BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The yellowfin aint coming back until they stop catching them. It has nothing to do with WARM WATER. The Yellowfin in S.America, costa rica, Mexico etc don't have a problem with the warm water. These fish just swim deeper, come up and feed or go down and feed. As far as white marlin fishing goes about 5or 6 years ago my crew made the decision to improve our white marlin skills and I'm glad we did. It's not as easy as snag and drag like when tuna fishing. You can't throw some chunks to catch or drag a few spreader bars. You have to learn from someone. I had the fortune of being around some real good mates and white marlin fisherman and there are things you can't see but need a pro to show you the little things that will stick out.

I can tell you it takes a few seasons. Your baits must be fresher, they must swim way better, you are going slower so everything must have a better presentation. One bad bait could ruin your whole spread. Anglers need real SKILLS , dredges are a priorty. You need a t least one and not one of those glow in the dark strips. At a minumum a double with baits. If you are limmited on time, you can mix in 50% rubbers to save some time and dough. I often pull 2 doubles. Your hooking skills will need improvment. The aglers must get to rod before the fish gets to bait, so you will have to PAY ATTENTION to the spread. The captain must learn to read water. There are so many factors that contribute to a sucessful season. I know this, if you get good at it , it will dramitaccially improve you catch of every other sepcies that you troll for.

I also learned that peolple including me DON'T LIKE CHANGE. Most crews SUCK at white marlin fishing that's why they don't like it. Most crews prfer to do what they know how and are GOOD at. Probally one reason why so many people don't marlin fish. I also was the same way but we decided that our season was going to be longer on the troll. We also decided we wern't going to do as many overnights 5 years ago as we had no need to kill all them fish and its just too long of a trip do every week. (at the time we had no idea that that fishery was going to disappear!) Although I did say to many fish are getting killed. I know the depletion of the fish has little to do with us, but we didn't help. We now keep 1 yellow per person with 3 or 4 max for the boat.

If you like fishing in NJ and want a Succesful SEASON. you are going to have to change your tactics every few weeks. You are going to Shark fish when the juvinle makos make then run thruogh here and are thick (about 2 weeks), Then switch to yellowfin (footballs) for 2 weeks then switch to Blufin trolling, then to WHite Marlin etc, etc. I hate when whie marlin gys say they dont shark fish or tuna guys say they dont marlin fish. Fishing is fishing and its always fun when you catch the targeted species.

Look I m not one of those white marlin fagets that WON'T FLY A TUNA FLAG even if's it a tournament winning double bigeye catch. (I would fly a single tuna flag! lol.) Frankly I EVEN fly a shark flag when we catch a MAKO. But don't throw in on a world of fishing that you could be enjoying too. Catch a few whites on light tackle is just as much fun as catching a few juvinle makos on light tackle. Most boats usually hook a white by accident on a tuna plug on a 50 wide and that takes some fun out of it. Don't limmit your season or fail to enjoy what NJ has to offer. It only takes DETERMINTION to continue to learn and not revert back when you are unsuccessful. I promise you you will be a better more flexible angler who will have added another skill to the toolbox.

BTW: You catch just as many tuna including big eyes while marlin fishing so make sure your prepared for long battles on tld 20's or 25's.Blue marlin bites are really awsome cause you are PAYING ATTENTION to the spread and you usually see the whole thing.

· Registered
1,354 Posts
Your baits must be fresher, they must swim way better, you are going slower so everything must have a better presentation. One bad bait could ruin your whole spread. Anglers need real SKILLS , dredges are a priorty. You need a t least one and not one of those glow in the dark strips. At a minumum a double with baits. If you are limmited on time, you can mix in 50% rubbers to save some time and dough. I often pull 2 doubles.
You would know better than I would but the few times I've been out the white comes up and wacks every lure/bait in the spread

· Registered
3,043 Posts
good post, really emphasizing on importance of attention to detail.. and being on your toes at all times.

the one thing i cant understand is some of the most prolific billfisherman in the world have been succesful running 2-4 teasers mixed in with their all ballyhoo spread via the squid chain, moldcrafts and ilander expresses and have done very well without even wetting a dredge.. i do agree they work well at drawing fish into the spread but i dont think it is a necessaity.. this method is more used outside the u.s. but theirs no reason it cant be used here.. especially with a somewhat inexpeirenced or short hand crew.

· Registered
1,173 Posts
Awesome Advice

Capt Val,

That is some awesome stuff that you posted:thumbsup:. Thank you. This is yet another valuable thread from TBB that I will save for future reference.

You see, no matter how much you think you know, a truly smart person will always be open to learning something new.

· Registered
496 Posts
The yellowfin aint coming back until they stop cathcing them. It has nothing to do with WARM WATER. The Yellowfin in S.America, costa rica, Mexico etc don't have a problem with the warm water. These fish just swim deeper, come up and feed or go down and feed. As far as white marlin fishing goes about 5or 6 years ago my crew made the decision to improve our white marlin skills and I'm glad we did. It's not as easy as snag and drag like when tuna fishing. You can't throw some chunks to catch or drag a few spreader bars. You have to learn from someone. I had the fortune of being around some real good mates and white marlin fisherman and there are things you can't see but need a pro to show you the little things that will stick out.

I can tell you it takes a few seasons. Your baits must be fresher, they must swim way better, you are going slower so everything must have a better presentation. One bad bait could ruin your whole spread. Anglers need real SKILLS , dredges are a priorty. You need a t least one and not one of those glow in the dark strips. At a minumum a double with baits. If you are limmited on time, you can mix in 50% rubbers to save some time and dough. I often pull 2 doubles. Your hooking skills will need improvment. The aglers must get to rod before the fish gets to bait, so you will have to PAY ATTENTION to the spread. The captain must learn to read water. There are so many factors that contribute to a sucessful season. I know this, if you get good at it , it will dramitaccially improve you catch of every other sepcies that you troll for.

I also learned that peolple including me DON'T LIKE CHANGE. Most crews SUCK at white marlin fishing that's why they don't like it. Most crews prfer to do what they know how and are GOOD at. Probally one reason why so many people don't marlin fish. I also was the same way but we decided that our season was going to be longer on the troll. We also decided we wern't going to do as many overnights 5 years ago as we had no need to kill all them fish and its just too long of a trip do every week. (at the time we had no idea that that fishery was going to disappear!) Although I did say to many fish are getting killed. I know the delpetion of the fish has little to do with us, but we didn't help. We now keep 1 yellow per person with 3 or 4 max for the boat.

If you like fishing in NJ and want a Succesful SEASON. you are going to have to change your tactics every few weeks. You are going to Shark fish when the juvinle makos make then run thruogh here and are thick (about 2 weeks), Then switch to yellowfin (footballs) for 2 weeks then switch to Blufin trolling, then to WHite Marlin etc, etc. I hate when whie marlin gys say they dont shark fish or tuna guys say they dont marlin fish. Fishing is fishing and its always fun when you catch the targeted species.

Look I m not one of those white marlin fagets that WON'T FLY A TUNA FLAG even if's it a tournament winning double bigeye catch. (I would fly a single tuna flag! lol.) Frankly I EVEN fly a shark flag when we catch a MAKO. But don't throw in on a world of fishing that you could be enjoying too. Catch a few whites on light tackle is just as much fun as ctaching a few juvinle makos on light tackle. Most boats usually hook a white by accident on a tuna plug on a 50 wide and that takes some fun out of it. Don't limmit your season or fail to enjoy what NJ has to offer. It only takes DETERMINTION to continue to learn and not revert back when you are unsuccessful. I promise you you will be a better more flexible angler who will have added another skill to the toolbox.

BTW: You catch just as many tuna including big eyes while marlin fishing so make sure your prepared for long battles on tld 20's or 25's.Blue marlin bites are really awsome cause you are PAYING ATTENTION to the spread and you usually see the whole thing.
well said:)

· Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes yo can and will catch white marlin while fishing your normal spread. But if you want to catch 3, 4 5 or even 15 a day you will have to change. I also agree that the squid chain is deadly up here as a teaser!!! You will also have to weed thruogh all the tuna bites you are going to get. Thats proablly not the way i wanted to say that, but I can tell you late in the season we catch a decent amount of small yellowfin while marlin fishing when a lot of peolpe are complaining about the tuna bite. Might have something to do with the baits!

· Registered
9,252 Posts
I hate when white marlin gys say they dont shark fish or tuna guys say they dont marlin fish. Fishing is fishing and its always fun when you catch the targeted species.
Capt. You hit the nail on the head! It makes me sick to hear the private boat white marlin fishermen say they cut off tuna because they are nothing more than junk fish.

White Marlin has become, if nothing more a separation of classes, and an ability to show elitism in our sport. I for one call bullshit. I can understand if you prefer marlin fishing as it offers challenges that tuna or shark fishing do not. But don't give me the holier than thou treatment at the dock because I target tuna.

It's all fishing... I have come to know a couple of the best marlin fishermen in the game. yes in the game. and they are humble as pie, and enjoy catching mahi tuna, marlin, stripers, large mouth bass, perch, spot, and snagging bunker. its all fishing.

rant over

· Registered
4,847 Posts
If you think catching white marlin is harder think about this...

It takes alot more skill to land a 200lb tuna than a 60lb white marlin. My 12 year old daughter has caught many whites. A 200lb tuna requires skill across the whole crew, ESPECIALLY, when the fish is close to the boat.
Your 12 year old hooked many whites or cranked in many whites.A 200 pound tuna does not come up to a spread and humble some good anglers.If your daughter is picking up a rod and dropping back and sticking a marlin you have done a fine job teaching her.:bow:

· Registered
222 Posts
Zar said it best. Fishing is fishing. You can catch white marlin using specific rigs and tying methods, and you can catch them simply targeting wahoo with wire. If fisherman came together more instead of acting like opposing political factions, maybe we would be better suited for larger issues, like preserving our fishery.

· Registered
9,252 Posts
If you think catching white marlin is harder think about this...

It takes alot more skill to land a 200lb tuna than a 60lb white marlin. My 12 year old daughter has caught many whites. A 200lb tuna requires skill across the whole crew, ESPECIALLY, when the fish is close to the boat.
eli i respectfully disagree...white marlin fishing requires much more attention to detail. I have landed tuna over 200#, had a day at the claw this past summer with 15 fish over 65" and had the fortunate opportunity to fight two giant bluefin tuna in morehead city this year. i understand your point. but 9 times out of 10, the average tuna fishermen will never even have an chance to hook the white marlin because he never saw it , encluding myself. i had to opportunity to meet some phenomenal marlin fishermen and hope to learn a little abit about targeting them specifically this year. but catching a suicidal white when tuna fishing and constantly catching 5,6,10,15 fish a day is a different story

this is beside my original point, no matter what you decide to target, white marlin, yellowfin tuna, bonito, stripers, largemouths, or perch, its all fishing, and we do it because we have a profound passion for the sport.

· Registered
261 Posts
Eli

We are tuna fisherman and always will be. Love catching , fighting , and eating them. In terms of skill to catch them trolling vs marlin there is no comparision ... marlin a lot tougher and require more experience. We have gone to Costa Rica the last 15 years and although its not what it once was its still awesome. That said we bait and switch and it takes at least a couple of days until we get it together. Circles , J's whatever . Talk about seeing the bite / fish the crew is so far ahead of us its scary. By the last day we are all better but still a distant second behind the crew. Move to NJ canyons with far fewer oppertunities and less vigilant crew and you can see the problem. Is a 70 lb white easier to reel in vs a 200 lb tuna?
Of course but its all fishing and a 700lb blue makes a200 lbtuna look ....

· Registered
367 Posts
Eli

We are tuna fisherman and always will be. Love catching , fighting , and eating them. In terms of skill to catch them trolling vs marlin there is no comparision ... marlin a lot tougher and require more experience. We have gone to Costa Rica the last 15 years and although its not what it once was its still awesome. That said we bait and switch and it takes at least a couple of days until we get it together. Circles , J's whatever . Talk about seeing the bite / fish the crew is so far ahead of us its scary. By the last day we are all better but still a distant second behind the crew. Move to NJ canyons with far fewer oppertunities and less vigilant crew and you can see the problem. Is a 70 lb white easier to reel in vs a 200 lb tuna?
Of course but its all fishing and a 700lb blue makes a200 lbtuna look ....
Well put! BTW, Last year fishing in Golfito, CR. we got a 191 and 150 lbs yellowfin. Not just for billfish anymore!

· Registered
8,050 Posts
I am not a marlin fisherman, but the plan is to extend myself into that game. I do understand it is a different game in the way baits are presented and the "footprint" of the vessel and its gear.

However, while it is being said that the team must pay attention to detail to catch a Marlin consisently. The same must be said for Tuna fishing. What I mean is in all fishing it is true thaty 10% of the fishermen catch 90% of the fish. Much detail is needed in all fishing if your are to be consisently and catching when others do not.

Thanks for the info on Marlin fishing guys!

· Registered
1,006 Posts
Re the post noting that Whites come into the spread and whack every bait ... They do that because your crew is not trained on what to do the instant the White shows up. Most of the time, the only way many crews know a White is in the baits is when a rod bobs. They never see the fish because they don't know what to look for.

White Marlin are THE most difficult billfish to hook. They are extremely wary. I have found that the best way to practice hooking Whites is to get a few days live baiting Sails in Florida. Once the fish picks up the bait, it is the same feel and process. But Whites don't pick up the baits like Sails do. They nose around the bait, look at the bait from one side then the other, sink a little to get a look from below, and generally drive the angler nuts.

The mates who are star White hookers know the tricks. Go down to Oregon Inlet the second half of August and all of September and charter one of the top boats. Watch everything the mate does. Give him his tip at the beginning of the day and add $100 to teach you and to talk you through everything he does. Book the same boat for multiple days so the lessons build on each other.

No book will teach you properly. It is an OJT process.

Good luck!

· Registered
4,994 Posts
Val,

Good post - see you in the AM

Eli Manning, let me ask you a question, if you were having a discussion about your 200lb Blue Fin, and someone came along here, and said, to you, "well they are nothing compared to catching a Big Blue Marlin"

Val's post was relative and was making a point, - your's here was not.

Come on, let a conversation go on without you stepping in with an opinion unrelated to the conversation.

Your posts are out of here - Captn Joe

· Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
warden pass what size reels do you use for whites
just moved to AVET LX6. Much lighter and more fun to use. It really does take a while to adjust from the Shimano TLD lever to the AVET lever when hooking fish but after that they seem to work fine. Caught a few yellows on them also last year worked out nice. For anyone getting in the game I would stick with the TLD's. Theres no reason to make it any harder in the begining.

· Registered
134 Posts
Not a marlin expert by far but i found that i catch more when i go back to the basics.

1) seven rod spread and fish very light drags.
2) use all dink ballys , naked with very small chin weights.
3) i use squid chain teasers with an islander & horse hoo.
4) if a put in a dredge its made with eels.
5) free spool like hell if he misses the bait.
6) if he misses and goes deep, get the boat back over that spot and work in circles.
7) i think a lot of fisherman love to hook a fish by pulling straight up. You have to learn to set from the side.
8) 4 - 5 kt max trolling speed.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.