BASS BARN banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Vendor
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buying two (2) new batteries for the boat this spring. I want to get the best batteries that will hold up and have great cranking amps and reserve. Can i get some opinions from the barners???
Thanks in advance.
Smitty

·
Vendor
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How are the optima's??? I know nothing about performance of gel cells???

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Best I've seen are Delco Voyagers, but they can be tough to get ahold of. Easiest way is just go to a Chevy/GMC dealer and order them.

You want cranking amps and and reserve power then you want combo cranking/deep cycle batts which I do recommend in boats. They will stand being discharged and left that way for a week or so lots better than a pure cranking/starting batts.

First order of buying batts is to make sure you are buying batts that are no more than 2-3 months old. Buying batts that have been sitting on a dealers shelf for 6/12 months half charged they've already started to sulfate the plates. That's a coating that won't let them fully charge and will slow up power coming out of them.. Learn to read the date codes on batteries.

http://www.google.com/search?source...rlz=1T4ADRA_enUS436US436&q=battery+date+codes

I've had both good and bad luck with Interstate's. Optima's are good out of the gate, but not much staying power if you need long distance power. If you want to break the bank look at http://www.odysseybattery.com/

http://www.trojanbattery.com makes a great batt. But once again any batt you buy has to be freshly made.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Just replaced my 2 interstate batterys that were 6 years old. Never an issue during the 6 years. The one still tested good but the other only about half. Aprox $100 a piece. I also keep charger on over the winter to maintain charge.

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
i'll second the interstates also
i put 2 group 29 's in about 4 years ago and have had zero issues plus i know a guy that pays wholesale:thumbsup: 100 each and they list for 130 i think the gel's are a bit more

·
Registered
11,868 Posts
Most auto batteries are made by just three manufacturers, Delphi, Exide, and Johnson Controls Industries. Each makes batteries sold under several different brand names. Delphi makes ACDelco and some EverStart (Wal-Mart) models. Exide makes Champion, Exide, Napa, and some EverStart batteries(Wal-mart). Johnson Controls makes Diehard (Sears), Duralast (AutoZone), Interstate, Kirkland (Costco), Motorcraft (Ford), and some EverStarts(Wal-Mart).

I have never had an AC Delco last less than 6 years. Walmart used to carry them but now they are harder to find. For the price they can't be beat.

I've also heard very good things about Cabela's new MAT batts.

·
Vendor
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks alot. It seems the majority votes for Interstate.
Looks like i will go with them.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Interstates as well.Not sure where your from but I go right to Interstate in Egg Harbor Twnshp,they have a no label marine,exact same as Interstate except about $25-30 cheaper if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Ac delco is tops

I have used many batteries over the years and i would agree that Interstate and Deka are very good batteries but have gotten better results with AC Delco. I used to use the Voyager Batteries which were great and got 8 seasons out of them on a 28 Bertram. I currerntly use the AC Delco Heavy Duty Industrial Batteries and they crank my Detroits on my 37 Bertram with no problem. They are by far the best batteries I have ever used. I get mine at Tom Craig Radiator in Palmyra NJ on route 73. You can also get them from any GM dealership but I am not sure how their prices are.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
What size and type are you looking for?

Do you need true deep cycle performance, with lots of heavy discharge between charge cycles or more typical use.

Most batteries called deep cycle, including Interstate and Delco are not true deep cycle batteries, but are more of a crossover between starting and deep cycle. They work fine in most typical boat usage, but you can do better if really deep discharge is needed frequently.

Compare the weight of each battery for a given size class. There is no substitute for lead. True deep cycle have very thick, non-perforated lead plates. Less surface area due to thick non-perforated plates equals less cranking amps, but longer life at deep discharge cycles.

Rolls - Surette make the best flooded deep cycle batteries and Concord Manufacturing / Lifeline make a very good true deep cycle AGM battery.

I've had both Interstate and AC Delco Voyager provide great service, but they were never really deep cycled.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
How are the optima's??? I know nothing about performance of gel cells???
Optimas are AGM. There's a difference in charging voltage between AGM and gel. If you are now set up for flooded you can switch directly to AGM, but not gel. True gel are more expensive and not as popular anymore. The best choice for boat use is AGM, but you can't replenish electrolyte if overcharged. You need to use a high quality, multi-stage charger and keep an eye on your alternator's regulator output.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts