BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Herring are illegal. whats plan B? Gizzard shad is 1st thing on my list of herring alternatives. We can keep an american shad too, If I catch any of those this year Ill surely stash 1 for chunkin. Always catch on plugs and jigs, but usually smaller fish <36". Herring got a lot of big boys for me and my fishing partners last year, hopefully they like the gizzard shad.

·
Registered
24,070 Posts
White perch...or Zara Spooks...

·
Registered
24,070 Posts
Have you ever tried them for Stripers?
White perch? Hell yeah!
Bring a small rod with night crawlers..Catch a few and hook them through the back...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Frozen Herring

I know fishing for herring is now illegal . Anyone have any idea if you can use frozen from last year? I know I can tell the difference but does anyone know if theres anything in the regs. that would state that you can't use frozen chunks?

·
Registered
14,022 Posts
I believe I read somewhere that Herring bought at certain locations can be used but you will be required to carry the receipt to prove purchase.
http://njfishandwildlife.com/news/2012/herring_close.htm

In order to comply with the required fishery closure for migratory herring, while still allowing landlocked fisheries to remain open the Fish and Game Council in coordination with the Division of Fish and Wildlife, has adopted the following:
1. The possession, take, attempt to take, sale or purchase of alewife or blueback herring from any freshwater stream or river is prohibited.
2. Up to ten alewife or blueback herring, no greater than six inches in length, may be taken for personal use, from freshwater lakes in Morris, Passaic, Sussex, and Warren counties, and from Spruce Run Reservoir, located in Hunterdon County. Landlocked herring taken from lakes within these counties may only be used on the lake from which they were taken. Any unused herring must be returned to the waterbody upon the conclusion of the angler's fishing trip. They may not be transported away from the shoreline of the lake by any mechanism. They may not be sold.
3. For all other freshwater lakes, regardless of ownership (public or private) only purchased herring, no greater than six inches in length, may be possessed for up to seven days from date of purchase, when accompanied by a receipt. The receipt must list the name, address and telephone number of the place of purchase, date of purchase, and quantity purchased. This receipt must be without erasures or alterations of any kind and must have a control number.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I know fishing for herring is now illegal . Anyone have any idea if you can use frozen from last year? I know I can tell the difference but does anyone know if theres anything in the regs. that would state that you can't use frozen chunks?

That would be possession, & therefore illegal, per:

1. The possession, take, attempt to take, sale or purchase of alewife or blueback herring from any freshwater stream or river is prohibited.

·
Registered
14,022 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up Rob. :thumbsup:
Unless there is something else written... it seems there is a loophole in using herring along the coast.

"3. For all other freshwater lakes, regardless of ownership (public or private) only purchased herring, no greater than six inches in length, may be possessed for up to seven days from date of purchase, when accompanied by a receipt. The receipt must list the name, address and telephone number of the place of purchase, date of purchase, and quantity purchased. This receipt must be without erasures or alterations of any kind and must have a control number. "

This doesn't say one can't purchase herring 6" or less and use those away from the shoreline of a freshwater lake. Hence, I suppose you could purchase those herring and fish them along the coastal areas up to 7 days after purchase?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.