BASS BARN banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is the question that I am getting asked frequently when I ask my friends who fish to attend the march in D.C. with me. I do not have the simple Cliff's notes answer for them. Are there some key points that I can relay to them that would stress the importance of this gathering? I know why I will attend, I just need some help explaining it to them why they should be there also. Thanks!

Remember the movie Animal House with John Belushi????....TOGA,TOGA,TOGA!!!!!:fighting:

·
Registered
325 Posts
well say it this way do u like to fish if we do nothing there will be no fishing at all so we all can do what that lady told us we could do play golf so if we do nothing we can blame no one but our selves plane and simple:thumbsdown:

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
The fisheries law that governs everything we do as fisherman was poorly written. Its interpretation into actual policy (emergency closures, excessively restricted seasons/catch limits, etc), by the enviromentalist appointees of the Obama administration allows them to disregard scientific evidence, make decisions without scientific evidence and to act in the strictest sense of the law that says fisheries thought to be in trouble must be restored as soon as possible.

First, they used their own flawed science to declare a problem, then shut us down immediately and imposed extreme measures for next season, based on that flawed science. The head of the agency that sets our fishery policy is a well-known environmentalist who has championed the causes of ocean closures and elimination of recreational catch.

You will be marching in support of the "Flexibility in Rebuilding American Fisheries Act" that has been introduced in the House and Senate to change the wording of the existing fisheries law, Magnuson-Stevens, from "as soon as possible" to "as soon as practicable" among other things that will ease their potential harsh response to a problem - even if that problem never really existed.

Cliff Notes version:

The fox has been put in charge of the hen house. We are simply trying to remove some of her teeth so that us poor helpless chickens will have a fighting chance.

And that's not the end of it. Large closure areas will soon be coming to your favorite oceans and bays unless we all do something about it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
response for march

Policy is made (or influenzed) by those who show up - if there's silence from those affected, policy will never change.

Politicians don't like active angry voters, so they influence decisions

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Thank you Ssawed, good stuff. I forwarded it to my friends already.
Rocky, you're welcome! Keep spreading the word. The more people that know what's going on the better for us all :thumbsup::thumbsup:.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
just the fact that your friends need to be told a reason for going is troubling.
as fishermen they should be up on this stuff and already know why they should attend.
most fishermen and women don't like getting involved in politics.
i don't either but politics got us into this mess and politics will get us out of this mess.
i'm actually considering running for some kind of political office just to have a say in what is going on.
we need all the allies we can get in positions of power to stop the anti's from beating us!!!!
see you in washington:wave:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.