BASS BARN banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I caught a 41" bass Friday, and was comtempating diner, when I noticed the tag hanging out of his stomch. SOOo I felt obligated to re-release the fish.

I cut off the tag (there was MO reading of the miniscuel numbers w/o a magnifying lense) revived the striper, and let her go. NOW WHERE do I send the tag???

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
Tag in the belly is usually a US wildlife tag or a Hudson river tag.
try soaking the tag in a mild soapy solution there should be a 800 number if it was one of those 2 organizations

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The tag was yellow and said something about "acoustics", but I was unable to read it while out fishing! Now I have a mini-magnifying lense on board so I'll be able to see what the tags say. This was like my 3rd re-released striper.

It was in great shape, and put up a good fight. While examing the tag, :eek: I saw a stich(or suture) on it's belly. Humm I had seen that once before on another released striper without collecting any information. But this time I had a record of the fish, it's tag, and looked it up online.

Low and behold, I'd caught and released "Freshwater Marty", a Striper first tagged in October 2003. This striper had one of those bass with an acoustic tag, which we supported last year on the Barn.It was pretty neat being able to know that we are supporting "our local striped bass" :D

If you haven't checked lately, there's alot of interesting data FYI....
http://www.stripertracker.org/adopt/index.html

·
Registered
994 Posts
Good job Re-Bait.We caught a sea bass about 7 miles off Little Egg on saturday with an orange tag in the belly. Turns out it was a NOAA tag. We also rereleased the fish after writing down tag info and measuring it even though it was a keeper. We decided to leave the tag in place so it could be caught and tracked again-after calling it in today turns out they prefer to have the tag off the fish but he said many programs do not. Also an orange tag in the belly of a sea bass wins you a hat-a red tag in the belly wins you $100. About 3% of the 13,000+ sea bass tagged up and down the coast have the red tag.One question-does the striper program want you to clip the tag off? The next guy not seeing the tag may not realize there is a fairly expensive acoustical device implanted in the striper. Lets hope the next guy lets "Freshwater Marty" loose. Great job on the release!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts