BASS BARN banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now and then someone will post something for sale, giving a lot of particulars, except how much money is required to change owners.

My first inclination is to think "forgot the price". Then the price is withheld even after responses (indicating interest) asking for the price, and it goes unanswered. When that happens, it leaps into the category of "tactic" in my mind.

Assuming that is correct, what is the basis of that kind of sales approach? Are they attempting to start an auction bid situation? Anybody?

·
Registered
466 Posts
I had to go back to my two adds to double check myself. I did put my prices in ...didn't put it in the titles of the adds but in the body of the add. Is there a preference?

I have also found that even though you put a price in the add that's very clear you still have people who ask you the price no matter if it says OBO after it....FIRM...or whatever. Never got that one.

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
THE THINGS ON HERE THAT SELL HERE THE FASTEST ARE THE ONES WITH PICTURES AND PRICES.I HAVE BOUGHT VARIOUS THINGS ON E-BAY FOR YEARS AND IF NO PICTURES IT IS ELIMANATED RIGHT AWAY.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I actually tried to put a picture on my adds. Couldn't do it so I just sent a ton of emails to everyone who asked for a picture. Still like to get someone to do it for me since I can't seem to get it right.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I didn't put a price myself, because I really don't know what my boat is worth, but I'm not into just giving it way either. Too high a price people don't want it. Too low, they assume it's a piece of crap. If they want it they'll make an offer and I'll either accept or won't, but not as an auction situation. Interested in a 20' Wellcraft steplift with a tow suburban? Make me an offer.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The intent of my post was not meant to offend, find fault, cast aspersions or any negative thoughts about anyone. I was just genuinely wondering the different reasons, assuming a "tactic" was one of them. Tactic in and of itself is meant as a relatively neutral word, inasmuch as it could mean that leaving out a price might engender more interest, if only from curiosity, or a lot of other things. Who knows. And getting a small auction going is not a bad thing....after all, what else does best offer mean? I think that comes pretty close. Like I said, I just noticed it happening now and then, and wondered. Hey...it's still Winter here :D

[ 03-18-2004, 03:27 PM: Message edited by: sea robbin' ]

·
Registered
374 Posts
I think listing a picture and price is very important. I have asked many Barners for this information, received an email response and came to realize the price was out of my range. Felt like I was wasting the "sellers" time only to come out saying "no thanks, out of my range."

I don't like to respond to "OBO" because I don't want to offend the seller by asking too low a price, or getting ripped off by offering more than the item is really worth.

I think that if I were going to sell something that I wasn't sure what it is worth, I would search around auction sites looking for something similar and around the same condition as my item. Then I would offer Barners a 40% discount! :D

I need to see something before buying it. Like Biggest said, if it doesn't have a picture, I'll look for one that does. Not having a picture tells me there is something wrong with the item. I'm not saying there aren't items out there of value with no picture, maybe the current owner doesn't have a digital camera, or maybe they don't know how to post a picture. I'm just saying that a picture helps a lot with selling an item or even generating real questions.

P.S. If someone needs help posting a picture, state that in you description, I'm sure someone on the Barn (I have done it myself) can post it for you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have 3 items for Sale but no pictures added to the post

can someone help me get pics posted so it's easier for everyone ?

I already have pics on my computer.

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
317 Posts
I posted this here a few weeks back:

Here is how to post your pics,

-go to "snapfish.com" and spend 1 1/2 minute registering. its free.

-then click on the "add pics" link
-you then hit "browse" and find your pictures from your computer. once all your pictures are added you click on "upload".
-once you have your pictures uploaded to "Snapfish" you can right click on the picture you want to put on the barn and then click on the "properties" tab. once you click on properties a box will pop up with a url address.
-highlight this address and right click again. after you right click a box will pop up and you click on "copy".
-then you go to the Barn, click on the image button. once you click on the image button a box will pop up with the letters "http". You just erase the "http" and right click the mouse in tghat empty spot. then click "paste" and your picture will be placed here.

This sounds like a whole lotta work but it really takes 2 minutes or less. Once you do it once you will find it easier each time.

·
Registered
317 Posts
No, I am 99.9% sure that they dont. I dont know what would happen if you didnt log in for a year or so. They might delete you then.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Originally posted by Rageboat:
Hey Far, does snapfish.com delete the images after 30 days like Moment of Fame?
i don't think mof deletes after 30 days,i still have pics in there from last fall including some from the fall no-bones but not all of them,i think each catagory only holds a certain number of pics,after it is full it deletes the oldest pic as a new one is entered.i took this pic at the fall no-bones,its one of the last ones left in the striper cat.with the season getting started its life in that cat. is coming to an end
PS.who is this guy

·
Registered
7,237 Posts
Originally posted by Rageboat:
Hey Far, does snapfish.com delete the images after 30 days like Moment of Fame?
Kev, you have to buy photos from them (snapfish) in a year or they will delete pics. If you buy just one pic, your good for another year.

[ 03-21-2004, 10:27 AM: Message edited by: Capt Lew ]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts