BASS BARN banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as a landlocked sodbank and bridge fisherman I always like to get opinions on which tide is most productive to fish. I know in early spring many like the bottom of the tide to warm up the bite but in the hot months of the summer which do you prefer high, low, slack...ect P.S. night fishing

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Its different for all places. In September/October I have a schedule that starts me in OC at the top of the high tide/beginning of out going and puts me in Avalon/SH at the beginning of the low tide and incoming. There are about 4 stops in between and from my experience fishing these places at these tides puts me there at the best time for all. I'd say experiment but document what you are trying and before you know it you'll have a map of when and where you need to be. Understand though its more complicated than you think because certain weather conditions can change the bite at places. Good Luck

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
If I had to pick one it would be a out-going tide and the entire 6hrs of it..
But you can find productive fishing during both (incoming & outgoing)at certin places,and when its moving at its fullest would be the key times to fish it..

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
My favorite is the first 2 hours of the outgoing tide. If you asked what the optimum tide to fish is, I would have to say that depends on the fish species, fishing method, and time of year. For example:

During the peak of the weakfish fishing in the 1970s, I fished the upper Delaware Bay in 35? of water next to the ship channel. It didn?t matter if you fished the high or low tide, but you could only fish 1 hour before and 1 hour after the peak of either tide. The current was so strong that you couldn?t hold bottom with a 6 oz sinker and the weakfish quit biting. As the weakfish numbers declined I used the same rule, but the tide had to be early in the morning before sunrise. In the 70s, two anglers could easily catch 200 pounds of weakfish in one tide. Those fish were much bigger than the ones caught here in the back bays.

Our spring herring run normally begins in March, but to catch them you need to fish the New or Full moon days on the first two hours of the outgoing tide. During the peak of the run in May, you can fish any tide 24 hours a day and be successful.

Live lining herring for stripers in the spring, my best fishing has been when the high tide coincides with sunrise. I like to fish the flood tide and the first two hours of the outgoing.

During low tide, it?s hard to get into many areas of our back bays.

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
I don't prefer a tide,I "match the hatch" depending on the tide. I find fish will bite on both tides but you need to be using something that matches what they are feeding on in the area
Incoming,I like inlets and bridges ,sodbanks close to inlet. Outgoing small creeks leading from shallow bays, ANY small rip has potential to produce
Figure out what bait is in the water and try to match it,if no bait observed use something slow on bottom or switch to a fresh bait
From late June to Early Oct best bite is 2 hours before sunrise and 3 hours after sunset regardless of tide
Works for me

1 - 13 of 13 Posts