BASS BARN banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a kayak, and I'd like to keep it simple for now, and try and find a few White Perch in the Atlantic County area. Can anyone offer some suggestions about where to go without burning spots? Or does anyone even care if someone burns a white perch spot, since nobody fishes for them all that much anyway? How about water depth - deep or shallow? Tide? etc?

Thanks

·
Registered
9,922 Posts
Don't know about down there but they have been all over the Jersey side of the Big D between the CBB and the WW when I have been striper fishing. Blood worm stealing fish....

Jersey Mike

·
Registered
275 Posts
GE and Tuckahoe

FastFred said:
I recently purchased a kayak, and I'd like to keep it simple for now, and try and find a few White Perch in the Atlantic County area. Can anyone offer some suggestions about where to go without burning spots? Or does anyone even care if someone burns a white perch spot, since nobody fishes for them all that much anyway? How about water depth - deep or shallow? Tide? etc?

Thanks
Head up the Great Egg River towards Mays Landing they have been reported at Jeffers Landing, also the Tuckahoe River. Load up with Bloodworms and or Grass Shrimp.

Good Luck.
Mike

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
You can catch them in all the brackish creeks and rivers now. Hit the middle to bottom of the outgoing on a warm, sunny day when the tide coincides with late afternoon/dusk. Use live grass shrimp for bait on a top and bottom rig with size 8 hooks and 1/4 to 1 oz weight depending on the current. Fish 3-8 feet of water, cast around until you locate a school, and load up.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Shovelheads

Fishinginfo said:
Head up the Great Egg River towards Mays Landing they have been reported at Jeffers Landing, also the Tuckahoe River. Load up with Bloodworms and or Grass Shrimp.

Good Luck.
Mike
I second that. There are a few deep holes in that area near the river bends, they hold near the bottom there year round along with some sizable catfish, you will see the deep water on a chart.

Dunk the bloods (#6 #8 #10 hooks all work) and cast a storm lure with another rod, you may pick up a striper. And I have used earthworms before as well, so don't worry if that's all you can get.

Incoming and slack/turn of the tide is best, they often shutdown completely on the outgoing once the current is kicking.

Catfish will be mixed in and often take your bait into some hole or wrap it around a piling, so you may want some extra bait rigs setup before going out.

If you keep the fish I wouldy strongly suggest "field dressing" them. Cut them from the anus up to the throat and remove the entrails, then put on ice, otherwise they often taste muddy.

Since you are in a kayak you may want to plan fishing the last 2 hours of incoming, high and then get leave on outgoing. That river current kicks pretty hard on the outgoing, paddling the outgoing if you are new to kayaking is not recommended.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow! Excellent information guys! Thanks!

A buddy and I had tried Nacote Creek about a week ago with live grass shrimp and small gulp worms on a T&B rig. We fished from the top of the tide around noon, to the bottom around 6pm. Not a touch. We kayaked a total of 7 miles, fishing in holes, edges, feeder creeks and creek mouths - all the places I thought they should be. Not a nibble.

So, I came here to "Ask the experts". Thanks for the info guys. I'm gonna try it at the end of the week if there's a weather window. If any of you kayak guys wanna join me for some relaxing, no-pressure fishing, let me know.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Do any of you guys throw artificials for perch? I've caught them on small bucktails meant for bass before but was wondering if any baits consistently produced. I would figure small cranks would work too.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
AJ168 said:
Do any of you guys throw artificials for perch? I've caught them on small bucktails meant for bass before but was wondering if any baits consistently produced. I would figure small cranks would work too.
I use small silver spoons ( type with hook brazed to spoon) and a white crappie jig on a dropper loop. Works very well.

Russ

·
Registered
152 Posts
A long time ago, in our lagoon early in the year i was catching them on spinners. But idk how they work now as i havne't caught any in years.

·
Registered
212 Posts
If i catch a white perch, then i only need to catch a drum then ive got everything:)

Hope to get the chance to target some this year

Any good spots from the shore in Atlantic County? Im clueless on white perch

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I've killed them on 1/8-1/4 oz. brown/black roostertails with a gold blade. Seemed like only the big perch hit the spinners too, no smalls like when using bait.

·
Registered
928 Posts
i jig for them with small pan fish jigs. i walk my bulk head late at night and do pretty well on them never cast just drop and jig around the pilings. i only fish when i hear them crashing the top.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
1/8 oz jighead with little mister twister (green or white) can be deadly at times.
I also use a weighted bobber 4-7' above the jighead and jerk and twitch technique.
Fin-S makes a really small size that looks like a minnow that works well.

·
Banned
2,659 Posts
I love to eat white perch. My 3 year old daughter bought herself a princess fishing rod and toys are us and she can't wait to use it. Looking forward to catching a couple fish with her , she's never done it:):)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts