BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you had a choice of which canyon to fish in the NE, what would it be
Hudson, Toms, Lindy, Willmington, Baltimore & why? Try to end this winter missery.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
The Hudson - hands down no contest!!

The reason I say this is we have the option to fish from Block Canyon, Dip, Hudson, Toms, South Toms, Carteret, Lindenchol, Spencer, Wilmington and Baltimore - and we fish them each year. However, we always find that at least 30% of our trips and sometimes up to 50% of our trips in any given year are in the Hudson Canyon. Its not because it's closest - in fact the 100 Square where we fish the most is further then most those other canyons. It's because the fishing is always better there than anywhere else.

·
Registered
7 Posts
None of the above

Last 2 years it wasn't worth it to go to any 100 fathom canyon.

The better tuna fishing was not in the canyons, but on the lumps inshore.

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
I fish water, Go were the water goes. From the Toms to the Wilmy are all about the same from me, The Hudson not much further.

However, prior to temp charts I was a Wilmy hore. I just like that canyon. I also really like the tweeners. I give little attention tot he tips, theres just too much uncrowded territory, There's alot of stuff out there that many just won't check.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Last 2 years it wasn't worth it to go to any 100 fathom canyon.

The better tuna fishing was not in the canyons, but on the lumps inshore.

That's not true at all.

In the last two years our 2 boats caught over 1,700 yellowfin in June and July in the canyon in about 70 trips - that's an average of over 20 yellowfin a trip.

In 2008 they were all nice fish in the 40-80 pound class. In 2009 they were all small in the 28"-32" range but they were still plentiful.

Yes in August and early September the place to be was in on the inshore lumps but in June/July 2008 & 2009 we had the best yellowfin trolling of our lives.

·
Registered
6,933 Posts
Dont have a specific, but I can say the past few years, we've had good success between north of the Wilmington (not in the wilmington) like Andy, and the Toms. in the middle of August this year, the 60-70 on the W. wall of the wilmington turned on for whites and was a nice consistant bite for weeks.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Cant argue with the CR boys about the Hudson thats for sure. However , for the South Jersey boats the Wilmington has held its fair share of YFT/LFT/BET over the years. Best trip we've ever had was 70 YFT 2 LFT for a total of 72 fish all on the chunk October 28th, 1999. Only other boats in the canyon that night was the provider (squidder) and the Blue Rose from our inlet. Glass calm!

Many of night previously 30 to 50 fish. 575/507 getting covered up on eyeballs on numerous occasions and on and on...For those that remember Bogan was catching tuna into January down the in Wilm. along with the Due Course!

How about the 050/150 in the Hudson? Any good?

·
Registered
7 Posts
That's not true at all.

In the last two years our 2 boats caught over 1,700 yellowfin in June and July in the canyon in about 70 trips - that's an average of over 20 yellowfin a trip.

In 2008 they were all nice fish in the 40-80 pound class. In 2009 they were all small in the 28"-32" range but they were still plentiful.

Yes in August and early September the place to be was in on the inshore lumps but in June/July 2008 & 2009 we had the best yellowfin trolling of our lives.
Thats nice. And I am quite aware of the early season yellowfin bite we have had the last few years. But I have no interest in catching footballs. I would rather catch quality than quantity.

I can catch 100 to 200 pound fish 20 to 30 miles from shore. To me that is more consistant and better than chasing footballs around 120 miles off the beach.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Poormans! Thats where we've had our best luck the last couple years. Lots of billfish and a decent amount of tuna too.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Cant argue with the CR boys about the Hudson thats for sure. However , for the South Jersey boats the Wilmington has held its fair share of YFT/LFT/BET over the years. Best trip we've ever had was 70 YFT 2 LFT for a total of 72 fish all on the chunk October 28th, 1999. Only other boats in the canyon that night was the provider (squidder) and the Blue Rose from our inlet. Glass calm!

Many of night previously 30 to 50 fish. 575/507 getting covered up on eyeballs on numerous occasions and on and on...For those that remember Bogan was catching tuna into January down the in Wilm. along with the Due Course!

How about the 050/150 in the Hudson? Any good?
Yeah Billy you guys have caught your share of Eyeballs, Gins shared some of the stories. Weve tried hard the last 4 years even ran to the Hudson last year when The Big eye bite was insane, I dont know hopefully some day. Who knows I might even see a 5 banger on the Outbound.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Carteret & Wilmington

It had some really nice YFT last year at the Carteret, and also did well at the Wilmington.
Find the water with a good sat shot, then head to where the fish are(supposed to be):D

1 - 20 of 125 Posts