BASS BARN banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep my bilge clean and test the pumps before every trip. The flex tube coming out of the pump seems ok but the boat and pumps are going on 10 years old now. The pumps are also working fine and I see no issues.

So do I replace the pumps when they no longer work during the pre-trip test? Or is it safer to replace them after a certain period?

Just looking for opinions.

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
on the water its alway safe then sorry.. i would replace the hoses and pumps before this season.. why risk sinking in the slip or worse out at sea for less than 200 bucks

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
I keep my bilge clean and test the pumps before every trip. The flex tube coming out of the pump seems ok but the boat and pumps are going on 10 years old now. The pumps are also working fine and I see no issues.

So do I replace the pumps when they no longer work during the pre-trip test? Or is it safer to replace them after a certain period?

Thanks,
Matt
Don't fix it if it ain't broke. If they work leave them be. Just be sure all the clamps, fittings and hoses are still good.

Brian

·
Registered
11,868 Posts
Don't fix it if it ain't broke. If they work leave them be. Just be sure all the clamps, fittings and hoses are still good.

Brian

Ditto.

I keep a spare pump on board with a long hose and long wires with alligator clips. Whether your pump is 10 years old or brand new you should do the same. Just in case your pump dies, doesn't pump fast enough after a swamping or you need to toss it to another boat in need...it is cheap insurance and more important than most required devices.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
My hull is self bailing so my bildge rarely has drop of water in it and my pump rarely runs. Now if I had a boat where the bildge pump was critical to keeping the boat floating in a NE'ster I would replace it every three years running or not.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts

Thanks,
Matt
Also, do yourself a favor and get rid of the ribbed flex hose. That stuff becomes thin after a while and if it's rubbing on anything they wear. If your pumps are still working, then change out the hose.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
If your bilge is fairly dry and the pump never runs except when you test it, keep it until it fails your test. Make sure the switch is not the culprit. However if it gets regular runtime due to rain, stuffing box leaks, etc, then replacing it as a preventative maintenace item is a good move. The wear items are mainly the brushes of the motor and the seals. You will not know how much runtime you really have on the pump unless you have an hourmeter connected in parallel. High end yachts are set up this way and hours should be logged routinely by the crew.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
If the money is not a problem then change it out. Piece of mind would be better for you. Keep the old one as a spare.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I should have stated that the boat is not kept in the water. I keep it on a rack at waterfront marine in Somers Point. It's only a 21.5 so I'm normally in the inlet, right off the beach, or back bay.

I appreciate all of your feedback. As soon as it gets warm again I will start chipping away at my list.

Thanks again everyone!

-Matt

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
Install a second pump and then if one goes you still have the other...

In an emergency when you need them, two pumps are better than one.

·
Registered
672 Posts
As soon as you hear them starting to squeel,might be a good time to change them,unlike a float switch which makes no noise while in operation,either it works or it doesn`t,it`s a gamble..I have 3 in my bilge,1 is manually operated,the other 2 are on their own float switch,1 is set higher incase the main float switch or pump fails..I look at it this way "I`d rather have it and NOT need it,than need it and NOT have it"

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
when you do buy a Lovett- had one last 25 years no kidding- put a new one in same old boat and it gets trashed with clam /bunker/all sorts of crap and it works every time- I do not have a self bailing hull and leave the covers off most of the time in a slip These things are tanks - worth the price esp if its in an area you cant access easily. I do have a back up as well set an inch higher on starboard.

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
Replace the pump even if it is working... then rig it to use as a portable back up like described above.

You willl have some peace of mind and a safety net all at the same time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts