BASS BARN banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
These were particularly effective for us early season last year. There seemed to be more mackerel present in the canyons this year than previous years. This type of lure we have found to be most productive trolled from a flat line position. I am a proponent of high strike drag when trolling... But when trolling this style lure we have found the best hook up ratio comes from keeping the drag just high enough to keep line from creeping off the spool. Once the fish strikes we will increase the drag while the rod is in the rod holder.

·
Banned
1,231 Posts
Solid advice on the lighter drag settings for the Yozuris in the wash....we do the same down here during the spring bahamas run of yellow fellows.....another similar lure that we have been using with a lot of success is the Braid Speedster in dorado or bonito colors....a little different profiled lure which we run just behind the wash about 40 feet back from the screws, just a little further behind the Yozuris, also with the lighter drag setting compared to the rest of the spread in the clean pockets.

For the Yozuri's I run the 8'' size...here is where I buy em...also no dredge needed at 7 knots or so...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yo-Zuri-BON...805?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4842ceaf15

One other trick for the Yozuris is to replace the single hooks with these (while pricey, they will result in a far better hookup ratio):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Owner-9-0-J...011?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f12373a93

Typical spread is two Yozuri's, followed by two Braid Speedsters, followed by two shorts (Black Bart XXX), two longs (bally's on jets) and a county line down the middle (blue/white islander with horse hoo on flouro).

I can't wait for April :)

Tight Lines,

Frank

These were particularly effective for us early season last year. There seemed to be more mackerel present in the canyons this year than previous years. This type of lure we have found to be most productive trolled from a flat line position. I am a proponent of high strike drag when trolling... But when trolling this style lure we have found the best hook up ratio comes from keeping the drag just high enough to keep line from creeping off the spool. Once the fish strikes we will increase the drag while the rod is in the rod holder.

·
Registered
534 Posts
These lures fish and catch best straight off the flatlines around or shortly behind the first wake. These lures should naturally run 3-5 feet below the surface with no need for a drail

·
Registered
619 Posts
I have 8 of those things in all different colors. have pulled them around the canyons for years and have never even had a hit on them.

they don't seem to be a lure that works up north for some reason.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
This yozuri was the only lure that caught for us one trip last summer. We all found it very strange. Had two on the flatlines and the tuna would not leave em alone. All morning long nonstop action. No drail.
Put a chugger or bullet in its place- nothing. Switch back and fish on.

Strange! Fishing the cold side of the break fyi.

·
Registered
206 Posts
We've been hitting the hoos with black/ purple and mahi patterns off and on for years up in 300 to 450 ft of water on the flats of the tails, dip and middle grounds. We'll troll them at 7 knots up sea to 8.5 down sea. I've experienced 1 or 2 yft's hits over the years but you never know- the tuna could be drawn to the plugs and pile on something else. There's a boat on my dock that has taken 5 or 6 BE's with a plug that looks like it belongs in a surf bag. He's taken 1 or 2 a year for the last six.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.