BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All my so called off shore stuff like my Avets, Accurates etc, are all open reels. Sunday I ran offshore and my guest brought a Diawa Saltist level wind. I used it for a bit, nailing some nice red grouper..and Absolutely loved not having to guide the line back and forth. In 144 feet..it gets tiring.

Then I started thinking.. all the Penns, Avets etc etc are all open. I'm sure there's a reason why level wind is not found on these, but I really don't see the downside. More moving parts? Okay, I guess?

Is there one over riding reason that no one seems to promote level wind on anything bigger than baitcasters? I have to say, I liked his Saltist level wind with 50 lb braid a lot more than my penns and Avets.

I'm sure there's a reason, but I don't know what it is.. someone school me.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
One reason could be the potential "side effects" of catching your fingers in a spooling reel. :eek:

I've done it and lucked out. I've heard about it and have cringed at what happened to some guys.

Just saying!

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
They break :D. A reel with a level wind can't keep up with the amount of line that can be pulled from a spool under heavy drag conditions. This causes the line to see excessive drag causing it to break and or the gears in the level wind mechanism strip under heavy loads.

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
One reason could be the potential "side effects" of catching your fingers in a spooling reel. :eek:

I've done it and lucked out. I've heard about it and have cringed at what happened to some guys.

Just saying!
Only Dick would experience this I'm sure of it. :D

·
Registered
4,669 Posts

Just saying!
I'm a dick too. I got my thumb jammed on a 320GTI and not even that much drag but it killed.

Hate to think of the same experience when the line's smoking off of a 50W.

J

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I can understand the Thumb thing to a certain extent, although the Penn International V's have a bridge, the accurate Platinum have a bridge, Avet pro and TRX have a bridge, Shimano Tiagra two speeds...

Granted the bridge is higher than a level wind mechanism. I'm going to have to side with Mike Hammer and the concept they can't make them to stand up to the pressure. But that said, I'm going to buy a couple of those Diawa Saltist level winds for grouper diggin here in Florida and after a year, I'll know if it's stupid or not. The one I used for an hour had no problem slaying 4 very nice Red grouper in 144 feet. Besides I "need" to buy some more gear... ha.

Thanks for the replies

·
Registered
12,896 Posts
My penn levelwinds have broken one time or another usually due to abuse. Be carefull reeling against the levelwind when line not lined up with levelwind.

That being said it is nice when bottom fishing not to worry about levelling the line.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Levelwinds really just arent worth the extra trouble to service and replace if broken with any reels. I dont buy anymore reels with levelwinds mainly because they can break so easy and they really arent neccesary. My one buddy (whos a member here) got a Shimano Tekota last year for Christmas. I kept telling him to forget the levelwind and get a reel without one. He says why and i tell him its just another thing to break. About 5 days later we go out on a wreckfishing boat. Halfway through the trip he gets snagged and starts yanking it. He ended up breaking the levelwind because of how much pressure he put on it. He gives me the old "oh i could care less ill just send it back." A little while later he got the Torium which doesnt have a levelwind. It seemed like he learned his lesson.:D So needless to say if levelwinds cant stand up to a snag theres no way they can stand 20-50 pounds of drag and fast tuna runs.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I have used the Tekota 700 and 800 for years and have never had a problem with any of them.From tog,Tile fishing,tuna,dolphin you name it they have done it.The Tek 700 and 800 produce 24lbs of drag.I have caught Bft up to 180lbs in under 25min with the reel.Railing the rod of course!!!:) Just try to remember don't put your finger in the levelwind.a little common sense goes along way.:wave:

·
Registered
28,819 Posts
an uncle of mine got his finger caught in a penn 965... broke his finger and it was hell getting it out.. one thing i learned from it all.. if it gets caught and its either a screaming reel or caught on the bottom cut the line right away.. his finger is still messed up and he was mad we went in..

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
an uncle of mine got his finger caught in a penn 965... broke his finger and it was hell getting it out.. one thing i learned from it all.. if it gets caught and its either a screaming reel or caught on the bottom cut the line right away.. his finger is still messed up and he was mad we went in..
This was the example I was talking about. I saw your uncle's finger. OUCH!:(

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
This was the example I was talking about. I saw your uncle's finger. OUCH!:(
Yo Dopic, I meet you once, engine smokes and the charter is cancelled. Then soon after I cut my finger on a saw after 30 years with no problems. Are you contagious???? lol :huh::huh::huh:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Levelwinds are obsolete in my opinion. The only argument that I can agree with for a level wind is that you dont have to pay attention when reeling in for a long period of time. However with todays narrow spooled reels you really dont have to pay much attention because the line lays almost perfect. Levelwinds pinch fingers, break and freeze up in cold weather. They suck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I use a Penn 345GT level wind for grouper fishing in FL with 100 lb. braid and it works great! I would agree that it is not the ticket for fast running fish but for pulling grouper up from 250' of water it is the ticket on the right rod.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.