BASS BARN banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Usually this time of year I'm all over the ice fishing. Looks like I might have to put all the ice gear away for the remainder of this year! Marsh Creek Lake is 99% open water.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Defiently not gona happen this year.

Some have been pushing it and have fallen thru upstate.

Friggin 2 '' of ice and there out there :huh:

·
Registered
499 Posts
I dont ice fish, but I was just curious how often have we had winters that the water never really freezes like this? I dont ever recall having such a mild winter. Also, how will this effect summer time fishing?

·
Registered
707 Posts
I dont ice fish, but I was just curious how often have we had winters that the water never really freezes like this? I dont ever recall having such a mild winter. Also, how will this effect summer time fishing?
Good question revhi !
I'm hoping the bass are active enough during this warmer winter and allot of them fatten up to be big bruisers.

·
Registered
292 Posts
We had a stretch a few years back where it would freeze for a few then ice out in the same week all winter but the last two winters have been cold enuff to keep my little lilly arse in the house for 3 months.Im happy to be able to fish at least once a week all winter in open water! Totaly sux for the ice fishing guys tho:razz:. Heres to an early spawn and fat little piggies on our lines:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Usually this time of year I'm all over the ice fishing. Looks like I might have to put all the ice gear away for the remainder of this year! Marsh Creek Lake is 99% open water.
How do you like MCL, I have not fished it yet but will do so in the near future.

·
Registered
159 Posts
MCL is great for ice fishing....much less crowded.

Once summertime rolls around it can get pretty busy to say the least. It's worth a trip for some new scenery and new water to fish. Definitley some nice fish in there, but they are not as easy to catch as they used to be. That happens though with the increased population in the area.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have lived less than a mile from MCL for the last 13 years. It's a great fishery that receives a good amount of pressure, especially Tuesday evenings when the local bass club has their weekly tournaments. We have experienced impressive crappie fishing as well. Several years ago a well known musky organization teamed up with the PA Fish Comm. and began stocking some muskies. It has been fun to see some of the fish that these efforts have produced. Last year I actually cast to what I thought was a log as I was throwing for bass...turned out that log was a beast of a musky...that just swam away. I've landed a couple 5+ lb lg mouth over the years. My son pulled a 6.82 lb out of there which we had certified and a replica made of her. Maybe it'll be an early spring?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts