shimano calcutta b 200
shimano cruxis
quantuam cabo

or put in your own
$200 or less

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Calcutta 400, then you can use it for Backbay, Wrecks, DE Bay. Use mine to catch stripers, and even caught Mahi on the weed lines heading out to the Canyons. Can set up to 17 lbs of drag if you want. I have mine loaded with 50 lb power pro and set for 4lbs in the back and in the bay. Bump it up to about for the ocean and had it 10 for the Canyon runs. Great all around reel

I use a spinning outfit for plugs. I just like casting with them better.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Quantum Cabo is the way to go...

smellinfishy said:
CABO....all the way:)
but for just fluking and plugging in the back, I would mabye go with the Cabo 30, but the 40 is great and more versatile for hucking clam or out front
I have the Quantum Cabo PT60 and it's great for stripers and in the surf...even used it for cobia and sharks down in OBX last summer. The reel is awesome...you might want to check out a smaller version of it, but same great design.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I just got a shimano curado 300. It is a new reel this year. I saw Larry Dalburg (spelling) fish with one on tv and was catching 40 durado on it. The reel is easy to cast...fast and rugged with a low profile. I fished with it a bunch so far this season and i am amazed with it. It casts great and is very smooth. I put it on a St. Croix Avid 7'3. I plan on using it for almast everything in the back from fluke to bass...now the only thing i have to do is hook up with it!!!

here is the link for the reel with all the specs

http://fish.shimano.com/catalog/fish/products/group_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302036641&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395181270&bmUID=1206657186109

Good Luck

B.

·
Registered
897 Posts
ive been using a calcutta for years.lets see,since about '96' and fish it hard.just a quick cleaning after every trip.id go with the 200.can hit the largemouth too if ya do the freshwater thing,not too mention weakies in the back.mine is mounted on a all star rod and i love the balance.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Shimano Curado 300 DSV. I bought mine last spring and fished stripers on the flats with it. Excellent reel, cast great, very smooth. I would like to have another.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Jim, If you want to give the Abu 6500, Cabo, or Calcutta a spin before you buy let me know. That way you can choose for yourself after a test drive. But I don't think you will be disappointed with any one of them.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mr. Sipmson thanks that's sounds like a good idea

I have an abu 6500, got something wrong with it though

Thanks for your recomendations guys

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
I'm watching this with interest. I may try a conventional setup next.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I know you said spinner, but...

If you start thinking about a conventional, the abu record is very good. I used my 60 all last season exclusively (penn 9m was kaput). Even being the largest one, its very castable even for me. It has a light clicker tention and the free spool button couldnt be better or in a better place.

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
if your dead set on spinner, go with the cabo.

stradic is also a good reel however im not found of the updated version as mcuh as the older reel.

for those that want the best of both worlds. the shimano calcutta400 will handle most anything you encounter inshore. we use ours for inshore trolling also. (untill a 30lb bluefin blue one up last year but this is the most extreme of cases.)

excelent castability, 18lbs of drag (if you ever needed it), feather light, smoothest drag, brake control...

its my favorite multipurpose reel.

like i said i use it for pluggin the back, fishing the rips, deepwater fluking and inshore trolling

-Zar

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
these aren't spinners guys
quantum does make a cabo spinner but the mmake it in a baitcaster too

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Either shimano is alright but DO NOT get the cabo. They are great on the largemouth bass tour but 1 oz af salt water will rust them up for life. If you do get one get alot of WD40 cause youre gonna need it!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts