BASS BARN banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've traditionally fished with light mono, the trilene xl line b/c it's very thin for it's weight rating... ( anyone use anything else? dna suffix seemed good, too)

after reading about braids and how they are thinner/stronger & can improve your casting distance, i tried it...

i think they're very sensitive lines and great for fishing jigs & fin-s -- and they do seem to cast further -- but after a while fishing slow swimming plugs w/them, i found i would develop tangles/wind knots...

i read that you should start your retrieve against tension, but i mean -- if you're fishing slow plugs, do you hold your hand against the braid to keep it taut during the whole retrieve?

i've since gone back to mono b/c i'm afraid of creating a bad knot with a fish hooked on or just wasting valuable time untangling a bird's nest...

just wondering if any of you have success fishing braids & slow swimming plugs... and how you do it?

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
I use Fireline all the time except when I troll rattletraps for weakies.

Wind knots can be a problem of the past with just a little effort.

Braids don't stretch. Mono does. Mono has a lot more memory and tends to go back on the reel the way it came off especially when you first start to retrieve. Braids don't retain much memory and don't have that slinky look when you start to retrieve.

Without memory the braids will often form a loose loop on the spool as you first begin to retrieve. The next cast or two especially if you are throwing hard will cause a tight loop of line to grab the loose loop and pull it out of turn off the spool. Usually one cast will start to pull the loose loop over the lip of the spool. Next cast will do the damage. It's easy to overlook because when you are casting you are looking at your target and not your reel.

Now you end up with a twist of line somewhere over the water. As soon as you retrieve the twist will tighten and form the knot.

Simplest way to eliminate this is after every cast take you free hand and pull the line tight before you begin to retrieve. Just by eliminating that loose loop on your spool will end the wind knot problem forever

Doing this I haven't had a wind knot on braided line in over two years.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I have used fireline exlcusively on my spinning reels for the past two seasons throwing all kinds of lures (swimmers, bucktails, poppers, soft plastics) and have not had problems with wind knots. I have had major birds nests when trying to throw light lures with a baitcaster reel loaded with the fireline. When using the spinning rod, I always pull the line tight as I start to retrieve.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I havent used mono on a spinning reel in 2-3 yrs....I use power-pro. If you use the technique described by Chunking it just about eliminates wind knots...even casting into the wind....after you learn the "tricks" of using braid, the benefits outweigh the problems....

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so you pull it tight at the start of the retrieve...

but what about during the retrieve? sometimes i reel the plug in so slowly it seems the line is almost slack.... my reel has a roller on it however...

is the key to preventing knots pulling tight at the start/before the retrieve and however you bring the lure in doesn't matter?

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I agree with Chunking. However I think it is just as important to flip the bail by hand and not reeloing it shut. Flip the bail closed by hand and pull the line tight. As for as reeling in a plug on a slow retrieve it has never given me any problems (knock on wood!). Power Pro is definetly my choice. I've tried others but for my liking PP does the best job!

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
I second what Bgsdad said about bailing with your hand.

I always do it and can't even remember the last time I flipped it by reeling.

The only other time I have wind knots is if I'm using super light mono when freshwater fishing.
Again pulling the line tight works.

I can't understand why they call it a wind knot. It's caused by casting and has nothing to do with the wind. :D

·
Registered
771 Posts
Here is another secret, spray a little WD40 on your braided line. If you do develop a knot, the slickness of the WD40 allows it to pull through. A lot of sharpies up north do this.

Capt. Jeff

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Originally posted by Longcast:
Here is another secret, spray a little WD40 on your braided line. If you do develop a knot, the slickness of the WD40 allows it to pull through. A lot of sharpies up north do this.

Capt. Jeff
That's a good idea Jeff! When Power Pro is fresh it is usually slick enough for this but loses it after a while

[ 01-09-2004, 08:40 PM: Message edited by: Bgsdad ]

·
Registered
96 Posts
2 points:

First - How is the line laid to the spool on the retreive? By that I mean does it lay back on twisted or is the roller free enough to take twist out of the line. This issue has been raised numerous times on other boards and it always comes back to the bail. Most bails have rollers that don't turn. A "roller" that actually rolls on the bail will help to take the twist out of the line. When you cast and retreive lures the line twists, usually in one direction. That's why lines coil and tangle. If the line slides along the roller the twist is placed on the spool. If the line is taught against a rolling bearing some of the twist is removed.

Second - No offense to the Captain but avoid Wd-40. It has gotten a reputation as a fish attractant, lubricant, and corrosion protectant. Somehow, urban legend has it that WD-40 has bunker oil in it. This is not the case! It is made up of 100 % chemical solvents. The EPA went so far as to ask the manufacturer to not promote it to fisherman. Don't use it unless your working in your garage.

GO EAGLES!

[ 01-09-2004, 09:18 PM: Message edited by: Backwater ]

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Gotta agree w/ Backwater, I feel the reel has more to do with it than most people realize. I have NEVER used any of these "tricks " to stop wind knots, I just dont get them on my OKUMAs now the PENNs on the other hand...well lets just say I am using the spool from my 4500 as an ashtray! I'd be interested to hear what reels you guys are experiencing these wind knots on.
as said earlier it does have alot to do with the roller but it also has to do with the timing of the oscillation of the spool and the revolutions of the bail ;) in other words in what pattern does the reel lay line back down on the spool? Does it cross-hatch it or does it lay it very tight?
But what I Have experienced are not wind knot but tip wraps, and they come from dropping down to quickly on the jig or from "pumping" the fish, either way they'er caused by slack in the line.

·
Registered
256 Posts
snapper4,

I was a virgin braid guy until this year and made the switch and will never go back. I fish plugs 100%. All good advice so far, here's what I learned when I made the switch.

1- Flip bail by hand (I'd been doing this anyway).
2- Pull the line taught as described, or I'll let it sit for a few extra seconds and let the current or wind take out any slack. Also, rather than use my hand I'll just move the rod tip back after bail flip to tighten slack then start the retrieve.
3- I only had about 10 or so of these knots and most occured on the 1st or 2nd outing. The newer the line the more wind knots IMHO. If you can get out, break it in (a ball field or the beach with no intent on really fishing just getting the line seasoned)
4- Most importantly IMO is DON'T OVERCAST. This was my main problem. It's very differnt than mono and takes some getting used to. Start slow and easy, don't try to set any records with catsing distance. Any knots I got after the 1st outing or so were due to me trying to get a few extra yards out of cast. If you think the fish are lying just beyond your casts, take a few extra steps, switch to a heavier lure, or get a boat ;)

Hope this helps. BTW I decided to try Stren Super Braid rather than PP, and it's been great.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
The newer the line the more wind knots IMHO. If you can get out, break it in (a ball field or the beach with no intent on really fishing just getting the line seasoned)
ABSOLUTELY! Braid definately needs to be broken in!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thx for all the advice... will give braid a try again...

i was thinking of using powerpro 15 pound test for plugging... any thoughts? is this too thin (diameter) .. i really like using as light a line as possible ( usually 12 lb mono remember..)

·
Registered
256 Posts
snapper4,

It's really a personal choice in my mind as to which size to use. I guess the question that will help answer that for you is "What is your main reason for switching to braid?" (sensitivity, no stretch, thin dia, abrasion resistance, etc) It has a lot of advantages and all are pluses in most cases, but I'd try to determine your main reason then some of the decisions become easier. For example, I made the switch to allow for better hook sets (no stretch as compared to mono), I wasn't as concerned about dia and additional distance from a thinner diameter, plus I too was cautious of knots and getting used to ultra thin line. Based on that I went with 30lb (8lb mono dia). It gave me the sensitivity and low stretch I wanted plus allowed me to knock down my dia a few notches as compared to the 12 or 14 lb mono I was using, making the switch a little less noticable from a dia standpoint.

Do a barn search on PP or braid and you'll find tons of threads that discuss the pros and cons as you've seen here, plus a lot of other info shared on sizes used, brands, leader vs no leader, etc. Careful though, sometimes it can become over analysis paralaysis ;)

If I recall from my research, you'll probably find that most use either 30 or 50lb. Both are a good all around choice to get the most out of the various advantages for plugging.

Good Luck and give one of the barn sponsors a call, I'm sure they'd get you what you need and allow for some conversation on which is the right choice for you and your needs

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Originally posted by snapper4:

i was thinking of using powerpro 15 pound test for plugging... any thoughts? is this too thin (diameter) .. i really like using as light a line as possible ( usually 12 lb mono remember..)
Yep,15PP is just right for alot of situations
I meant to try it last season and never got
around to it,,at times I felt 20PP was too much.
And in the Past I have use the 10PP and that
is a little to thin for me,it was like working
with Sewing Thread...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.