BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a killer time in rhode island fishing for and catching Cod. Right away they started talking about codworms on board the ship. I took my fish back to NJ and cleaned them-didn't see any worms, so I froze them to eat, thalled them the next day and then I found the worms. They were everywhere in all the filets, so I picked them out. Broiled up a filet to eat, and starting eating it when I found cooked worms all throughout. Theres no way I could possibly get them all out, does this mean I've been eating worms in my fish-sticks since birth??? Maybe you guys know if cod can be released unharmed??Can they?? Cos they are an great gamefish but, I'm never eating cod again!!!:thumbsdown::huh::cool::please::mad::(

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
hard to believe you didnt see any while cleaning. I do not believe they are harmful AFTER they have been frozen and then cooked. I wouldnt recommend eating as sushimi. worms gross me out too, but damn that is one fine tasting fish. i will never give it up

·
Registered
973 Posts
I believe commercially caught cod is "candled" on a light table and the worms are picked out. As long as the fish is cooked properly there's nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
I hold the filets up to the window or a flashlight, and they appear as a tan circle. Cut into the filet and get them out. Always seems like I miss a few though, and it does detract from the thought of eating it.

As long as the filet is cooked, I have read/heard everywhere I've looked that it is no problem.

·
Banned
12,837 Posts
Cod worms are not harmful. Some fillets have them, some don't, some have more than others.

My wife won't deal with them but she will eat the fillets. They don't change the flavor, they have no taste to them.

If you left the skin on them, that's why you missed some while cleaning. Remove the skin while filleting, and your see them all. The ones I have in my fillets are a light orange, brown in color.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So the question becomes can they be caught and released unharmed???

Or does the change in pressure from the difference of 140' deep water to the surface harm and kill them???

·
Registered
20,268 Posts
One of the primary reasons you will never see cod sushi. If you eat them and they are not dead, they will most likely pass thru without problem... but the whole idea just skeeves the hell out of me. I don't eat that much fish...

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
I've thrown small fish back in 250 ft of water and they swam away,not sure if they lived.Just hold them up to a light or window as you trim up the fillets,if you miss afew,no biggie.I'm sure you can give them away:wave:.When did you go,how many/size were caught?Report please.

·
Premium Member
17,846 Posts
I hold the filets up to the window or a flashlight, and they appear as a tan circle. Cut into the filet and get them out. Always seems like I miss a few though, and it does detract from the thought of eating it.

As long as the filet is cooked, I have read/heard everywhere I've looked that it is no problem.
Same here...I hold them up to a light...

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
I have been advised by one of our Barn captains, (and did so--- )

Let filets set overnight in frig.
Prior to wrapping/vacuum packing, check cod filets out by holding up to a flourescent light. If you see any worms, trim them out.
Then re-check and vacuum pack or freezer wrap.

This is what I have done and so far we have not experienced any issues.

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
Let filets set overnight in frig..............
I did this once because I was too tired to vacuum seal after a long day of fishing then cleaning fish. The next day went I went to seal the filets, I found that many (but not all) of the worms crawled out of the meat overnight.

I guess they didn't like the temp the meat had reached in the fridge and were looking for a warmer home? :huh:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.