BASS BARN banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.k. Fellas , Time To Start Getting Boat Supplies,need Some Input On The Best Boat Wax .

·
Registered
24 Posts
My choice is MEGUIARS, cleaner & wax all in 1.little pricey but great stuff ;) Make sure its ( marine & rv ) product. Good luck

·
Banned
9,111 Posts
Shark Teezer - In case it's any use to you, here's my method:

I polish the boat in sections ( around 4' lengths of the hull at a time )

1. 3M heavy duty compound - if you need to remove the oxidized layer.
* Keep a bucket of water with you so you can continually rinse the rag.
Apply in circular, overlapping motions, thoroughly covering each section.
Then, I use another cloth to remove most of the excess BEFORE it dries.
Do whole boat, sections at a time.

2. Starbrite Marine Polish with PTEF ( found at Boaters World or other..forgot which ). Apply with new clean cloth, circular overlapping pattern. Let dry, buff with clean dry cloth.

3. Mothers Brand California Gold Carnauba Wax: Found at Pep Boys.
Same process.

I use these products because each is best in class and importantly
each goes on easy, and comes off easy. I hate products that are hard to remove or streak.

Then, if you're a real polish freak, you can add a coat of Rejex.

ps: use separate cloths for each product and step.

There, I feel so much better now !!!!!! Good luck this year.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I have tried everything, and I always go back to Collonite Fleetwax cleaner/wax, then use Collonite Marine wax. My boat is a 92, but the gelcoat looks like a 3 year old boat. It's in a slip 8 months out of the year, and the boat looks great until mid summer at least. In the next couple of days I'm posting pics of my boat, just detailed it, and you will see why I swear by Collonite. No matter what, it's going to take a couple of days of sweat equity to do it right, but it's worth it. Ken

·
Registered
529 Posts
Collonite was my favorite but it can be a real PIA to put on and take off. Tried "REJEX" last year, works great. HAve to make sure any old wax is off before applying Rejex however.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Do yourself a favor and buy yourself a porter cable dual-action polisher. It will take you an hour to compound your boat. Best investment I ever made. Get good pads too. Makes it sparkle and your arms arent killing you. Plus, you don;t spend all day doing it. I can do my boat and both my cars in a few hours.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
I got the rejex as well - how do you take the old wax off ? can you just rewax w/ the rejex

·
Registered
76 Posts
Dawn dish detergent will strip all old wax and impurities. I use it evry time I want to put a fresh new coat of wax on my boat and cars. If you want to go the extra mile, utilize a claybar (Mothers) after washing with the Dawn.

·
Registered
9,994 Posts
dawn is great for the bilge too. Did you know that's what they use to clean animals who have been slimed by oil spills?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Dawn on the hull with an aggressive brush - I hit the hull with a power washer. The rejex with the porter cable polisher. My boat takes me a couple of days - the 43 hull looks like I'm waxing a billboard but while I'm doing it - so very sexy when it done and the bottom's painted....

Good luck,

Jamie

1 - 15 of 15 Posts