BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
on my canoe i use a trolling motor in the bay, if the conditions are right (no wind) i can out fish most boats

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
I didnt before but i mounted one on the front of my 17' mckee, i cant wait to use it. I see a better drift in my future, perhaps i just slow myself down, or when the wind is across the tide i get to stay in the zone instead of getting blown across it. I am syched up

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
i had a trolling motor on my 14 ft grumman boat but only used it once or twice. I found it easier to use the engine itself instead of the trolling motor because when the tide or wind was ripping, the electric motor did not have enough power to do what I wanted it too...

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
I Wouldn't Fish Without it!

I believe it is my #1 tool for fishing. I attribute most of my catches to the Trolling Motor. I have a bow mounted, 24 volt, 80 ft pound Minn Kota on my 17' Pro Line and what It does is virturally shut off the wind. I keep the boat exactly where I want it 100% of the time.

Since I am usually live bait fishing I do want to drift with the tide, but the motor allows me to present my baits exactly along the productive edges and I never have to start the main motor to relocate my baits.

There is plenty of power to stem the tide if i do want to hold along bridge pilings or other structure and keep a bait stationary or even chase breaking fish on the flats where a big motor might put them down.

I have just finished installing a new pro80 series Minn Kota on my latest boat a Scout 202. I expect this to be the ultimate back bay and inshore striper machine.

If anyone is interested in the right trolling motor for their boat I would be glad to show what they can do and can get them for you and do the instalation if necessary.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guatemala Dave said:
I believe it is my #1 tool for fishing. I attribute most of my catches to the Trolling Motor. I have a bow mounted, 24 volt, 80 ft pound Minn Kota on my 17' Pro Line and what It does is virturally shut off the wind. I keep the boat exactly where I want it 100% of the time.

Since I am usually live bait fishing I do want to drift with the tide, but the motor allows me to present my baits exactly along the productive edges and I never have to start the main motor to relocate my baits.

There is plenty of power to stem the tide if i do want to hold along bridge pilings or other structure and keep a bait stationary or even chase breaking fish on the flats where a big motor might put them down.

I have just finished installing a new pro80 series Minn Kota on my latest boat a Scout 202. I expect this to be the ultimate back bay and inshore striper machine.

If anyone is interested in the right trolling motor for their boat I would be glad to show what they can do and can get them for you and do the instalation if necessary.
Dave thanks. I had an itching idea that it was a good idea to have one. I have a small whaler and i was just fooling around with the idea. last season i would lose my position so quickly in the bay on certain days. You have your mounted on the bow or stern? My only issue is mucking up the bow with equipment.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
I have a bow mounted foot pedal powered 55 lb thrust 12 volt Minnkota riptide on a 20 ' twin vee cc,it is great. You can back troll,hold in place,bump along etc.I agree with Dave, i believe i catch more fish because of it.They can be pricey,but are worth the $.

·
Registered
7,817 Posts
Like Dave with the Min-Kotta electric bow motor. Once you use one you would never leave the dock without one. Most valuable peice of equipment on the boat. You can always keep the boat where you want it and for drifting you can alway control your drift and how the boat lays.

·
Registered
123 Posts
By the way, I caught Guatemala Dave on the radio of Saturday on Rack and Fin Radio. Interesting show. Dave said that the two most important pieces of equipment were his fish finder and his trolling motor.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
vos111 said:
Am I correct in assuming that you need to use one made for salt water?
I've been using a freshwater model for 5 years in the salt with no problems, just be sure to give it a good wash afterwords. I don't fish the backwaters without it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Trolling Motors

What do most of yoy have......fresh water or salt water models? ..... I have a 19 ft Carolina and some of those higher thrust salt water models
can put a hurtin on your wallet...

·
Registered
315 Posts
do the remote models have reverse on them? when looking at a picture of the remotes i didn't see a button for reverse (i did notice the function on hand tiller models.) is it possibly a part of the decrease speed function?

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
I have a freshwater model, im going to throw a zinc on the shaft im not sure it will make a difference but ive seen saltwater models with zincs on the shafts in pics.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
I have a 12 volt bow mount Minn Kota Riptide very slightly used that I can let go at $300 It would be perfect for a small whaler of skiff. You can rig it with one battery that could easily be removed for those few times you won't want to use it. There won't be many.

BTW the fresh water models are tough, but if you are going for a new motor and think you might use it in the salt you are better off with the Rip Tide or Great White to keep the warrenty.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
I have an 18" Lund Alaskan with a 55lb Monn Kota Riptide. It's great for working the sod banks but to hold against the tide I think you need more thrust. Probably 80 would do it as Dave said. It lets me do everything Dave said except hold against a strong tide. If I was buying new, I'd go for a 24v 80lb. My boat is probably 1600lbs wet.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Have an 80lb, 24volt Minn Kota on a 17 Triumph. I don't keep it on there all the time. When I do use it it's great for all the reasons mentioned. The one I use is a wireless remote control with auto pilot. You can control it from a wrist watch sized controler, that's real nice. Be carefull that your mounting is very sound. It takes quite a beating up there on the nose in 3-4 footers on the way back in. They do sell a quik release mounting plate for them, might be nice to have. If you're mounting it thru an aluminum hull, those rubber mounting anchors won't hold up. They get cut thru by the sharp aluminum. Good luck.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Ditto that, most important tool on the boat. It's even handy when you need more of a drift and you can move when the wind is against the tide and get fluke while guys around you get skunks. I have a 17 Ranger and a 24V bow mounted and I fish the bay and rivers. I would be lucky to catch 10% of the hundreds of fish a year I catch if I didn't have one.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Flyguy I have a 17 Logic also and would be interested to know how you mounted the trolling mtr on your plastic boat-- Just screws or thru bolt?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts