BASS BARN banner

181 - 189 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
16,127 Posts
A good x-bow with a heavy enough arrow min 420g at 330 fps with a good, preferably FB head and insert with the proper foc weight will go through most deers shoulders, assuming it did if the shot placement was better that deer wouldn't have gone 250 yds should of got some heart.

·
Registered
31,726 Posts
Today was bear season. My son and I hiked 8.4 miles. More to explore the land and scout than to get a bear. Our property borders 100,000 acres of state land. We actually found an old, primitive cabin, 3 miles out. It has a legend behind it. Called the whisky cabin. People go in and take a drink and leave a bottle. Been wanting to find his cabin for 30 years. Got the OnX app and found it quickly. It comes up as a small piece of private land in the middle of state land. Pretty cool experience.

·
Registered
16,127 Posts
Sounds like a good day exploring. See any deer or good sign Scott? Our guys drove the **** out of the little cover we have no bears, few ok bucks no slammers

·
Registered
31,726 Posts
Sounds like a good day exploring. See any deer or good sign Scott? Our guys drove the **** out of the little cover we have no bears, few ok bucks no slammers
saw more rut sign today than ever. Like they’re getting a late start. Walked up on a bedded doe today. That’s it. Yesterday, Danny and I were out all day, dark to dark and saw 3 deer between us.

·
Registered
17,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #187
A good x-bow with a heavy enough arrow min 420g at 330 fps with a good, preferably FB head and insert with the proper foc weight will go through most deers shoulders, assuming it did if the shot placement was better that deer wouldn't have gone 250 yds should of got some heart.
it wasn’t a shoulder hit. Yes well placed shot does not result in 250yrd track, I’ll have to remember that :cool:

·
Registered
16,127 Posts
It sure as hell looks to me like you hit him in the shoulder, if he was quartering to and you got good penetration he wouldn't of gone that far. Looks like he was pretty much broadside and your shot was way right? Congrats on the rack, nice deer hate to see you lose the meat, it happens to everyone eventually tho.

·
Registered
17,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #189
It sure as hell looks to me like you hit him in the shoulder, if he was quartering to and you got good penetration he wouldn't of gone that far. Looks like he was pretty much broadside and your shot was way right? Congrats on the rack, nice deer hate to see you lose the meat, it happens to everyone eventually tho.
Not really, the shot wasn't even close to the shoulder.
I hit Humerus, the bone which like in humans runs between the shoulder and the elbow. My shot severed his humerus just above the elbow and penetrated the very front of chest cavity. It ended up ambaded in the elbow on the opposite site.
Look below. I circled the deer shoulder in red and I put a big red dot where I hit him
Thanks
L:

181 - 189 of 189 Posts