BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Pop figured he hasn't put it to me enough so he goes off the beaten path and decides he is going the high end tackle route to really lay a beat down on me next year.. Anyways, he goes and asks me about an Atlas reel. I kinda rolled my eyes a bit thinking, "Great another cheapo factory knock off of a real reel. Just get the Avet." then he buys the Atlas.. As it should be mentioned as all at the marina know, dad likes to outfish folks with yard sale bought tackle and lets you KNOW it is yard sale bought tackle..:thumbsup:

However, I was exceptionally impressed with his Atlas reel. The feel and the quality seemed VERY top notch.. Tight yet loose, weighted nice, nice finish and exceptionally sturdy. I may go get two..

Are they as good as they feel and look out of the box? I liked it better than anyother in that class I have played with.

·
Registered
785 Posts
They are very well built and the drag is smooth. The 400 is a beast. I have used it for live lining and jiging for bass and found it to be an excellent choice. This year I threw it on a jigging stick and took it out to the Spencer bite, it was loaded with 60lb JB hollow core with 60lb wind-on and did a stellar job. Its a dream compared to what we were used to jigging with, Penn 30's. It is a great versitile reel.

·
Registered
539 Posts
from an old post
"Alan Tani did a break-down of the Omoto vs wich is the same as an Atlas"
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=46.0

====================================

There's a third brand from Florida that makes the same reel. I saw it in a fishing magazine/store from florida...
-------------------
i didn't like the back play on the first models they pushed but have been told they have fixed that issue. haven't checked them out to verify.
for the money seem solid...

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
My Pop figured he hasn't put it to me enough so he goes off the beaten path and decides he is going the high end tackle route to really lay a beat down on me next year.. Anyways, he goes and asks me about an Atlas reel. I kinda rolled my eyes a bit thinking, "Great another cheapo factory knock off of a real reel. Just get the Avet." then he buys the Atlas.. As it should be mentioned as all at the marina know, dad likes to outfish folks with yard sale bought tackle and lets you KNOW it is yard sale bought tackle..:thumbsup:

However, I was exceptionally impressed with his Atlas reel. The feel and the quality seemed VERY top notch.. Tight yet loose, weighted nice, nice finish and exceptionally sturdy. I may go get two..

Are they as good as they feel and look out of the box? I liked it better than anyother in that class I have played with.
My old man was the same way....lol. Outfished everyone with Kmart tackle. Never forget the time I show up one day with a custom rod a buddy built me. He just laughed and laughed as he caught one after another on his 20.00 bargain rod and I got crap. I miss the old bastard.....lol.

·
Premium Member
17,846 Posts
I have a 200...it's a nice reel but thought it was built in the USA when I bought it...I also own a Avet and like it alot...I will only be buying Avet which is made in the USA from now on...

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Don,
We sell a ton of atlas reels. They are built well and bobby the owner who lives in new jersey is a great guy. He stands by the products 100%. I know there are a ton of guys on the barn that own them.

I've been selling them since the beginng and had 2 reels returned out of about 200 sold.

Give us a call and we can hook you up.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Atlas Reels

I have an Atlas 400 which I have used for 2 seasons now. Still smooth and flawless. Very versatile, I use it for bottom fishing, live lining and tuna jigging and it hasnt let me down. Works great on my trevala rod.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
785 Posts
Orthunnus-1, do you have any personal negative experiences with these reels that you would like to share. Just curious if you had some mechanical failure or bad rep service. So far I have heard nothing but positive remarks about Atlas. I also personally know that there new spinning reels are pure work horses and competetivly priced.

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Don,
We sell a ton of atlas reels. They are built well and bobby the owner who lives in new jersey is a great guy. He stands by the products 100%. I know there are a ton of guys on the barn that own them.

I've been selling them since the beginng and had 2 reels returned out of about 200 sold.

Give us a call and we can hook you up.
Thank you sir, if I go this way you are the one I will use. Been a while Joe, Happy New Year!

pretty sure if nothing but for giggles, I am match the hatch with Pop.. It really is unlike him to spend that iknda of money on a reel... I got to match him up... :)

No issue with a company going belly up and not getting parts then it seems huh?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Orthunnus-1, do you have any personal negative experiences with these reels that you would like to share. Just curious if you had some mechanical failure or bad rep service. So far I have heard nothing but positive remarks about Atlas. I also personally know that there new spinning reels are pure work horses and competetivly priced.
Put an avet lx next to an atlas. I know what reel was out first. Tell me me how you would feel if you were an engineer at avet then someone ripped off your design and tried to undesell your product. I'm a huge avet supporter because I think they make great stuff. I can't believe it's not patent infringement.

I would never buy a product that I couldn't get parts for in a few years because i was afraid the company might not be around.

If you notice none of the big tackle companies sell em
Tackle direct, Melton etc- that usually means something

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Atlas 200 caught me 2 20 lb bass on the valley two weeks ago on a light weight graphite bass pro rod. Great real. Very smooth and durable! Also compact with serious max drag. Good luck:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.