BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a 94 22' Robalo and a 94 22' Grady. Both are walkarounds and powered with 200 HP Mercs, similar options, (radios, rigging etc) and within a few hunder dollars of each other
Which would be better at handling short offshore trips from Brigentine and fishing the back bays

·
Banned
1,062 Posts
How was each boat ran? Did the Grady get beat up or vise verse? How were the engines maintained? How many hours on the engines? To me, they are both good boats and will last a long time, its the engines you have to worry about!! The engine makes the boat go, not vise versa....get someone who knows boats, a surveyor to check out the boats for ya....if your gonna spend alot of money, pays to have a pro check it out before you drop alot of coin....just my opinion!!!!1

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Grady has a better hull.

Is it a 94 2 stroke Merc ??

That alone is your one reason NOT to venture far. I would NEVER trust a 94 2 stroke merc offshore ??

·
Registered
659 Posts
I had a 22 grady seafarer for about 6 years. Never had any problem with it and even took it to the canyons once...probably wouldnt do that one again, but speaks volumes for how much we trusted it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I would have to agree with Up and Over. The most important thing is the pony hanging off the transom. I have owned 2 Grady's a 19' and my 23 Gulfstream. Great boats and grady stands behind their product. If I were you I would look for something powered by a Honda or Yammie.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I would have to agree with Up and Over. The most important thing is the pony hanging off the transom. I have owned 2 Grady's a 19' and my 23 Gulfstream. Great boats and grady stands behind their product. If I were you I would look for something powered by a Honda or Yammie.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Jealkon,

I woulg go by the layout of the boats and condition of motors. Grady will probably get a better resale, but that also depends on how long you keep it and the condition of either. Up and Over has this in the bag.

Without highjacking this guys thread just wondering Dr. bass what would scare you away from the 94 merc offshore? Year or 2 stroke?

·
Banned
82 Posts
If the 94 Robalos are built like the 79s then theres no question that I would go with the Robalo. Heres a test for you, take a hammer and hit the hull of the Grady. After you pull the hammer out of the Grady's hull, try the Robalo. Just make sure the hammer doesnt hit you in the head on the rebound.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Both boats were taken very good care of and the Robalo had approx 354 hours on the motor while the Grady has 500
Not worried about reale value because I plan on keeping for some time. As for the motors, if they go, plan on relacing with new so it's not a major concern.
My concern was ride as I've never been out for any length of time on either.

Originally posted by UP and OVER:
How was each boat ran? Did the Grady get beat up or vise verse? How were the engines maintained? How many hours on the engines? To me, they are both good boats and will last a long time, its the engines you have to worry about!! The engine makes the boat go, not vise versa....get someone who knows boats, a surveyor to check out the boats for ya....if your gonna spend alot of money, pays to have a pro check it out before you drop alot of coin....just my opinion!!!!1
[ 05-05-2006, 10:01 AM: Message edited by: jealkon ]

·
Registered
27,561 Posts
Be careful with the Grady's transoms... they are known to rot if older boats with the wood transom.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I love both of these boats,Grady has way more fishing room while Rabolo has a large cabin.Rabolo probably rides a little better but the 22 is one of the if not the best riding Grady.Grady had some transom problems while Rabolo had water intrusion and ive seen that first had and its also not pretty.Just get the survey.-Pat

·
Registered
9,717 Posts
I've owned 23' Robalo and now have 22' Grady. Both are top of the line boats (and pricey.) You should be happy with either. Grady probably has the edge on resale, but Robalo slightly more solid. Not much help here today, am I?

·
Registered
548 Posts
i have a 24 grady that is up for sale at a bargin price it's in this months fisherman magazine 1989 good shape all the bells and whistles

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by bubble:
i have a 24 grady that is up for sale at a bargin price it's in this months fisherman magazine 1989 good shape all the bells and whistles
Bubble - send me some info/pictures

·
Registered
154 Posts
Have had a 22 grady for years now.been to the canyons about 10 times in the past few years.(done with that).You must have good curtains to stay dry but you cant beat the cut out transom.The most seaworthy and safest boat in its class on the water.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts