BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know everyone was all excited about the cod showing up last winter so close to the DBay, alot of guys are looking to go after them this year as are we. never cod fished before so we can't wait to give it a try. Just wondering what months we can give them a try and at what depths the wrecks will be holding them? With reports of some being caught at the mouth of the Bay I would think we could try hitting the CMreef, WWreef and similar areas, or will we need to get out on the 20f line wrecks or further to have a better shot at some bigger fish? My buddy is going to try and get in by early April so we can try it then, if they're in on the Cmreef wreck earlier i'll take the 20fter out there in march if we get a nice day. Just looking for input, we're going stir crazy and ready to fish. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Amber Lee we have not chased the Cod for years but when we did the India Arrow wreck was the best for us Jan-Feb. We also have caught them on the Northern the Jones the 28 mile and many wrecks close to C/M. When I was a kid Mc Creas was the hot spot. Don't forget the Cod wreck or the Cod lump hence the names. April might be a little late for the inshore wrecks but some years the Arrow produces until May or June. I don't think the water will stay cold long so it might be a short run this year. I know guys still catching Stripers. Good Luck in your quest. Never hit the Reefs but it makes sence you just have to test the waters.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mike, I sure would love to hit them at Mc Creas If I hear they're there I can run downm with the 20fter right away, that sure would be nice. to get them that close.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Remember reading reports -last April - way up the BAY - couple guys were out for Stripers and nailed a bunch of COD instead?

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That was a good one rusty Scupper. My friends are going on a cod trip out of Brielle tomorrow and I have a feeling he;ll be comeing over to borrow some gear, he better bring back some fresh cod if I lend him some good stuff.

·
Registered
27,561 Posts
There are some out there. Like others have posted probably not like in the last 2 years due to warmer temperatures. If you put in some time you can find some, just don't expect a windfall.

·
Registered
629 Posts
That was a good one rusty Scupper. My friends are going on a cod trip out of Brielle tomorrow and I have a feeling he;ll be comeing over to borrow some gear, he better bring back some fresh cod if I lend him some good stuff.
ill be on the j2 looking for a few winter kings myself if they dont chew ill hammer away at the ling

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
In 2011 we had cod on some wrecks within 10 miles of BI through August. See the below picture as proof of several Cod of some cod that were caught in the 3rd week in August.

I do agree with the previous posters that this year they probably will not be as prevelant at the inshore haunts. However, I also feel that there are plenty of Cod to be had right now if you venture further offshore (20 to 40 miles for BI).

IMO the tricks to catching them include using fresh surf clams & hitting wrecks and rough bottom which is off the beaten path.

FYI, here are two pictures of some cod & tog that we caught 2 weeks ago 20 miles out. We were at this particular spot for only 1 hour.

Time will be the ultimate judge.

Peter

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
We had about 10 keepers and 4 or 5 shorts on our last wreck run a few days ago. Also, a couple pollack and some ling made the box. Fish are around. Not in gangbuster numbers with the warm temps, but certainly enough to make the trip! We're running back out tomorrow and Thursday. Stay tuned for reports!

·
Registered
15,264 Posts
This year just isn't like the last two but then again the last two were nothing like the 20 years before that, as there weren't cod anywhere in South Jersey.

The Reports off Block island suck so the fish aren't moving down like before. I'd say the cod fishery this year is going to be late if at all.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
IMO.....unless the waters cool down you will have to go further and deeper(30 fathoms) to get them real good. This is out of Cape May. Inside that will be a pick at best with the current temps.

I had a few in 20 fathoms last spring way south FWIW.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts