BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a friend (capbar here on the barn) that catches tons of spot using worms on a small hook over on the Delaware side around the piers in his marina. I purchase dozens every year from Tim at Hand's bait and tackle. Would be nice to be able to catch some here in South Jersey. I get some occasionally when I throw the cast net for peanut bunker. Anybody have any success catching spot here in the Cape May area?

·
Registered
31,498 Posts
Use to catch them all the time as a kid off our dock in Barnaget. When ever the boat didn't run we fished off the gas dock. Used small hooks and small pieces of bloodworms on the bottom.

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
capt.harv i have wondered the same thing for years and watch the people in del on rt 9 and other places bailing them at times.there must be a fence in the middle of the pond.i'll ask the millbilly he has done some comerical fishing in the maurice river? fishpicker can you throw any light on this?

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
We used to catch a lot of spot off of the docks in Ventnor/Margate, also with a very small hook and small pieces of bloodworm.

·
Registered
117 Posts
We have bergalls...delaware has the spots......bergalls are as good as spot in my opinion.....hit your fav jetty in the fall...lil clam..lil hook ...you will fill a bicket in no time.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Caught tons of them in the mid 80's on small hook with a bit of bloodworm like everyone else. I used to sell one or two to the Weakie fishermen at the deadend street bay fishing points.
I have no idea if they are still there...

·
Registered
16,596 Posts
Bergall are a seperate species. These are the fish that steal your bait when wreck fishing. Most wrecks are loaded with them.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Harv , like everyone has said itsy bitsy hook and bloodworm . Hit the mouths of the small tidal creeks behind widwood, way behind ! In your area thats the best bet. I get them in small fyke style traps too. Throw netting them in any quantity is a hit or miss proposition, mostly miss.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
We used to catch them in Sea Isle around the docks. The best spots were the deep holes left by the party and commercial boats. That was 20 yrs ago. At $3 each this could be a good job for my kids this summer.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just wondering, but are they still good for bait if kept frozen? We catch a ton of little ones on bloodworm at my buddy's place on the Pax river in MD and live line them for stripers, but can I freeze them to use back home too?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hey Guys,
I`ve been fishing for these little critters for years, I spend most of the summer catching and caging them for Tuna Fishing and Fall Striper fishing, just keep them fed with Bluefish or Bunker filets and they last until the water temps take a steep drop, the problem has been the decline of them in the past few years, once in a while you might get lucky and find a little honey hole, but the numbers are just not there, although this year we found a few places that were holding a bunch of pinfish and loads of baby spot, this year was the worst I ever saw. The bait guys who used to catch them on hook and line in N.J. and sell them to the Fall Striper Guys up and down the coast, don`t even bother trying to catch them anymore, they go out of
state and and buy them and bring them back to Jersey for re-sale, next year I`m taking a week and going to Maryland, just outside of Delaware and catch as many as I can for the fall season,there were plenty of them there this past summer according to good sources, if you get them and cage them, Lock that sucker up, my son and I lost over 200 Pinfish and little Jacks to some Dirtballs in Stone Harbor, I thought I got away from that nonsense when I left Barnegat Light, and moved down here. Either catch them or buy them, but at $ 3.25 each it gets expensive, this is the 1st year that I ever had to buy them, but fish them after the Bluefish move out, or find a place where the Blues aren`t hanging out and
1 Spot = 1 Bass , they are worth the effort if you love Live Baitfishing.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Plenty in the lagoons in many areas. 3 hook set up with small pieces of "squid", pull 1 to 3 at a "time when the yellow jackets are dosilely eating yer bait". Initial chum on bottom (fish heads) brings em round. Keeping healthy once gathered is time consuming. Bass & weaks love em! Cast netters ......see it all now, right?

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
SPOTS!!!???? I thought we werent supposed to mention anything about spots..... ;) ;)
:D

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
I got some in Whale Beach surf in mid Sept but they were only there for few days
Managed to get 4 nice bass on them drifting in the back,they are like candy to bass and weaks
As others have said the creeks and lagoons used to be full of them around corsons

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I was in VA. in december and got some info.They
catch them all year and there getting bigger.
Party boats target them but nobody keeps them
live for bait for sale.they eat them!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.