BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We crushed the blues today, I have never seen a blitz so intense.Thousands of birds working, Fish everywhere.Was anyone from the barn there to bear witness?

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I wish I was but an electrical difficulty has me dock side until my mechanic fixes my problem.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
No doubt they were thick. Actually pushing water like a school of bunker. Just wave after wave making their way out the inlet. Truth is though, I think they were even thicker yesterday. Here's a few pictures...if you look carefully you'll actually see one of the inlet buoys obliterated from view by the birds!

·
Registered
655 Posts
We were there, Jesse.

I have never seen a blitz like that. Millions of ravenous "racer" blues gorging themselves on bait. It was mostly spearing, which were puked up on the deck.

The best part about it was I was lucky to share the experience with my two little boys Peter (6 yrs) and Keith (3 yrs). Those guys were exhausted, too, from getting up at 4:00, fishing hard, and boating around in the fresh air and sunshine. It was their first saltwater boat fishing experience. So they are either spoiled on fantastic, high percentage fishing, or hooked for life. Actually I think they enjoyed cruising around in the boat, and the wave action, more so than catching.

We had a blast throwing 4" Finesse fish on 1/4 jig heads. Glitter pink seemed to be the hottest bait, but they would have hit any chromed plated piece of sh!t we threw.

We broke out some topwater plugs, and trolled or cast up as many as we wanted. It was particularly cool when they hit it at the end of the retrieve. You saw the blue come up from the depths, whack it, and head for Cuba. (The water clarity was pretty good) I've got some pictures of a bite mark on a plug, which I (or Jesse) will have to post.

After we were tired of catching blues, we did some flounder drifts. I picked one just 16 1/2", and Jesse got one just under 16". I consider those fish that a bonus on the day, as we were really targeting blues for some fun fishing. From what I understand, these racer blues are not bad eating (for a blue, that is ;) ). We'll see. The Fluke was sure good last night.

It was a great day out with the up-and-coming Jess Bloomquist aka FLUKENEWSTY, of GreatBayFishing. He's got some of the best charter tackle you will find; all Shimano and St Croix. He's an accomplished tournament Fluke angler, with alot of experience on the water. I would highly reccommend a trip with Capt Jesse. He's got a new offshore rig on order, and will be doing some serious Fish Pimping :D in the coming months.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Fred81876, Bite your tongue I love those blues. I hope they never go away. They are a blast to catch and great for kids to leand how to fish with and have a great time. Great way to spend time with a young child. My wife loves to eat bluefish and so do it. We actually like it better than flounder.

Blues don't go away stay awhile

Brian

·
Registered
29 Posts
Don't be a snob, Fred. Ask the guys on the East Coast of Florida what its like since the blue fish have gone away. As for a fight a 20lb blue will burn your reel 3 times as compared to a bass's 2 runs and jump out of the water to boot. We all love the stripers but those blue can get a young kid hooked on fishing.

Jim

·
Registered
12,164 Posts
Originally posted by Fred81876:
bluefish are for those who can not catch BASS
How many days have blues saved a trip with folks on the boat who weren't die hard bass or fluke fisherman. How many days and or nights spent on the beach when a few bluefish were the only action..

Let's hope they never dissappear!

I guess you stayed home during the bass moratorium and all the years after where a bass was an anomoly ;)

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ahh the bite marks. That lure looks familiar??? I'll catch blues all day everyday.I'll take 10 2lb blues on 6lb test anyday.

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
Snapper and football size blues are good eaten. Broil the blues with dash of Adobo and butter. I beg to differ that blues are better tasting than fluke. I love a breaded fluke sandwich w/mayo and thick slice of tomato. Um, Um, Um.

I really like Live Lining blues for my favorite fish, Stripers. Mr Striper loves eating snapper blues. :D

Johnny d

[ 05-17-2004, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: johnny d ]

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
Billybaitslinger,
Sound like you had a great day on the water.

That dock looks fimilar...Rand's... thats my boat to the right of your Son with the motor trimmed up.

Can anybody guess what Barner's boat is behind your Son? Hint: first letter is F?

[ 05-17-2004, 10:41 PM: Message edited by: johnny d ]

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Those blues saved the day yesterday afternoon when I had my kids out for a few hours in the fog. The fluke were not coopporating but a short blits before the fog got to thick put a smile on their face.

·
Registered
11,868 Posts
I was there checking out the inlet for the first time yeserday, no boats or fish. Is the fishing better on the North deep side or the South shallows this time of year? I went up to 120 then turned around with the w**d blowing out of the ocean. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That inlet is good all over, it gets a little hairy on low and outgoing tide around holgate. I prefer the inside near Sheepshead.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts