BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is primarily for the back bay and inlet guys fishing from land or a bridge. Saw a guy use a treble gaff he slid down his line. Worked real well, 17 pounder from a dock.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,156 Posts
We use bridge nets so they can be released. Used the hook a few times. Works OK when you are trying for one fish. When you catch 10 or so its not a good idea to gaf them. Skip hooks onto his plug when on the jetties. Another guy told me how to make a gaff with 100lb mono...you hook the plug with loops of mono. That is also a jetty technique when you can reach them with a pole.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,406 Posts
I use a bridge gaff. If the fish doesn't look like a keeper I'll pull it up with the line. 30 # Power Pro is no prblem lifting just be careful of your hands. Funny thing is most of my gaffed fish are gaffed in the mouth so if it's a larger fish I could release it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by Bgsdad:
I use a bridge gaff. If the fish doesn't look like a keeper I'll pull it up with the line. 30 # Power Pro is no prblem lifting just be careful of your hands. Funny thing is most of my gaffed fish are gaffed in the mouth so if it's a larger fish I could release it.
Hey man how you feeling?? Didn't know you are a fireman, God Bless Ya

That bridge gaff, is it the kind that slides down your line?? Hope they gave you Tetanus and sent you home on antibiotics.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,362 Posts
Originally posted by hipkvw:
We use bridge nets so they can be released. Used the hook a few times. Works OK when you are trying for one fish. When you catch 10 or so its not a good idea to gaf them. Skip hooks onto his plug when on the jetties. Another guy told me how to make a gaff with 100lb mono...you hook the plug with loops of mono. That is also a jetty technique when you can reach them with a pole.
Hooking the plug works well! And doesn't harm the fish at all!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,406 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. Bass:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Bgsdad:
I use a bridge gaff. If the fish doesn't look like a keeper I'll pull it up with the line. 30 # Power Pro is no prblem lifting just be careful of your hands. Funny thing is most of my gaffed fish are gaffed in the mouth so if it's a larger fish I could release it.
Hey man how you feeling?? Didn't know you are a fireman, God Bless Ya

That bridge gaff, is it the kind that slides down your line?? Hope they gave you Tetanus and sent you home on antibiotics.
</font>[/QUOTE]Got Tetnus! Got Keflex! Yes it does slide down the line. Keep the clip only a few inches from the hook & you'll gaff the lip most of the time!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,848 Posts
The net is a far better option, but when fishing alone can be almost impossible to use at certain locales. If a net cannot be used there are some tricks to gaffing that are much better for the fish to survive. I have seen a bridge gaff used successfully to both hook a fish and release it with the fish in very good health.
I think the placement of the clip (about 6 inches) helps to make sure the fish is hooked in the mouth. Grinding the barbs off the weighted treble bridge gaffs helps to not only penetrate easier but allows for a cleaner release. After gaffing a fish if it is to be released you can put the hook either through the rubbery part of the mouth or under the gill plate and lower the fish with little harm done. Many may think putting the hook under the gill may be harmfull but the gill plate rests on the bend in the hook and not the point. Once the fish hits water and rights itself the hook slides off and the fish will swim away. Even if a bridge net cannot be used when fishing alone to land a fish it can always be used to lower the fish back to the water. With a little experience and common sense, I believe we can keep the mortality of bridge caught fish to a minimum.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
385 Posts
hey guys I've never done it...
When you release, how do you let the fish go??? Just pitch it back?
Can the water impact hurt/stun the fish? and at what height is it unsafe?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,324 Posts
My buddy hoisted his 52 lb. bass from the top of the longport bridge back in 1998 using a bridge gaff..looks like a big treble on a rope.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,261 Posts
Originally posted by CaptG:
My buddy hoisted his 52 lb. bass from the top of the longport bridge back in 1998 using a bridge gaff..looks like a big treble on a rope.
Wow Capt.,That Must of been a Great Battle
There.....Any Other Details On That Fight ?

When Fishing Any High Bridge WithOut A Landing
Point Where You Can Walk The Fish To The Beach
I Always Carry My Big Treble on a Rope..
I had alot of success gaffing them in the
mouth and have released many unharmed....
But With Today's Regs,I have now bought a
Collapsable Bridge Net and Will Carry That
With Me Also,and the good point which was
just mentioned here is with a net you can
release the larger fish by lowering it back
down into the water....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,324 Posts
Nightstrikes..he's told me the story a million times..i forget alot of it except that I beleive it was October 30th..middle of the night he was using live bait he snagged a bunker I believe..He had caught a bunch of 30 lbrs. the previous nights and when he caught this one he filled his bathtub up w/ water (wife wasn't happy) he put the fish in it until the morning when he could get it weighed as he knew it was pushing the 50 lb. Weighed in at 52 lbs. He was a fanatic bass fisherman for years..after breaking the 50 lb. mark he stopped fishing! I'll see if I can get a pic from him.and more details.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,261 Posts
Thanks G,,,,,
It's Great To Also Here Stories of Stripers Caught
Years Ago as well as Present Day One's.....
That Must of Been Quite a few nights of fishing...
Fantastic Job By Your Buddy......

You Also Mentioned That He Gave Up
Fishing After Reaching The Elusive 50lb Mark...
You Know, I just heard of a local NJ Fishermen
that recently accomplished the same feat last
year,and he has gone public stating that this
season he just doesn't have the drive to go
out fishing for Stripers like in the past......

I wonder exactly how many fishermen feel the
same ???

Any 50 or 60 Pound Club Members Here at the
Barn Have Any Thoughts On This ????


Thanks,,,,,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,406 Posts
Originally posted by Far26:
Hey Bruce glad to hear you pulled through ok, I was on the same meds when I had the fish hook infection over the winter and Keflex knocked it out. Hope your feeling better and back out on the water soon.
The Stakes just got higher. Infection set in & I'm on Rocephrin by IV for 4 days and Cipro 500mg twice a day. I look like a Lyme disease patient with this IV port in my hand. Stitches don't come out til next week now. Probally out another week!
Help!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,153 Posts
Just grind off the barbs of thoes big trebbles & dull the points ;) ..weather up or down, works. May take a bit more skill as to the ups but feels better for me
....as to the downs...it's a given ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Originally posted by NIGHTSTRIKES:
Thanks G,,,,,
It's Great To Also Here Stories of Stripers Caught
Years Ago as well as Present Day One's.....
That Must of Been Quite a few nights of fishing...
Fantastic Job By Your Buddy......

You Also Mentioned That He Gave Up
Fishing After Reaching The Elusive 50lb Mark...
You Know, I just heard of a local NJ Fishermen
that recently accomplished the same feat last
year,and he has gone public stating that this
season he just doesn't have the drive to go
out fishing for Stripers like in the past......

I wonder exactly how many fishermen feel the
same ???

Any 50 or 60 Pound Club Members Here at the
Barn Have Any Thoughts On This ????


Thanks,,,,,
It's gone through my mind of toning it down a bit if I did get a 50. As you all know, I am a bit obsessed. 2 trips back and forth already, here for two months, and it is Florida for Godsake. But I will tell ya, fishing the Jersey back bays, inlets and Surf just does it it for me. Walking the banks, beach, jetties is like a shot of Opium. Who knows if I would slow down, but some of the voices would stop calling for sure.

[ 10-26-2004, 07:55 PM: Message edited by: Dr. Bass ]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally posted by Bgsdad:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Far26:
Hey Bruce glad to hear you pulled through ok, I was on the same meds when I had the fish hook infection over the winter and Keflex knocked it out. Hope your feeling better and back out on the water soon.
The Stakes just got higher. Infection set in & I'm on Rocephrin by IV for 4 days and Cipro 500mg twice a day. I look like a Lyme disease patient with this IV port in my hand. Stitches don't come out til next week now. Probally out another week!
Help!!!!!
</font>[/QUOTE]Any questions just shoot
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,463 Posts
Hey Steve,
those collapsable nets arent bad...just make sure you add a few 8 oz bank sinkers to it or it will never get under the fish even in zero current...
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top