BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been slipping my Grady for over 10 yrs.. I am going to give trailering a shot with the new 17ft Scout. I need to know where I can launch and retrieve my boat at any tide. The ramp at the bottom of the bridge in Sea Isle is short and I believe lower tides will be difficult. There will be times when I will be alone and need ramps that are easy enough to handle launching and loading solo. Anyone know anything about Larsons ramp beside it being very steep?

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
The only ramp that I know that is protected, little current and no real drop-off (at least years ago and I see people use it at low tide) is Avalon Muni at 54th street.

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replys. Like I said it's been yrs since I tried this trailering deal except for my 14fter which I normally launched at the crabbing bulkhead going into SI or over on Dennis creek at Jakes landing. My new 17ft Scout weighs in at around 1500lbs and I won't be able to use any soft ramps. If this trailering thing becomes too much hassle I'll have to go back to the slip. I just thought since selling the Grady it might be nice to keep the Scout on a trailer so I could take it over to the Del., bay for crabbing and else where.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
The whale creek marina ramp might be a good choice but the other one in Strathmere is not even remotely nice at low tide from what I see towing boats there...a good chance of dinging a prop on a rock and there is really NO place to tie a boat off ...

The Ramp over at Corsons Inlet Park is OK I guess...especially with the new dock. Don't know about low tide drop off though.

They all work at high tide...most are bad at low...depending on your trailer setup. Some boat trailer combos are such that if you can get the lower rollers near the water...some boats winch up without hardly getting the tires wet...

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
We have never had any problems launching from the ramp at the bridge at any tide. How much water does you boat need? We have a 14ft boat never had a problem. Our neighbor has a 17ft mako and they would pull it everytime a big storm was coming. Just time it so you aren't there a dead low. If you are, just ride up to carmens and get some food until it rises a little. good luck!

[ 06-13-2006, 09:24 AM: Message edited by: Skmag357 ]

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by Skmag357:
We have never had any problems launching from the ramp at the bridge at any tide. How much water does you boat need? We have a 14ft boat never had a problem. Our neighbor has a 17ft mako and they would pull it everytime a big storm was coming. Just time it so you aren't there a dead low. If you are, just ride up to carmens and get some food until it rises a little. good luck!
I just know I had to wait for 2 hours before or after high to pull the Grady at Sae Isle's ramp. This boat is much lighter at about 1500lbs so should'nt be that critical but I imagine anything 2hrs before and after low could be a problem. This boat is on a bunk trailer which is what the manufacturer recomends.

[ 06-13-2006, 09:35 AM: Message edited by: DRIFTER2 ]

·
Registered
789 Posts
Drifter,

We tried to launch a couple times under the bridge in Sea Isle at low tide and it was dicey at best. Corson's is doable even at low tide with a 17' boat, but the current there would make it very difficult to launch by yourself. I've never been to Whale Creek, but as mentioned before Avalon is good.

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by logic186:
Drifter,

We tried to launch a couple times under the bridge in Sea Isle at low tide and it was dicey at best. Corson's is doable even at low tide with a 17' boat, but the current there would make it very difficult to launch by yourself. I've never been to Whale Creek, but as mentioned before Avalon is good.
I have been wanting to start fishing more in the corsons, whale creek area so I will give whale creek a try. Also the ramp in Avalon will be good for those day or nights that I want to fish Paddies hole. I want to install a set of bunk bds., to help loading solo. Maybe even an electric wench.

·
Registered
27,561 Posts
Drinfter.. a great simple product to use is "Liquid Rollers". I is a aeresol spray that makes launching the boat off the trailer a breeze. Launch the boat, they spray each bunk heavily. It is not silicon based, no staining etc. Works great, only need to apply a few times a season. Just MAKE SURE you don't unhook the boat before the stern is in the water unless you want to launch the boat on the ramp. Give it a shot,works great!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
The WHALE Creek one is nice with stone and slow grade into the water. Very good a low tide also, the ramp in Corsen is tricky. No parking and its small, drops off I believe.

·
Registered
19,698 Posts
corson's is very tricky. The current rips in there also
I did the ramp behind the trailer park with my 20' CC boat. ONCE. It is a B*tch.

Whale creek is nice and the small stones will not frig up your hull as quickly as the other ramps.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Solo is hard at whale creek, The hard part is tying off your boat and parking the car. Also your gonna get wet at Whale Creek.

One more warning about whale creek:
Stay to the left past the marina and through the creek. At the end of the creek look for the sticks and stay between them, this is what confuses me everytime. And it's even more confusing to find your way back in so either be super observant of how you got out or use a GPS to plot your route.

I have plowed up mud at the sticks on more than one occasion. One time somebody else knock over one of the sticks and of course I didn't see it until after I hit it :eek:

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
Ask Rampage Trailers how to install a winch to get your boat OFF the trailer. Easy to use and at any tide. It's a miracle set-up.

Also get the PVC poles uprights at the end of the trailer. No problem solo then...

·
Registered
31,674 Posts
AS ERIC SAID. PUT ON A WINCH. I TRAILER A 21FT SEAPRO W/A AND PUT IN OR TAKE OUT AT DEAD LOW OR HIGH TIDE AND EVRYTHING IN BETWEEN AT PORT NORRIS.
LEAVE THE WINCH ATTACHED WHEN PUTTING IN. CONTROL THE BOAT WITH IT. DONT DETACH UNTIL BOAT IS SECURED TO DOCK.YOU MAY GET WET FEET BUT OH WELL.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts