BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if I was the only bonehead/cheapskate/brokeass person doing everything on their rig? Charter rig, private rig, CC, SF or even yacht...doesn't matter. I'm pretty sure if I did not do everything myself and with the help of my Pops (who always fishes for free no matter what) I don't think I could afford to own my own boat. We've done everything mechanical and comestic to this boat so far...lots more to do, but I think you get the point.:D

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
I do everything that I am capable of doing myself. Oil changes, lower unit oil changes, wiring, pumps, etc. My good friend Rob is a Yamaha master technician, so anything I don't know how to do or feel comfortable doing(timing belt, internal anodes, valve lash inspections, water pumps, etc.), he gets the job. I do a lot of maintenance, but I'd rather do maintenance than make repairs. :thumbsup:

Best way to know your boat is to do the work on her.

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
I do cept large jobs that just are't practical or that I don't have the time for. It is the sure way to know her, and know her well. truth is I enjoy that part as much as I do anything else I do with her.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I do it all, its the only way i can aford it to tell you the truth. I have replaced the head, the headliner in my cabin,broken windsheild, cutlass bearings, install my own electronics, replaced my a/c and heating unit. Right now both my engins are in my garage on stainds, I have rebuilt them and am waiting for April to reinstall. With the engines out I am rewiring everything I can get to, Also painting the bilges.I don't think my marina likes me much. The guy that had the boat before me maintained it with his checkbook with about $4,000 a year.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I'm in the same boat...I have bled and spilled beer on every square inch of my boat....inside and out. Did I mention I lost count of how many times I hit my head while in the bilge?

We should start a "do it yourself" forum on the bassbarn and share experiences and tricks to gettin the job done...just my opinion. I have so many stories and tricks I could share...I've learned a lot over the years with both gas and diesel engines in my boat.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Me and Dad do it all. Remove rebuild replace ect. Although I have a friend do the machine work on the engines and I did have Rosemans do my cutlass bearings last year because he has the machine to do them without removing the shafts. Also Atlantis for the propellers. We let Coastal soda blasting blast the bottom but we did the new barrier coat and painting. Thank god for yards like Breeze Lee, Shawcrest, and our yard that let boat owners be owners that can do their own work.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
where is SSAWED?

This guy does "EVERYTHING" ++++ on his boat. He fixes & repleases things that are not broke. He cleans, polishes & greases the bolts on his motor mounts.
Plus, he works on other boats that intentially do things wrong to attract his attention.
If you want something repaired better than new, just start hammering a screw when he walks by.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ssawed....the ONLY thing I don't do on my rig is polish the motor mount bolts...How much do you charge? I can't seem to find the time to do it!:D By the way....I own a mail order marine parts business...I'll give you a discount... (Joking)

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Faz, I like the comment about bleeding. I can certainly relate to that.

The problem with some of the systems on a boat, they are getting so complex that you need computers to handle the fact finding when you have a problem. Certainly the electronics are something few of us can handle without a qualified tech from the manufacturer on the cell.

I handle all the DC power needs on my boat. I handle the oil changes and the general maintenance along with the mate. We have also ben able to handles minor issues with the genset.

I do not handle AC electric, fuel line issues other than filter changes & Racor cleaning, or complex systems such as reverse cycle heat pump, Lectrosan, etc. Those plus the main engines I leave to the experts. We do know how to trouble shoot everything on the boat that is critical.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
I was wondering if I was the only bonehead/cheapskate/brokeass person doing everything on their rig? Charter rig, private rig, CC, SF or even yacht...doesn't matter. I'm pretty sure if I did not do everything myself and with the help of my Pops (who always fishes for free no matter what) I don't think I could afford to own my own boat. We've done everything mechanical and comestic to this boat so far...lots more to do, but I think you get the point.:D

We do! We do everything, from rebuilding our motors to paint! Its important to know your rig inside and out for when something does **** the bed, or worse yet, you have a serious or life threatening issue...

Whats beyond me, are the guys running offshore who cant even change a fuel filter or dont have a full size toolbox on the boat or any tools for that matter.

If you cant fix it, you shouldnt be running it :)

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Whats beyond me, are the guys running offshore who cant even change a fuel filter or dont have a full size toolbox on the boat or any tools for that matter.

If you cant fix it, you shouldnt be running it :)

I can't count how many times I've changed or drained fuel filters in 3-4s hangin upside down in the engine compartments....happens just like many other problems. I've cruised to the grounds on many occasions and noticed a fluctuation in the rpms and stopped the boat. Everyone onboard is always suprised and wanted to know why I stopped. Changed or drained the filters and went on my way after a few minutes. I've always wondered how many guys keep pushin them until they blow an injector and get stuck. Those diesels are just to expensive to ignore what the instruments are tellin you!

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Yep, been there done that and will do it again! Lucky for me, I run 2 stroke detroit dinosaurs that arent electronically controlled :D... Its all about how she "feels" when running...

If need be, I can change out an injector if one seizes with the rack open or shut and causes her to not start. We carry spares of anything that could be fixed at sea... A case each of primary and secondary fuel filters and fresh turbo socks and the list goes on and on :)

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
We do all of our own work unless it's warranty
I have been a mechanic for over 30yrs
I also installed all the electronics on the boat but opted to have EMC do the auto pilot as I have never installed one
I also help maintain the Big Beal boat next slip over;)

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
If it's not covered by warranty or something that requires a laptop computer to be connected to the ECMs, it's my job to fix it. I've rebuilt Chrysler 340's, Borg Warner transmissions and Walters V-drives (years ago), AFB carb rebuilds at sea, CAT 3208 fuel injectors replaced and fuel injector pump rebuilt, shaft replacesment, oil changes, fuel filter changes, electronics installation, tower steering and controls installation, strut bearings, etc. etc. etc. Been doing this for 40+ years now on 8 different boats.

I don't do visible gelcoat repairs, air conditioner repairs or generator windings. Anything else is worth a shot.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
We talk about doing our own work getting to know our boats inside out and upsidedown. Well if I had a dollar for everytime one of these 1st timers asked me the way to CapMay I would have a few $$$$$$$$$ for those little extras. I would never refuse to help them but I wish they would do a little reserch or atleast take someone with exp. Also they tend to second guess their electronics or if something craps out they can't fix the bad wire or change the fuse and have no way of getting home. Also handhelds are cheap enough they should keep one with them. Wait until this year with Loran gone mark my words you will hear at the Canyon can anyone thell me the way to CapeMay.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Ditto, ditto, & ditto. I do everything myself (always have) except what requires an extra set of hands. Working on the boat is my mental therapy and I enjoy the challange. bruises, bleeding knuckles, or banged up head---lots of times, and, it still feels right. The nicer part is that I don't owe any favors and feel I don't any obligation have to invite anyone down during the season. Those I invite down for the weekend and/or to go fishing are truely my guests.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.