BASS BARN banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since Christmas I have gone through about 2,500 hooks making rigs for our shop. These have all been flounder rigs using Mustad gold plated offset hooks. We buy them in a box of 1,000. I would like to think that there are still some rigs and snelled hooks tied here in the states but most that I see are done overseas. I have my doubts about quality control when it comes to something as simple as a fishing rig. I don't even know if it's done by machine or by hand and thats why my signature reads the way it does.

I would think that Mustad must have some sort of quality control over finished product and for the most part their hooks are right on the mark for my needs. However there are some flaws that will effect the final outcome in a battle between big fish and fisherman. When you tie your own it's hands on and any flaw will be spotted or felt when you snell or tie a rig. These photos show the flaws I'm talking about. I'm not sure if some production line where wages can't be that high will spot a flaw and remove the hook or even care if it goes out the door for some unsuspectin customer. The edges of these eyes felt like the edge of a knife. I can't imagine any leader standing up to a fight even with a small fish. Granted out of 2,500 hooks I have found only about thirty of them but it's like a lottery where the winner looses. Notice the eyes of the bottom two hooks compared to the top hook thats in perfect shape.

When you tie your own you will find these little flaws and when every cast or drop down could connect you with the fish of a life time it's worth it. If I could I would make my own line. If you don't have the interest in tieing your own then at least do this. Have your own quality control and give a close inspection to every rig or leadered hook you put on the business end of your line. It will pay off. These are the flaws I find in hooks. Look for them. 1. Eye not totally closed. Some bad enough that a knot can slide right off. 2. Bent hook point. Some so bad that you would need to hit it with a hammer to get penetration. 3. Bent or no barb at all. Want to release every fish then these are for you. 4. Sharp edges around the eye. Will cut through leader like BIGGESTJACK through a pork chop.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Bought 100 flounder hooks at Tackle Direct and will snell them myself. I really didn't think about it, but now I'll be sure to inspect each one. Thanks for the heads-up.

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
I tie everything myself.....I have one whole 4 tray Plano Tackle box dedicated to it..I just tie enough to bring each time I fish. After you have accumulated enough supplies its definitely cheaper. And its something to do in the down time, like today with the honking wind.

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
Timely post Fred...

Just came in from the garage... picked up supplies yesterday and started tying up my cod and fluke rigs for next year, a process that will go on for the next four or five weeks until I am totally stocked up and ready to go.

Don't like the looks of a knot I tie, it gets re-done. See an irregularity in the leader, it gets re-tied. If last year's rigs have a nick, they go on the repair rack. If they have been used before, the hook gets a touch of the file.

Buy them from someone you trust, or do it yourself... it not only makes sense, but to me it makes fishing more fun. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Chunking, tell me this....

You're getting ready for the Official Unofficial flounder tournament with BIGGESTJACK and HARRY of Harry's Corner. You're the defending Champion having swept all categories last year. BIGGESTJACK, still whining from the agony of defeat from last year is telling anyone who will listen that this is HIS YEAR and that he intends to wipe the deck with you and Harry. BIGGESTJACK calls from North Kentu...er, I mean North Carolina and announces that wild horses couldn't keep him away from this years tournament and asks you to tie a few special flounder rigs for him.

Remembering last year's tournament and smiling ear to ear as you recall the look on BIGGESTJACK'S face when you caught the biggest flounder only 30 seconds after BIGGESTJACK took the lead, you do the following:

A. Search through 2,500 hooks looking for the sharpest possible hooks for Jack's rig so the competition is fair and square

B. Search through 2,500 hooks looking for the hooks with the sharpest edges around the eye

C. Search through 2,500 hooks, selecting the six dullest hooks and then bend the barb back to the shaft, crimp the leaders so they break at the slightest tug on the line

D. Consider option A and summarily dismiss that choice

E. Decide on a combination of options B and C, give them free of charge to BIGGESTJACK and wish him the best of luck and tell Harry to bring a few extra pizzas

I GUESS I'LL NEVER UNDERSTAND WHAT SOME PEOPLE WILL DO FOR $3 ! ! !

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I kind of do the same thing when I remove the paint from the eyes of jigheads. I completely remove ALL of the paint from the eye so there's no rough edge between where the paint is and the metal of the eye.

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
you're getting ready for the official unofficial flounder tournament with biggestjack and harry of harry's corner. You're the defending champion having swept all categories last year. Biggestjack, still whining from the agony of defeat from last year is telling anyone who will listen that this is his year and that he intends to wipe the deck with you and harry. Biggestjack calls from north kentu...er, i mean north carolina and announces that wild horses couldn't keep him away from this years tournament and asks you to tie a few special flounder rigs for him.

Remembering last year's tournament and smiling ear to ear as you recall the look on biggestjack's face when you caught the biggest flounder only 30 seconds after biggestjack took the lead, you do the following:

A. Search through 2,500 hooks looking for the sharpest possible hooks for jack's rig so the competition is fair and square

b. Search through 2,500 hooks looking for the hooks with the sharpest edges around the eye

c. Search through 2,500 hooks, selecting the six dullest hooks and then bend the barb back to the shaft, crimp the leaders so they break at the slightest tug on the line

d. Consider option a and summarily dismiss that choice

e. Decide on a combination of options b and c, give them free of charge to biggestjack and wish him the best of luck and tell harry to bring a few extra pizzas

i guess i'll never understand what some people will do for $3 ! ! !
in the back of the boat sits lard as$ ulhman with both sets of baits.
one set is pristine and poor harry and biggest get the crap.clammin tells the true my hooks all have little tite's everywhere. But but but
after 4 years we are tied at 2 wins each.

·
Registered
15,264 Posts
It's a shame Mustad is having their hooks made in China. They had major problems 2 years ago with quality control.

·
Registered
7,068 Posts
Does this mean if I lose a flounder while using one of your rigs I can cuss you and not the Chinese ? :D

Kidding of course :D:D

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
in the back of the boat sits lard as$ ulhman with both sets of baits.
one set is pristine and poor harry and biggest get the crap.clammin tells the true my hooks all have little tite's everywhere. But but but
after 4 years we are tied at 2 wins each.
Nine months and you still cry. Can't imagine how much it must bother you to be beat that bad. Oh wait a minute, I can. I'll just pop in the DVD and watch your face when I pull in the winner. :razz:

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Does this mean if I lose a flounder while using one of your rigs I can cuss you and not the Chinese ? :D

Kidding of course :D:D
Depends on how you loose it. If you pull a BIGGESTJACK and stop reeling half way in so you can eat a few slices of pizza then it's not my fault. :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
3 or 4 head shakes and back to the bottom.......

New member to the barn guys. :wave:Great stuff and valuable info. Just thought I'd back up Fred's finding with some of my own just in case you're still tying in April. 200 ct. of 3/0 Mustad's, had 7 with eye issues and another dozen with either overheating or plating issues during manufacture. Close to 10% reject rate doesn't say much for quality control and what makes it to the package. I could see one of these raking through a leader in no time.

·
Registered
22,958 Posts
Thanx Chunking.:thumbsup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts