BASS BARN banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was fishing at a lake in Bucks County and noticed a ton of white perch schooled up together (or at least i think they were)..At one point I couldnt even reel in because every time i did i foul hooked one..I also noticed they were very sluggish and looked like they were close to dying..I prob saw about a hundred of them as i was there..Is this normal and were they white perch?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
The white perch in the ranny will school up like that...makes it hard to fish for the catfish...but I haven't seen them this winter.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it was so weird...i was at core creek if you know where that is at..they were so sluggish it just seemed like they were all sick or something?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
They naturally school up together in the winter. They're cold blooded and if the water is 38*F that means the fish are too. I'm sure you'd be a little sluggish if you were 5 inches long with no personal body heat lol.

:)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was trying for trout in the main lake but had no luck...decided to hit the runoff since it was starting to get dark and usually catch something in there

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Sounds like they might have been Gizzard Shad, some what similar to perch in appearance. They often have die offs with cold water temps and can often be seen in the winter acting torpid as you have described. Dan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts