BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Having been a sneakbox duck hunter for over forty years I always had a push pole clamped to the deck.....Just wondering?.....How many keep a push pole on your boat when fishing the back?....It's one of the best boat items you can have for fishing skinny water!......How many times when you're just drifting has wind pushed you into shallow water or into the bank?.....Hopefully you had the motor down and then were able to raise it slightly and get out......BUT.....What if it's really shallow?.....then you have three options.......(1) grab an oar if you have one (a paddle is a joke)....so almost is an oar. It is at most only 7 ft long and pushes "into" the mud instead of letting you push against it.....(2) start the engine and hope you have enough water for the impeller to circulate and then try to "plow" your way out......thustly scraping your skeg on the bottom and maybe damaging the prop.....plus pumping all kinds of mud, sand and sediment through your cooling system.......(3) jump out and push the boat off.....then...the fun starts when you try to climb back in after reaching deeper water...(not advisable when fishing the dark side)........OR....OR....OR....reach down and snap a push pole out of the brackets and get immediate results............I have a 19' Carolina and a 14' pole works just fine.......You can make a good one for less than $50 bucks....
Think about it.....It could save your day (or night).......In some situations it might even save your a$$....

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
I always carry a push pole, but i haven't found the stripers are in water that skinny to often. The electric trolling motor is a lot easier to use.

I use mind when I find that i am in water to shallow to run either motor which happens often if you are really trying to get to ALL the spots. Then there are times I still have to get out and push!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have had a push pole on my 19' Key west for the 10 years that I have owned it. I have needed it a bunch of times to push off rocky areas or sod banks. Mine has a point on one end and is great for staking out next to bars or rip areas.
JMW

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
CamoRay said:
Having been a sneakbox duck hunter for over forty years I always had a push pole clamped to the deck.....Just wondering?.....How many keep a push pole on your boat when fishing the back?....It's one of the best boat items you can have for fishing skinny water!......How many times when you're just drifting has wind pushed you into shallow water or into the bank?.....Hopefully you had the motor down and then were able to raise it slightly and get out......BUT.....What if it's really shallow?.....then you have three options.......(1) grab an oar if you have one (a paddle is a joke)....so almost is an oar. It is at most only 7 ft long and pushes "into" the mud instead of letting you push against it.....(2) start the engine and hope you have enough water for the impeller to circulate and then try to "plow" your way out......thustly scraping your skeg on the bottom and maybe damaging the prop.....plus pumping all kinds of mud, sand and sediment through your cooling system.......(3) jump out and push the boat off.....then...the fun starts when you try to climb back in after reaching deeper water...(not advisable when fishing the dark side)........OR....OR....OR....reach down and snap a push pole out of the brackets and get immediate results............I have a 19' Carolina and a 14' pole works just fine.......You can make a good one for less than $50 bucks....
Think about it.....It could save your day (or night).......In some situations it might even save your a$$....

21 footer. Some areas it's the only way to get to the fish.

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
Ditto here, on the 17 Triumph. Homemade, electrical condiut.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Did some experimenting last year with a 10 foot wooden dowl. Not the most efficient way to get around but it comes in handy. Like you said it'll get you out of a tight spot no problem. Or keep you from getting in there in the first place. I'll have to graduate to the real deal this year or next. There's a lot of good shallow water by me and I want to learn more about it. :D

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
I don t have a push pole, but I have taken my shoes off gotten out of my boat and pulled it off a sandbar a few times...( 20 ft Grady with a Merc I/O )

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
When I was growing up,In the 1940's,we would find junk boats drifted up on the mud flats on Little Timber Creek.We could not afford to buy oars so we found a nice straight tree and we had a push pole.I might say I became a pretty dam good push poler.Today I have a pole on my 14 foot Sea Nymph.I have made push poles for my duck hunting buddies.When the morning flight of ducks are over I wind up push poling the ditches for my buddies.If done the right way,you do not make a sound.Great way to add ducks to fill out your limit.
Question:....Hpw many of you Barner's can scull a boat?? I have an oar lock mounted on my Sea Nymph and my Sneakbox.Once you learn the how to do it you will never forget.Great way to navigate a boat on lakes and streams.Have used this method on the Wading,Mullica and Great Egg Harbor Rivers.Learned sculling when I was a piledriver,working on the water rigs on toe Deleware River.Did not have outboard motors in those days.
I guess you can say push poling and sculling is becoming a lost art.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Push Pole

Always use one fishin skinny water. Primarily the Keys, and backwaters around CBBT when reds are in. In fact, lost my push pole down there last year. Had it snapped in, rough water to get to the flats. Got there and my buddy say's, hey what happened to the push pole. Have absolutly no idea how that thing, all 16 ft of it came loose and dissapeared. It ran down the whole length of the boat. Guess I was paying to much attention to running the boat. Purchased that one from Cabelas, you can buy 8 ft sections and both the tips (point and mud) fairly cheap. Put it together with epoxy. To answer your question, I'll definetly get another. 17 foot Triumph center here.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I inherited a double ender scull boat this year, hoping to learn to scull...I have a pushpole for the sneakbox, but I can never keep the thing straight, I just spin around while polling

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Muddy.That's easy,after you give yoursef a push let the pole stay in the water and use the pole as a rudder,till you feel the boat is tracking where you want it to go.Then bring the pole up to a vertical position,hit the bottom and work the pole for another push.while you are pushing you can use body english to keep the boat going strate.Practice makes perfect.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Gotta have one if you go into skinny water, especially for duck hunting.

Just be sure you get one with non-rusting duck feet. 4th time out duck hunting 2007 I pushed hard against a dry bank, then polled into some mud near the boat. Nearly fell in because the pole stuck about 3 feet into the mud! Pulled the pole up - no duck feet! Looked over at the bank - both "feet" stuck in the bank. Bit of a laugh for my duck hunting partner.

The pole I have is a sturdy aluminum pole which works great. Ordered and mounted a galvanized duck foot that seems to be holding up well. The original duck feet were painted metal.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I make my own pushpole.Pole is white cedar.The feet are made of oak [3 of them] and are bolted on the pole.Would not waste my money on duck feet.
Muddy....Is that double ender a railbird skiff? Many a time I pushpoled one of them.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Y-BUC-BILL said:
I make my own pushpole.Pole is white cedar.The feet are made of oak [3 of them] and are bolted on the pole.Would not waste my money on duck feet.
Muddy....Is that double ender a railbird skiff? Many a time I pushpoled one of them.
Not sure what the railbird skiff looks like but this one was built in Bordentown by Tony Bianco circa 1943. 15' 10", He was a local decoy carver

1 - 20 of 20 Posts