BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought it would be an interesting topic. Some guys may have started early, while others starting later. I always fished with my dad growing up, so I would say whenever I could first hold a fishing pole was my first time! :D :cool:

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
June 19, 1953. I was only this many 1+1+1 years old. :D

·
Registered
52,619 Posts
CHUNKING DO YOUSELF A FAVOR-PULL OUT YOUR MOLDY WALLET WITH THE MOTHS IN IT AND LOOK AT THE DRIVERS LINCENSE.GOOD-- NOW TAKE OUT THE ONE WITH THE PICTURE OF CAPT. NOAH AND LOOK AT THE DATE ON IT.HOW DO YOU GET YOUNGER EVERY YEAR??

WE LIVED ON THE NASHEMMANY CREEK TILL I WAS 8 AND THEY SAID I STARTER WHEN I WAS 3 WITH MY FATHER.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Not sure exactly, but I know it was either

a)somewhere on a river in the vicinity of Pike New Hampshire, my grandparents owned a vacation home there for decades...I was probably 4 or 5, with the requisite pushbutton Zebco spincast outfit.

B)The bulkhead behind the Acme on LBI (I believe there are condos are now)with the other grandparents...slaying little sea bass and snapper blues like a madman, probably the same age, 4 or 5.

or C) On the rocks underneath the old wooden bridge into North Wildwood, veritable seabass MASSACRE that place could be at times...first trip out ever was PROBABLY there.

[ 03-02-2005, 03:34 PM: Message edited by: stoneharborchef ]

·
Registered
378 Posts
I was around five,stonybrook lake,woodbury.Biggest,when are you and Fred gonna kiss and make up,it won't be long now you two will be feeding out of the same dish,BURP!!!!!BURP is a registered trademark of Biggest Jack Inc.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
It was in the early fifties, fishing and crabbing from Abbinatti's pier, in the Villas.
Bay Bum

·
Registered
375 Posts
early seventies, my dad bought a boat and kept it at devers marina in sea isle, we would go down for the weekend and fish all day and anchor up in the back bay and spend the night... it was so cool to hear the party boats go out before the sun came up. you could here thier wake for ever. we had a little alcohol stove and mom would cook our fish on that. does anyone remember pips place it was a little place that served a great breakfast. i was 10.

·
Registered
31,673 Posts
1971 WHEN I WAS 6. SPENT THE DAY AT BRANDYWINE LIGHT ON UNCLES BOAT WITH DAD AND GRANDAD.I REMEMBER CATCHING WHAT SEEMED LIKE 500 FLOUNDER,
BUT I REALLY THINK IT WAS ABOUT 50 OR SO BUT I GOT CREDIT FOR 25 FISH BECAUSE I NETTED THEM ALL

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I was mostly into crabbing and clamming then one day about 8 years ago, my nephew and I went fishing in the back bays of SIC. We used my 14 foor aluminum boat, caught a flattie and was hooked. Same year I caught my 1st striper with a freind of using my small UGLY stick. I enjoyed the fight it gave me, fought it for 30 mins. but we boated it. Now i fish from March until December. I still crab and clam when fishing is lousy. Fishing is soooo relaxing for me. I wonder why I didn't start sooner.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
My First Time Fishing Comes In 3 Phases...
As a young kid growing up in Philadelphia during
the 70's,I would venture down to the Wissahicken
Creek in Fairmont Park and fish for Trout...
Opening Days In April Come To Mind,Hanging Out
In The Woods All Night with Friends and Then That ShotGun
Start at 8AM...Then During The Summers, I Can
Remember My Father and Uncle Renting A Boat
out of Rands or Mikes over in Tuckerton and
Fishing For WhatEver In Great Bay. Always Alot
of Fun There...
And Then Really Fishing The Salt For The First
Time By Myself Back In 1983 up around North
Wildwood on the Beach at HereFord Inlet..
Fishing with Frozen Mullet on Mullet Rigs and
Catching Bluefish after Bluefish and more Bluefish..

I was hooked I think the very first time I
wet a hook.....

