BASS BARN banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be in Cape May with my wife and mother-in-law from July 18th thru the 23rd. Can anyone suggest where I might be able to do some fly casting from the shore in the while I am there? Depending on how much time I can get to break away, I might be able to get out on a half day open boat, if I play my cards right.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
Cape May point is your best bet for shore fly fishing. Before 10:00 when the life guards come on duty and when they get off. It is a small area and has some jetties that are easy to fish without the need for korkers. Thats were I fish when I am not out in the boat. There isn't alot of sodbank area with access. Even walking the beaches inbetween the jetties is good at the point. Clousers, jiggies and deceivers are the flies most used. If you need more information email me or give me a call 609 884 6440.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
What Ray said. Enjoy your trip & the area. Ron

·
Banned
964 Posts
Be safe, wear korkers on the jetties.

·
Registered
772 Posts
okay, what's a korker?

On a seperate note, if you have the time fish the sodbanks between Wildwood and Stone Harbor. or fish under either bridge.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
korkers are a sandal like shoe that fits over your boot or shoe and is tied on. The sole has lots of small golf shoe spikes comming out the bottom to grip the rocks. Rocks will have slippery green growth when out of the water. It can be worse than walking on ice and twice as dangerous with all the rocks pointed and with spaces between. There are only a few jetties that can be fished without them and you have to be careful there too.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
Hey Shoe B, Have you been doing anything? It seems like everytime I want to fish were we fished last year, the wind is honking and from the wrong direction. I haven't been over there that many times so I am alittle out of touch. Seems like the skeeters have been pretty bad this year too.

·
Banned
964 Posts
Ray, I haven't had much luck from the weather gods this year.. Had a little sucess w/ bait and plastics.. just can't seem to get a day where it's calm enough to break out the fly rod.. There are still fish in that spot.. scored some flatties and 22" weaks there last week.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for the recommendations and safety tips. I am really looking forward to fishing the area, and hopefully hooking up.

Will I need a license when fishing from shore?

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Flatrat,

No salt water license is needed....not yet anyway.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks snichols.

I am really looking forward to wetting a line as I haven't done any saltwater fly fishing since April.

Thanks again for the help and tight lines!!

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
Shoe B, Same problem with the winds, 22 inch weakie isn't too bad for this year. Seems like it has been windier this year than last. Suppose to have a fly charter tonight and the wind has been blowing pretty hard all day. Hard to throw a popping fly or get any action from it in a heavy chop. Fellow wants to get them on popping fly. Seems like it has been calm 2 nights out of the last two weeks and not on the nights I have had trips. Lucky he is down all week so we still have a couple of shots in mornings or evenings.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts