BASS BARN banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife is about to get laid off from teaching 3rd grade. They are looking to cut positions in the schools to save money. However there are 500 districts in NJ all of which has a super intendant making over 150k per year on average. Does a district with 800 kids in 2 schools with 2 pricnipals need a superintendant? I dont think so!! Why not regionalize and cut 60 percent of the positions there and save the 300 million dollars there instead of shorting the schools by cutting hundreds of teachers. This state id F'd up. To many chiefs not enough indians.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
i hope she makes the cut.. 500 school districts means a whole lot of teachers also. To bad for her the unions refuse to work with the state.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I think the teacher/ student ratio is mandated by the state ...not the unions. Regrdless of whose mandate 25 students per teacher sounds like a reasonable amount. Townships who hired teachers to accommodate that ratio and then experienced a reduction in students for any reason are now hurting since some classes only have 15 students. The state of California has something like 80 districts. 500 is obscene. Time to regionalize.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I agree with you. My district has one super for the elementary, middle and high. He does a great job. I here some of these districts have three supers and have less kids then my district? It will never change the guy at the bottom always goes first, its a shame and it will never change.

·
Registered
14,541 Posts
Yea I hope she makes it however if not we will move back to sunny Wilmington NC. Our whole existance in NJ is so she could teach, other than that we have no reason to stay.
Good Luck with her job but either way it seems you are in a good spot. Wilmington area is growing and becoming a little better every year I'm sure they have needs for teachers there too.

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
I drove past the Montclair Board of Ed building last week. In the reserved parking in front were a Mercedes-Benz 500SL, about $100k, Lexus LS only $70k and another M-B GL probably $70k too. All 1 or 2 year old cars. I guarantee you none were teachers cars. Why do they flaunt it. Yep, vote them out.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Yea I hope she makes it however if not we will move back to sunny Wilmington NC. Our whole existance in NJ is so she could teach, other than that we have no reason to stay.
Good luck I hope everything works out.

We have been in Wilmington for 2 years and my wife is a teacher as well. Teachers here aren't fairing so well either, pay cuts last 2 years in a row, as well as a reduction in teachers and administration, class size increases (my wife has classes with over 35 and more students than desks, and not enough text books to go around), and huge budget cuts (no new books, teachers have a limited number of copies, bus routes cut, etc).

My wife is a highschool math teacher which is some what in demand so her job has been safe. However, there is a huge surplus of elementry school teachers.

I agree with the above comments about Superintendents, in Norther NJ they were earning upwards of $250k+, and then there are assistant superintedants, and other administration. This is all very costly. The flip side is, people like their local school boards and school districts.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
As a concerned tax payer who worked over 3200 hours last year and only earn half of what a school super earns (and took a 5K pay cut), I agree that they need to be bounced out along with their obscene pensions and golden parachute retirement packages. The people need to get pissed off that the scholl administrators are earning dream pay for bogus jobs..we are finally sharing the info about the system and people are getting pissed......we need to vote those people out along with the ones who support them...good luck with your wife. I am sure she is one of the good ones.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yea, fishing is actually one of the only things that make me want to stay. The fishing is not great in wilmington however it is not far away maybe 30 minutes north or south to get into good redfishing etc. Wilmington is a dead zone for the most part.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.