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
WOW, great thread.
Growing up in pennsauken i remember fishing Tippin's Pond for bluegills(sunnies) and whatever else would bite. also made numerous trips to Cooper river and would catch eels, catfish and anything with fins while dad walked around the river. we moved to marlton when i was 13 so i was introduced to pickeral..luv em'. fished many local ponds for bass and pickeral as well as Marlton lakes, lake oswego and many others. i used to hate the beach as a young man b/c sand would get into everything. an uncle of mine had a boat docked in Skinners in tuckerton so i grew up fishing for weakies and fluke and crabbing off those docks. after highschool(93')(springtime) i went winter flounder fishing with my uncle on LBI off of an bulkhead then that same week we hit Graveling point for stripers....i've been hooked ever since! i now love the beach more than life itself...i cannot wait until my 32 day old son is tagging along and i can show him the places i fished when i was an "anklebiter"!

Nick

·
Registered
36 Posts
I started as an adult, when kids were invited to a party where they had a stocked pond full of trout or something. Later, on a whim, I bought an inexpensive 10 foot rod at a B & T on the road to Stone Harbor and tried soaking some bait in the salt. Don't remember exactly when I got "hooked". First striper (tiny) off a pier in Massachusetts. Have learned some from books, a lot from a couple of fellow fishermen, and just time on the water. When you start as I did, you don't have the benefit of a family tradition and accumulated knowledge handed down, but on the other hand, the process of discovery and learning brings an element of childhood to adult life.

·
Registered
15,362 Posts
I was 7 years old. I remember it was in the summer...because it was warm out...My grandmother took me and my sister out on the Royal Flush..It was rough and we all got sea sick. But I still had a blast. I guess I must have really liked it :D

So it will be 20yrs ago this summer.

·
Registered
24,070 Posts
Anyone familiar with Hanging Rock in Gulph Mills PA knows of the creek that runs along Gulph Rd.
I grew up about a mile from there & I used to sit on the guardrail & fish in the creek & catch sunnies & small catfish.
This had to have been in the early 70's. I havent stopped since.
I didnt start salt water until the late 80's.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
hmmm, don't know, think I wipped it out of my memory for my only memory is puking everytime out on the party boats. SeaIsle area sits in my mind. DAD, pay backs are He!! :D

Grew up near Malaga lake "bullwinkles ;) " if anyone remembers, so during the summers we'd always walk down to fish it, you know the times when parents didn't have to watch the kids 24/7, we didn't drown...

But I do remember first time taking my son at 4 to wilson lake, had him casting a practice plug in the yard before hand, and we'd play the game, 'whada I catch?'

[ 03-02-2005, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: design ]

·
Registered
228 Posts
1971 Somers point my Grandfather owned a house two doors from the Somers Pt. Bay Beach kept a small boat at the Marina adjacent to the public pier at the beach. Caught a sand shark and a sea robin been hooked ever since almost 35 years now.

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
I was eight years old, my dad took me to the Schuylkill (spelling ) river where French Creek empties into it. Man I loved going fishin' with him.

Dave Isanski

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I was fortunate in that I grew up on a great little lake loaded with some big bass and pickerel...I think I was 3 when I started sunny fishin with bread or an earth worm and a bobber...by the time I was 6 I was a bassin' fool :D , rubber worms, spinnerbaits, topwater, all lures by then. My first lunker came when I was about 6, still got the pic, 6lb largemouth on a purple/firetail mister twister worm worked under a big overhanging tree! I fished the D-bay every weekend with my Dad too and as soon as we got home I'd paddle out in my little jon boat and catch more fish till I got called in for dinner...After bait fishing in the bay all day I couldnt wait to get home and work a lure... I even woke up early before school, paddle out, catch a bunch of bass, walk to school, come home and fish till dark. When I was about 11-12 I figured out to stay out there when it got dark ;)

·
Banned
1,307 Posts
Started fishing the fresh when I was 5or 6, it was so cool catching sunnies in lakes and creek's, then when I was 8,my dad came home from a boat auction, and purchased 3 boat's, a 21 ft. cc.Seawind,a 14 ft.aluminun jobby and a canoe!! Many memories from the old day's !! We use to run Barnegat Inlet and that boat was a tank,that inlet was alway's an adventure counting the breaker's to sneak around the North Jetty !! Rest is history !! Here Fishy Fishy !! :D

1 - 20 of 44 Posts