BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
17,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some zones open this Saturday with EAB. I washed all my clothes, organized by hunting stuff, took some practice shots and really can't wait. The freezer is empty so its time to get back in a tree.

F83C9E47-9D3D-4349-AA1C-3DE9B885AE17.jpg

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Shot this weekend, all good. Washing my clothes this week, even tho I typically don't start slinging arrows until late Sept/early Oct. I killed 4 last year and maybe have 5-8 lbs of venison left :eek:

·
Registered
17,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shot this weekend, all good. Washing my clothes this week, even tho I typically don't start slinging arrows until late Sept/early Oct. I killed 4 last year and maybe have 5-8 lbs of venison left :eek:

I will take first mature doe that gets close enough but sometimes it takes me a couple of weeks since I don't bait and I only scout while hunting.
I had 4 in the freezer but with being home for a couple of months I ate it all.

·
Registered
31,726 Posts
Our season opens on October 3. Checked a dozen cameras this weekend. Put up a couple stands two weeks ago. Did a lot of scouting this weekend and have one more stand to put up. Got bunch of new arrows and had them cut last week. I was a little casual on the hunting the last couple seasons, didn't take it that seriously. Had some issues that distracted. Going into this season with renewed focus.

·
Registered
31,726 Posts
Once the velvet comes off, their patterns change. Seen that every year.

We also planted a field in turnips, but the deer have already mowed it to the ground. :D We mix clover in all our plantings, so there's still some green. Not nearly as big a draw as the turnips, though. Deer love them.

·
Registered
31,726 Posts
Another huge variable - the game commission bought our neighbor's property. 900 acres. They have been bull dozing along the property line. Not sure what they're doing. Maybe putting in a road? Maybe a food plot? No idea. I heard they were going to do some cuttings for grouse habitat, but not in the same area as the dozer work is happening. My buddy had a tree stand and a trail camera on the border line. The game commission was kind enough to take them both down before plowing the trees down. :D

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
I got a few pics Sunday of smaller bucks getting hard horns. Last year we basically had zero acorns in the 3 different ares I hunt but this year I can see some it the trees

·
Registered
134 Posts
Permanent stands set over the summer. Cameras have been out for about a month. Ill use a portable climber most of the archery season and part of firearms. Our archery seasons opened this month. I won't start hunting till around 10/10. Then it will be several days a week till December.

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
I don't hunt but lots of them in my yard and area for that matter but the ones in my yard there are 4 bucks and 10+ doe's i didn't think the bucks would still intermixing with the doe's but they are :huh:

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Another huge variable - the game commission bought our neighbor's property. 900 acres. They have been bull dozing along the property line. Not sure what they're doing. Maybe putting in a road? Maybe a food plot? No idea. I heard they were going to do some cuttings for grouse habitat, but not in the same area as the dozer work is happening. My buddy had a tree stand and a trail camera on the border line. The game commission was kind enough to take them both down before plowing the trees down. :D

I read they they are putting a campground and mountain bike trail on that parcel.:D

·
Administrator
18,152 Posts
Nice one!! I had several bucks on my cam pre season but I don't get too excited before the season starts. Come September everything changes. No bucks on my cams in a week but that's not a problem. Some will be back.

Wow that's a crystal clear picture :thumbsup:
Nice Bucks too :)

·
Registered
17,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow that's a crystal clear picture :thumbsup:
Nice Bucks too :)
thanks buddy. It’s a covert cell cam. I stopped using cams about 8 years ago because I felt the frequent trips to the camera pushed mature deer out. Cell cams are game changers to me. The battery lasts 2 to 3 months and all pics end up with in a minute on my cell phone. The video is much higher quality you see on this site because the format here sucks

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
I don't hunt but lots of them in my yard and area for that matter but the ones in my yard there are 4 bucks and 10+ doe's i didn't think the bucks would still intermixing with the doe's but they are :huh:
I’ve had the same Buck and Doe with two Fawns that follow them everywhere it’s a strange site. The Buck is huge so is the Doe, a smaller Buck hang’s with them sometimes sloppy seconds? :D

·
Registered
17,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Anybody scored this weekend
I got a doe on Saturday. The weather was great, deer were moving. The cooler at the butcher looked like it was opening day SG. Big pile of deer

B4FD7233-E3FA-472D-9E78-FCA0F8ABFBFC.jpg

1 - 20 of 189 Posts