BASS BARN banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to target some Stripers this year . Boat will be in by April 1 I hope. Some one said Shewrsbury Rocks is a good place. I ususally come of out of Manaqaun Inlet. What kind of bait do I use?

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Bob welcome to the Bassbarn. 4/1 may a bit soon for the rocks but it all depends on the water temp. I fish mostly down in CM but I am sure someone from that area will chime in soon and steer your in the right direction.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Bob, I Fish out of the Manasquan River a lot. A Good friend keeps his boat at the Crystal Point Marina. The action did not really heat up till the end of May early June last year. Early it will be a pick of bass mostly on the troll. I like to use bunker spoons and umbrella rigs rigged w/ sashy shads with wire line. When you are trolling you will need to use wire line to get the baits down 30'-40' keep an eye on the fishfinder to see where the bass are hanging. Experiment with differnt colors. If you do not have a reel set up with wire try using braided line with a trolling weight on the main line to get to the right depth start with 3-4oz's and see where that puts you. You may need more or less weight depending on the conditions. Trolling speed should be around 3 knots. We also troll the manns stretch 30 crankbaits, I have had the most luck with red/white. If they are not biting try drifting over the fish and jigging with crippled herring jigs. Once the bait in the water gets thick you are in for a good time. This time of year when the bunker show up get yourself some bait snaggers ( treble hooks that are weighted on the hook shaft). Snag the baitfish and live line them as you drift up to the school the bunker will instinctivly try and get back to the bait pod and that's when Mr. Stripper comes a knockin. Let him run a little and set the hook. Good luck out there the boat is going in on 3/28 should be fishin soon. I will be on the Crime Scene 36' Luhrs Express. Look us up. As far as bait when all else fails early in the season head up around the hook and fish the Raritan Bay drift with clams. Also the Ferris Wheel off of Seaside Heights has been productive, and along the beach in Asbury Park. Any area that has structure can produce bass, keep an eye on the electronics.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts