Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Beach- When i was 5 on Brick beach
Boat- When i was 10 in Manasquan River

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
I was surfing in OCNJ in 1980, and saw this guy bringing in fish the size of my leg. Ran back to the house,grabbed what ever rod was in the shed with 10 year old 20 pound test on it.
Got 5 eels,from finatics and caught a 25,28 and a 33.
All on the same eel.
I am now over 30K in debt.....I am obsessed with the bass.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I had just gotten home from Afghanistan and I was visiting a friend on the Outer Banks. We beach launched to a birdplay and had our limit in 20 minutes. It was incredible. One of the most fun fishing trips I've ever had...

·
Registered
671 Posts
It was 7 years ago, I had just bought a 17' starcraft, it was May, it was raining, it was windy. I dragged my mother out with me, we went to romer shoal, threw clams and with in 10 minutes we had one of the most insane bites I have ever experienced. I wish we could of stayed longer but we were soaked and frozen since then we have never looked back. I bought a bigger boat and its nothing but good times, Keep fishing fellas.

·
Registered
827 Posts
age 10 --- 1969 August bright sunny day -- mid day Seaside Park crowded beach. Clam hook sinker. Fight seemed like it went on for hours -- reality only minutes. I can still see that fish running in a crystal clear wave. Ran that fish all the way home to show Grandpa..

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
1966, I was 8 years old fishing for Winter Flounder with my Grandmother on a public dock on the bay in Ocean City. We were using bloodworms and a Striper that had to be all of 10 to 12 inches long latched onto my worm, I quickly reeled it in, and asked my dear old granny what it was, she said...."I don't know but it's too small so throw it back"....
Later that day we broke out an old book she had on Fish of the North Atlantic and looked it up. My first Striper, and didn't even know what I had at the time I caught it.....
Never actively pursued Stripers until I was in my early 20's, and those were the lean years before the moratorium, caught way more Blues & Weakfish in those days than Stripers, but I would hook one from time to time.....

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Had the family at Island Beach State Park, got everyone set up on the beach then set out my first rod baited with clam, as I was setting up the second one the first one was pulled into the surf.
Retrieved the rod with a nice 30 in fish, released for another day.
This was about 30 years ago, I always took a rod & reel with me when we went to the beach

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Nine years old on the Beach at Fire Island, NY and it put me in the 40lb club. 25 years later i'm still searching for the 50 to beat it out.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
in my early twenties , fishing for perch and catfish In the maurice river. I caught it on grass shrimp. and it was about 24 inches. They needed to be either 34 or 36 to keep them back than. When I was putting it back. a state trooper was cruising by watching me. He gave me a wave and powered on.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Caught my first striper in Darby Creek about 15 years ago. There was an abandoned train trestle. At night the bridge was lit and attracted the stripers. It was caught on a firetiger Rattletrap.

All Summer long, my brother and I would hit the bridge at night and do pretty well on the smaller stripers, occasionally hooking into a decent sized fish.

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
I guess i was about 15......we planned on fishing the back water for flounder and had boat problems......to salvage the day i set out on foot at corson's inlet on the sea isle side. I was walking and casting a finesse with my light outfit......8 lb test and spotted the striper about 10' from shore....one cast with the finesse and it dissapeared. I made an x in the sand where i saw it and hoofed it back to where my father was dead sticking bait and plucked the biggest minnow out of the bucket.....and said nothing:D. I got to the x in the sand and one cast was all it took.....that 29" striper took me for a ride, at one point i was running down the beach to keep from getting spooled and by the time i landed it.... it had taken me to the ocean side of the point.....been hooked ever since....also one of the few fish i have ever caught from corsons on foot:eek:

·
Registered
373 Posts
25 years ago- I was a kid fishing off of the rocks at Neshaminy state marina. A bunch of small, aggressive fish kept ripping our worms off. Went to a tiny hook and caught a striper that was about 4 inches long. Took the striper home in a bucket and put him in my fish tank. Within a couple days it killed or ate everything in the tank. I hope the statute of limitations has expired or the game warden will be knocking at my door! :wave:

·
Registered
15,362 Posts
1990 off the Wildwood Crest Fishing pier. I was a Junior Memeber then. I caught the fish on a Carlos Mullet rig. The fish was 40". 21lbs. I was so excited! Later that month I caught my first in the CM Rips on a eel which was 32". And it's history from there!

·
Registered
21,614 Posts
I've been fishing the brine since I was 6, but my first Striper was caught in 1993 in West Deptford, NJ, Beach hill on a 1/0 hook and a bloodworm. It measured 33 inches and at the time the limit was 34 so she was released.

I was very happy that day and called everyone I knew.

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
My First striper came off the Manasquan Jetty Fishing on the " Jacks" at the tip on a Rattle trap...The Fish was 34"-35" back in 1980, and not legal to keep back then. ( Fish had to be 36") It took me two years after that fish to catch one I could keep and that one was caught in Spring Lake, When the Herring were thick.

Live 2 Fish
<><
Forced 2 Work

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.