

[ 05-24-2004, 07:33 PM: Message edited by: Fish Eagle ]

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
thanks Debbie...now they are biting! I have enough gnat bites to prove I tried for a couple of evenings.

see you tomorrow hopefully!

·
Registered
7,833 Posts
Down in the Cape May area, I haven't heard of any great action, or action like is should be. The regular fluke guys that know what they are doing are reporting slow fishing. It seems to be a slower start than last year and we all thought it was slower than normal last year. I bet if we ask Marine Fisheries their statistics will tell us we are having a tremendous season and way ahead of last year.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts