BASS BARN banner

161 - 180 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
lots of nice deer taken this year....congrats to all (y)......even my butcher has been overloaded this year and stopped accepting deer a few times already.

·
Registered
17,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
lots of nice deer taken this year....congrats to all (y)......even my butcher has been overloaded this year and stopped accepting deer a few times already.
I dropped of my deer at my taxidermist yesterday and he is loaded. He said I should not expect my deer back untill the Spring of 2022
Thanks
L

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Heading up to Pecks Pond for bear season on Friday. Then hunt in Bucks county for gun season.

·
Registered
16,127 Posts
Congrats. One more day of archery for me. Friday is the last day. Taking the day off and heading to camp tomorrow night. Saturday is rifle bear.
Good luck Scott. I'm not headed back up until Friday b4 1st day rifle. Tracy got the biggest we've had on cam yesterday, 145ish 10 ptr. My Dad saw an 8 last week at 30 yds that may be bigger, instead of trying to shoot it he took pics which didn't turn out great through the blind windows but can tell it's big.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Some nice deer going down. Haven't hunted myself in a week. Spent the last weekend with my grandson for junior hunt. Sitting on a stand that hasn't been hunted since December last year.
tv

·
Registered
31,726 Posts
Good luck Scott. I'm not headed back up until Friday b4 1st day rifle. Tracy got the biggest we've had on cam yesterday, 145ish 10 ptr. My Dad saw an 8 last week at 30 yds that may be bigger, instead of trying to shoot it he took pics which didn't turn out great through the blind windows but can tell it's big.
Gotta see what shows up on camera this week. Lugnut es morto, so maybe a new giant moves in to take his place. So far, we have a 9 and a 10 that are probably 130s and then a couple basket racks. One 8 that is maybe 110 inches. Nothing spectacular. Danny is up there now, hunting. Doing Zoom school from the cabin.

·
Registered
17,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
Congrats, that is a really nice buck. Gonna hunt hard next Monday and Tuesday then head up to camp next Thursday night. The new Pa season makes it tough for the designated cook so I will spend all day Friday getting food ready. 🥓🍳
Good luck, will be waiting for some pics and story

·
Registered
17,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
I wrote this up for a hunti8ng forum and maybe somone here may like it...I know long read but alot happened to me taking this buck:

It all happened Tiesday/Wed of this week.I was in my stand on a private property in Cream Ridge by 1 PM. This stand is about 20yards in the woods from a 40 acre agricultural field currently growing winter rye.. Because the field is so big, surrounded by woods, and on one side by housing, I get to see tons of deer activity. It isn’t unusual for me to see 20 to 40 deer in one 3 r hr sit. The problem is the field is not ours and I can not hunt it so I can only hope the deer I am interested in gets to my side and walks into our woods.

Almost immediately I had some deer within 200 yards and by 2Pm there were ten feeding with 3 old does among them. About 3:45 I look and see a buck in the middle, feeding and then checking each and every doe At this point I checked the distance and the buck was about 160 yards away.
Two does ran of the field, annoyed by his advances, but he would feed and then check them as he went. What do I have to lose? I grunted without any hope he would hear me. He never lifted his head or reacted to my grunts and neither did any of the other deer in the field. I repeated 3 more times but there were no takers.
Few minutes later he checked another doe, then turned towards me closing the distance rapidly. The camera went in my bag and I picked up my crossbow. Before I knew it he walked the tree line and turned into the woods I was in, 35 yards form me. I could not believe he was heading for my tree.
However, few yards in he looked back and saw something that made him turn around and face the field. I had a feeling he was heading back and within two steps he would not be reachable. I checked the distance and he was 35 yards but I was rushing, thinking he would move any time. I took the safety off and press the stock of my bow to my chin but could not do it. I could not in my head comprehend what was stopping me from getting the stock to my face. I finally looked and realized the range finder’s string was hung up on the bow and resting on the stock itself. Now, almost in panic, I dropped the range finder, aimed and pulled the trigger. I knew instantly I rushed the shot and was not really happy about it. But maybe there is hope. The buck felled on his face, got up and plowed into the field, falling down and getting up, making big divots in the field as he went. He went like this for about 50 yards reaching the edge of the woods over my right shoulder, I was at the corner of the field, stepped in and instantly bedded down. I could not see him. I always fall completely apart after the shot and this was no different. I got off my stand onto the sticks came down, not sure how, only to realize I left everything on top. I tried to compose myself and before going back up I decided to go look where I hit him. NO blood. I found broken back half of my arrow with tiny drop of blood at the broken end. WTF??? I made few steps into the field and again no blood.
I decided to go back up and give him some time. I have no idea how long I waited, I am guessing 30 minutes, and I decided to come down, this time with all my belongings. Almost halfway down I see rising antlers in the spot he went down and the antlers started to move slowly away from me towards the creek. Now I could see him and he was dragging his right front leg behind him but moving. He got across the creek and then another 50 yards up a very steep embankment but not without a struggle. He stopped on top and then crossed a very narrow field, about another 50 yards wide and step down into the woods which I know have another creek at the bottom. I could see him no more/. WTF. Now he was about 200 to 250 yards from where I shot him and he was on a private property I had no access to.
No way I was going after him last night so I decided to invest little time in getting permission to enter the property the next day. I got lucky. The guys told me no problem.

It’s a horrible feeling to leave the hunt like this but I had a cure for it at home, a bottle of Ketel One and some olives.
After getting home I loaded the video of the shot and my heart dropped. (It’s the first pic below)
Clearly I hit his shoulder and it looked like I completely missed the chest cavity. I texted the shot to my best friend, the guys who introduced me to hunting, and he said “you have made better shots”.
At this point my only hope was to snick in on him with a loaded bow and find him too hurt and exhausted to get up and run away again.
I had things to take care in the am at work so I did not get back in the woods till 8am.
As I approached the edge of the woods, where I saw him last, I took the safety off trying to be as sharp as I could to find him and fire before he took of. I get to the edge and I scanned the area. The ground was dropping quickly to the creek bottom and a very wide swamp, I thought he could not cross on 3 legs. I stood there for about two minutes trying to penetrate with my eyes every bush, every blow down and every shadow. No sign of the buck. Ok I have to step in, knowing the dry forest floor will loudly announce my presence. Three steps in and I see no movement. After a moment I look in front of me, and there his is no more than 20’ in front of me. That was a great feeling. He was cold and half eaten by coyotes but the front end was untouched. He went over the top and died.
It turns out I did not shoot him as high and as far forward as the video suggested. The dot is the back of the arrow which was coming from the side and from the top. The arrow completely severed his leg bone , and the leg was hanging on skin and muscle. There was no exit wound and when I reached inside the arrow was in the cavity buried in the bone of the apposite leg. I made a bad shot and I got lucky – yes I made better shots before.

The pictures of him in the field were taken few minutes before I shot him

Thanks for reading, sorry about the length of it.

·
Registered
17,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #176
great read, glad u got him, nice buck, do you hunt the coyotes ?
Not on this property. I have agreement in place of no firearms here. I do on another piece I hunt in Hunterdon Co., its a farm but despite great effort I am not very successful. They are smart here in NJ and I just can't call them in. However, come January I will be out there looking for them again with my 22-250

·
Registered
8,208 Posts
Not on this property. I have agreement in place of no firearms here. I do on another piece I hunt in Hunterdon Co., its a farm but despite great effort I am not very successful. They are smart here in NJ and I just can't call them in. However, come January I will be out there looking for them again with my 22-250
i shot one during archery a few years back, i have the full mount, i put scrapes of meat etc. in front of one of my trail cameras to see what carnivores are running around: coyotes, bears, fishers, eagles, racoons and bobcats on my land

·
Registered
17,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
i shot one during archery a few years back, i have the full mount, i put scrapes of meat etc. in front of one of my trail cameras to see what carnivores are running around: coyotes, bears, fishers, eagles, racoons and bobcats on my land
I don't need the cam. In Hunterdon County on the farm I hunt I hear them in great numbers almost every PM hunt.
I will try hard again this year and maybe I will get lucky.
I call in many foxes and I take few out as they are also nest raiders, I am trying to help our Turkey population.

·
Registered
8,208 Posts
forgot the fox, yes grey and red in my area

off topic, i was in my hut a few weeks ago and i opened my computer to see when turkey season was, i get to the game commission page and i see the turkey regulations, right at that time i hear a turkey cluck, i thought the game commission added sound to their page, then i heard it again, i look to my right and eight turkeys are walking next to my hut, crazy stuff, it was a friday, the season opened on saturday

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Last night 15 yards from my son while bow hunting.

161 - 180 of 189 Posts