BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my Fluke combo, Avet SX, with Lami Inshore Classic 7' 15-30 rod. Is this rod to stiff? I tend to go with the stronger rods. I usually fish out front, but plan on some back bay fluking also. If you think I'll have to buy another combo for the back, O well, I guess I'll have to. ;)

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Sounds like you're pretty well set...I've got an SX lefty on a MH 6'6" Lamiglass that fills that niche just about perfectly. I'd imagine extra back bone would be better than not enough should a manhole cover with gills take your bait :D

·
Registered
8,254 Posts
My back bay rod is a acid wrap right around 6' with a calcutta 250..its good to about 65' out front and up to 2oz bucktail jigging..whole outfit weighs about 14oz.. that SX with the IC is a nice old grounds setup..nice for togging also

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where are all the fluke fisherman and their combo expertise? Also is the fluke fishing better in the back or out front in the start of the season?

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Can't say because I don't know how you fish. I haven't drifted for years so my tackle is different than most. I haven't found an Avet I would fish the back with because they are to weighty for me. I use a Shimano Curado and it is perfect for me but wouldn't be for most. It's all in how you fish. Your combo sounds like an all round good package.

·
Registered
39,870 Posts

·
Registered
12,873 Posts
Out front that outfit probably works great.

In the back I tend to go light since using small bucktails most of the time. Penn 940 on a star rod with 15 lb test max. Also use some light spinners

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Went to Fishermans Supply the other day and Ron had a Diawa Bait casting reel the "Coastal" made for saltwater, looked pretty nice. Does anyone have this reel or used it. Thinking about it for the back bay.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Filletone,
I've never used the mackeral/bluefish strips, just killies and squid. I'll give it a try this year, thanks.Does anyone know who makes a good map of the Raritan bay along with all the access boat ramps?

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Hey Lamiglass Mike, do yourself a favor and get some fresh herring and strip it out and use that in the spring on as light a bucktail as you can get away with and you will find this to be the best springtime fluke combo around.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
For the money the Ugly Stick Tiger rod is a good flukin' stick. Pair it up with an Ambassaduer bass/muskie reel and spool it up with braid and you have a decent set up for a fraction of the cost.

[ 02-11-2006, 11:42 PM: Message edited by: leedz49 ]

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I really want to try some bucktails for fluke, I,ve always just used the three way swivel with a fluke rig and weight, with mono. I want to use braid this year because of the sensitivity. What would you suggest 30, 40 or 50 pd. power pro!

I know the 50 is easy to tie knotts.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Originally posted by leedz49:
For the money the Ugly Stick Tiger rod is a good flukin' stick. Pair it up with an Ambassaduer bass/muskie reel and spool it up with braid and you have a decent set up for a fraction of the cost.
LAMI - I was gonna tell you about my unusual setup until leedz said that. I'll tell you anyway.

Ugly Stick CAL 1101 7.0'
Ambassadeur 6001C
Spider Wire 30lb, old regular

That Ugly Stick is one of the regular series freshwater jobs. That means around $35. It is perfectly capable of handling any fluke in the world. Use a 5 oz sinker and you are still totally comfortable. I absolutely love it. It is light as a feather, nice long handle, trigger grip, nice strong butt, nice sensitive tip. Keep in mind I am not an Ugly Stick fan, I have one I absolutely hate. Get a different model and I give no recommendations.
The Amb reel was a freshwater downrigger reel for 15 years, still pefect & left hand retrieve.
The Spider Wire was in my storeroom for 13 years and worked perfectly last year. I'll never use mono again for bottom bouncing.

[ 02-12-2006, 02:33 AM: Message edited by: Pomoxis ]

1 - 20 of 31 Posts