BASS BARN banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's easy to say captains run boats for the money, but if you know the business, you'd realize that can't possibly be the case. It is days like yesterday that remind me why I truly love what I do.

Stan brought his family (kids) down yesterday. He originally booked the trip for sea bass, but I told him there would be a bit of a swell on the ocean and the sea bass fishing hadn't turned on good yet, and that the bluefishing was a better option. He was a little leary, but the kids were all for it; I have never seen a man as dedicated to making sure his kids enjoy themselves as Stan, so bluefishing we went. They weren't disappointed.

90 bluefish later, we were done fishing at 9:30. Going around in one big circle we kept right on the fish. I don't know why bluefishing has developed a bad rap for some, because this is as good as it gets. Steady fishing with a good fighting fish, and when you fillet the blues under 3 pounds, the meat is just as white as any flounder or sea bass. By 8:30, when the first rod would double over, they were debating over who would reel that one in; when all four lines had fish on, it was a collective groan, and a good one! They kept at it, and Stan got a huge reward.

While he was resetting a line, a fish picked it up and started peeling drag. 15 minutes later, Stan had his first ever striped bass in the boat, a beautiful 36", 17 pound fish.

Stan said the day was for his kids, but he looked pretty happy himself!

I finished up the morning drifting in the bay to try to find a flounder, and even that worked out. A few drifts gave me a chance to re-rig all the gear the bluefish tore up while catching a few throwbacks and watching Stan's daughter get a nice 19" flounder. Back at the dock before lunch, what a day!

Sure, the fishing was great, but that wasn't what made the day so special. If you think for a minute about why a man would want to get his kids out on a boat fishing on Mother's Day, and then see a day like this, you realize that even when those special someones in our lives are no longer here, they must truly be somewhere watching over us. When that striper hit the deck and you saw how happy he was and his kids celebrating with him, I'm not ashamed to say it about brought a tear to my eye.

[ 05-10-2004, 05:15 PM: Message edited by: captadamnj ]

·
Banned
2,974 Posts
Capt. Adam,
Even though I don't run a boat for a living, I know where you're coming from. I too get alot of enjoyment putting guys and gals on the meat on our boat. There have been many friends who have gotten thier first striper, bluefish,flounder or what ever and I think sometimes I have more fun doing that than fishing myself, and kids are the most fun of all. I will finally get to take my 8 year old nephew out this weekend after next, and I know it's gonna be a blast watching him get hooked up to his first saltwater fish. Congratulations on a good day on the water, it shows on everyones face that they enjoyed the trip.

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
YOU ARE RIGHT THAT TRULY IS THE GOOD PART.CAPT.ADAM YOU ALSO STUCK YOUR NECK OUT A LITTLE TO CHANGE THERE MIND AND TRY TO MAKE THERE DAY. THAT MY FRIEND IS WHY YOU ARE A GOOD CAPT. AND PERSON.KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
I have a tear in my eye now........great story. I'll be back out with you soon.

[ 05-10-2004, 04:40 PM: Message edited by: jbones11 ]

·
Registered
241 Posts
Atta boy Adam.....well said. I saw you cleaning the Karen Ann around 1PM while I was gassing up and figured you had a good day and got in early. As the others said......goes for me too! I LOVE putting people on fish on my boat the FishieSue...especially those who don't have a lot of experience fishing....just to see their faces light up is "payment" for me....real fishermen rule.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Taking a kid fishing is what its all about. I enjoy taking my kids friends out and catching there first fish. Its an awesome feeling ! Great post

·
Registered
132 Posts
Capt. Adam
Great post! April was just asking me at dinner tonight (yes we were having Tog) when she can go again. See you on the 28th.

G

·
Your post says it all. as a child my father and uncle taught me how to fish and took me as often as they could. now i lead them in the right direction when it comes to fishing the beaches and jetties of LBI. its a great feeling when dad calls that night to tell me that he had a great time. i dont get to fish with him as much as i would like but when we do get together its always a great time regardless of the #'s of fish caught. we're fishing this sunday morning(our club has a tournament) and im already getting ready for it. im gonna go do some scouting on wednesday morning.

That is a great Report Capt! once my work schedule settles down i will be callin to set up a trip for Rebecca and I. Hope your wife and little boy are well.
Nick & Rebecca Cardone

·
Registered
126 Posts
When i caught my first striper ive never seen such a big smile on my old mans face i was 8 years fishing at the parkway bridge in Beesley's Pt. with my old man got an 20 incher and was hooked4life =). Now 17 the oldman doesn't get out with me that much but still every time we catch a fish together its that same old good feeling. I am Hooked4Life.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Cap Adam,

You are right about the bluefish. I NEVER Dis bluefishin'. I love casting metal with light spinning tackle at those cocktails. :D They run, they jump, they tailwalk, they'll zig when you zag. A buetiful fighting fish. How can anybody complain :confused:

·
Registered
740 Posts
Capt Adam, Great post, you got it right, we need more capts like you. It's great seeing a kid catching his 1st fish, or catching his biggest ever, then 5 mins later topping that. I had a 75 yr old man fishing with me last year out of Oregon Inlet, had been a bank fisherman all his life, tried to find him tuna, but only got him a skipjack @15lbs. He said that's ok, it was the best day fishing he's ever had, also his biggest fish ever, and he got to see porpose and an ocean sunfish, greta day, really makes it worth it. Afew days before 2 of his nephews, on their 1st trip ever offshore got wahoo and YFT, out of Hatteras while with me. They weren't charters, but friends, but as I start to charter, I try to keep that in mind that your helping to make memories for these people that they'll never forget. Keep that attitude and you can't help but be successful. Jim

·
Registered
912 Posts
GREAT post there capt. That is why I will in the future get into the business of fishing charters.

Still have a smile on my face after reading it.

Brian

1 - 16 of 16 Posts