BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Summer Flounder that is. For the past few weeks I have been tieing flounder rigs for the shop. I figure we are closer to the start of the season than we are when it ended so is it time? For me I can't get enough of it. While the Dry Dock is fun to play in this is where fish get caught. Home Port and flounder fishing. Perfect together. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Making up rigs, checking all the tackle to see what we need and following flounder regs. Hope to have another great season in 2012.

catch em up in 2012:thumbsup:

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
Last season was good keeper wise for us, like FU has written before a flounder will eat baits alot larger than you would think.......lord knows we trolled enough of them up this fall using 9 er rigs while out chasing stripers, flat out painful tossing back 5-7 lb flounder:mad:

I gave fishing live snappers an honest bid this past season out on the reefs.....while I caught some fish on them the biggest fish landed on one for me was a 20" sea bass......not sure if he was trying to eat it or make love to it.....but it ended up in the box anyway:D

What worked for us was once we found the keepers to stay on them, repeat the same drifts with the right part of the tide....and the bite was very tide specific...especially in the back and in the inlet where we were fishing.....lets say we hit them good on the incoming at 10 am on saturday......we would pick at them the next day and at 11 it was like some one turned on a switch and they were on the feed. We pounded one particular snag in the back.....time it right and lift your rig over the snag and drop it just on the other side of the sticky part and you would get bit 9 times out of 10.....be a little off in your timing and you were either snagged and loosing a rig or you surf it right over top of them....we took what we learned fishing that snag and the stage of the tide and applied it to a few other spots that were very similar......they all held fish and alot of our keepers came from those sticky pieces of structure.

Another gem that FU has shared with the barn helped put at least a dozen keepers in the box this past year for us.....Crab traps, I use to hate drifting by them and getting hung up....with a little paractice it gets easier to avoid getting hung up and Fu wasnt kidding when he said they attract and hold everything a flounder is looking for:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
hopefully this fluke season is better than the last two summers. i have fished off wildwood, cape may and the delaware bay all my life and the last two years were by far the worst for us. lots of throwbacks but not many for the table. also same thing on bluefin. last two years we did not get one. drum was bad last spring as well. striper was good in fall. also did one mako trip and got one for the table.

hopefully this year takes off again. looking forward to getting the boat back in.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
You are one of the few that know how much flounder fishing I do...If your writing...I'm listening...:D

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
IF we are lucky we should see some relaxation of Fluke regulations because in spite of the annouced reduction for 2012 NJ missed it's qouta for 2011 significantly BUT we won't know until late March at earliest
There NEEDS to be a drop in size as we are killing the prime female spawners ,99.7% of all fluke over 18 are females

·
Registered
380 Posts
IF we are lucky we should see some relaxation of Fluke regulations because in spite of the annouced reduction for 2012 NJ missed it's qouta for 2011 significantly BUT we won't know until late March at earliest
There NEEDS to be a drop in size as we are killing the prime female spawners ,99.7% of all fluke over 18 are females
That would be great. I would even show up at the meeting for that. I'm not goint to hold my breath though.

·
Registered
34 Posts
B/T WILLIE, How does someone determine the sex of a fluke? If I'm having a decent day I might be inclined to return a breeder. Also heard that most of their breeding is done far offshore, during the winter and in depths of over 100 feet. Is this what you've come to believe?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Fred, I'm all in. As much as I love striper fishing it's the flukin that gets me goin.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
I doubt if you can tell male from female without cleaning and seeing the spawn starting to form . I had 57 keepers this year and everyone had eggs. Study by Woods Hole 2 years ago reported 98% over 18" female
Summer Flounder spawn well offshore on Continental shelf from
sept -feb, the larve drift for 72 hours and hatch riding the currents back to inshore waters . They arrive in various sizes from 3/4" to 3" amd will stay in waters around barrier islands for 2 years reaching 11-12" when they journey back offshore to do their thing
check this site for more info

www.cptdave.com/summer-flounder.html -

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
You said the magic word. I even tried to target them in FL this winter. The problem was what area looks like good for flounder down there is usually loaded with topsail catfish or pinfish. Did manage to get 3 in the back bays. Cant wait for May.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a quick question about flukin' from the sod banks & around bridges. What methods do you guys use, & what baits? I've only ever had any luck with live minnows. And they are always shorts. I don't mind catching shorts all day long because it is still fun but no luck with keepers. I'd love to catch atleast a couple for the box! I'm guessing I'm not fishing my bucktails the right way because I see plenty of awesome reports from barners using them. I tie my braid right onto my lures & bucktails. Should I be using a flouro leader? I know there is no perfect answer to this question & some things work different for each fisherman but I'm at a loss. Any & all info will be greatly appreciated! Hope everyone has an awesome season!

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
I have a quick question about flukin' from the sod banks & around bridges. What methods do you guys use, & what baits? I've only ever had any luck with live minnows. And they are always shorts. I don't mind catching shorts all day long because it is still fun but no luck with keepers. I'd love to catch atleast a couple for the box! I'm guessing I'm not fishing my bucktails the right way because I see plenty of awesome reports from barners using them. I tie my braid right onto my lures & bucktails. Should I be using a flouro leader? I know there is no perfect answer to this question & some things work different for each fisherman but I'm at a loss. Any & all info will be greatly appreciated! Hope everyone has an awesome season!
Seems like your doing something right, concentrate on the front end of the season back there for more quality fish. There comes a time in the summer when you may need to go through 20 shorties to find a keeper bucktailing.

RyanF

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
That would be great. I would even show up at the meeting for that. I'm not goint to hold my breath though.
Would you show up at that meeting to speak up for the large female fluke or to put more smaller fluke in your cooler??

RyanF

1 - 20 of 170 Posts