BASS BARN banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fished last week on the Del. river and caught squat. I am very new to striper fishing! I need to know whwn to make time for the non stop striper action. Anyone help me with size hooks,rod lenght, mono pound test?:confused:

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
another week to 2 and it will be on, right around the full moon on the 20th is when we are making our first trip. There are fish being caught up and down the river, but no consistency, nor quantity yet.

We use inshore casting/spinning gear, in the 10-20lb range. We use fishfinder rigs with 5, 7, 8 &9/0 circle hooks. I use about 48" of fluro leader, and a 100lb swivel. I have braided line on my outfits, all between 20-50lb test braid, my father in law likes to use mono on the river, he uses 15-17lb test trilene. I like the braid to be able to quicken the fight since all fish are being released, but thats just what I use on all my setups. When we are up near Trenton getting herring I will usually setup one or 2 lighter outfits and send out a livie with 1/2 the tail cut off while we are jigging up our herring. We mainly use herring chunks when fishing downriver, occasionally send out a live if we have the well with us. Good luck, and see ya out there.

Mike

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Bass

Its been real good in certain spots otherwise its been spotty up and down the beach from DOD to Gloucester.Just like Boosted said in a week or 2 the Bass will spread out more evenly and become accessable to more guys.Beach gear should include a 7-8ft spinning Rod with a Mid weight spinning reel loaded with 300yds of 15-20lb Mono.I prefer Power Pro so I can load it up.Some Standard Fish Finder rigs with some 30lb Leadered In-Line circles and an assortment of 1-5 oz Bank Sinkers.Bloods,Herring,Gulps,Fishbites,Clams,MudShad they all work well when the fish turn on.Good Luck if you need more specific spots e-mail me I'll hook ya up,HRL:D

·
Registered
445 Posts
I am in my second season fishing the river with a boat, so I can't help you with spots and such. But I can help you as far as not feeling bad about the skunk. I had my wife and kids out three times before we caught a fish... got three catties :p . I really think the water needs to warm up a bit more for the fishing to get good. I missed the good part last season from what I hear starting my fishing late may so I am raring to go too!

For tackle, I would tend on the heavier side with 20lb mono and a 30lb fluro leader. Last year I didn't use a fluro leader and was outfished 2:1 to a guy who did. Fishfinder rigs were what we used and 2 to 3 oz. sinkers depending on the current.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Fished Sunday at the DOD. Caught 15 bass up to 26" and a bunch of cats up to 10 lbs. Water temp 48 degrees. All in coming tide. NASTY ride back to the ramp in Chester. North wind coming down against the incoming created some big swells in the middle of the channel. A little nerve racking and very wet!!! This upcoming weekend should pick up even more. Cudo's to the weatherman for the weekend forecast. We should have gone on Saturday. Slippery Eel, thanks for the bait. Hope you guys did well and had a safe trip back to the dock. Had hits on the bait you gave us, but could not stick any fish. Must of been small catties.

·
Registered
493 Posts
tracker. Yeah it was nasty out there yesterday. I saw you leave and wondered how your ride back was going to be. There were some really nice swells out there. Not to mention the NE wind blowing directly down the river.. I'm glad that it stopped raining.

Had 25 to 12lbs yesterday (30"). Fish hit immediately after i anchored below you. I only caught fat cats on the herring. I stayed thru the turn and about 1.5 hours into the low. Got the bigger one on the start of the outgoing. The next 2 weeks should be really good as the fatter males are making a showing. Females are not far behind.

Hutch

·
Registered
445 Posts
DOD? I am not familiar with the terminology. Seeing as you made a trip back to the Chester ramp I am assuming somewhare in the southern section of the river? Were you where you need a Delaware lisence?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Yes, south of the Commodore Barry Bridge (CBB) and yes you need a delaware license below Oldmans Creek. The Delaware boundary goes to the jersey side.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
backpain said:
I am in my second season fishing the river with a boat, so I can't help you with spots and such. But I can help you as far as not feeling bad about the skunk. I had my wife and kids out three times before we caught a fish... got three catties :p . I really think the water needs to warm up a bit more for the fishing to get good. I missed the good part last season from what I hear starting my fishing late may so I am raring to go too!

For tackle, I would tend on the heavier side with 20lb mono and a 30lb fluro leader. Last year I didn't use a fluro leader and was outfished 2:1 to a guy who did. Fishfinder rigs were what we used and 2 to 3 oz. sinkers depending on the current.
bp, got your email, as soon as I have some time(hopefully tonight) i will give you some information.

Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts