BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Originally posted by FISHNFOOL:
Closed season this winter
Hey You, Did You See My New Cyclones ?
I posted them on your thread in the surf fourm.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
From" The NJ Fish & Wildlife -

Important Changes in Winter Flounder Recreational Harvest Regulations
Anglers should be aware that the rules for the recreational harvest of winter flounder have changed. Modifications were made to keep New Jersey in compliance with the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission?s (ASMFC) management plan for this species.
The winter flounder recreational season for this fall that would have run from September 15 through December 31 has been cancelled. The season for 2006 will run from March 23 through May 21. In addition, the recreational minimum size limit has increased from 11 to 12 inches and the recreational possession limit has changed from no limit to 10 fish.

The new rules will help protect the winter flounder population, while still allowing the state?s saltwater recreational anglers an opportunity to participate to the fullest extent possible in the fishery.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Yaaa i miss the fall winter flounder fishery. I usualy fish for them this time of the year when the stripers leave. I still might go to Oyster creek power plant for a day of catch and release just to see if they are around in numbers. See ya.

Ryan

·
Registered
408 Posts
I usually make one to three trips out in Barnegat Bay each spring depending when they turn on. Given the choice of flounder fishing or stocking my pen with herring I take the later. I have not fished the fall run in many years because it usually coincides with the bass run.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Originally posted by phillyfishing:
ok so you can fish for them in the sping then... heard its fun and alot different from fluke fishing
Season Opens Up On Thursday March 23,2006.
A Good Starting Point Is Barnegat Bay and Points North.A Key To Winter Flounder Is Also Having A Good Chum Slick to Draw The Fish To You..

Good Luck If You Give It A Try..

·
Registered
785 Posts
We used to catch them all the time at Myers Hole at Barnegat Light IN GOOD NUMBERS. The last few years have slowed b/c of Stripers eating them for a spring meal(MY GUESS). A friend caught A STRIPER in 2004 with 11 juvenile winter flounder in its stomach. The restictions to fisherman may help but I don't think the rec catch is the problem

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
your 100% right sledge. The stripers put more of a hurting on them then we do. All the fike nets around dont help either. They should have at least left us the fall season, its not like we catch that many this time of the yr anyway. O well!

Ryan

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Im gonna try for them in the spring. Have talked to a couple people who catch them in SJ at one of my spring striper docks. Thinking about that cat food chum thing while I got a line out for the striped ones.

Never fished for em before though, water temps?

RyanF

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Im gonna try for them in the spring. Have talked to a couple people who catch them in SJ at one of my spring striper docks. Thinking about that cat food chum thing while I got a line out for the striped ones.

Never fished for em before though, water temps?

RyanF

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I believe they start coming out of the mud when the water temp hits around 40ish or so. The best place to try in early spring is warm water outflows such as power plants and such. Try corn, rice, and catfood mix as your chum, it should work good.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts