BASS BARN banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought some of you would be interested in seeing these photos. To set the stage for this, the fuel line pictured is not quite 2 years old. In 2012 I replaced the fuel tank in my boat(81 20' Robalo CC). At that time, I replaced every hose, fitting and clamp in the fuel system, from the fill to the motor. No sense not doing that when you have the dedck up, and I wanted to start with a clean slate after all of that work. Yesterday, while finishing up with spring preparations, and after replacing the element in the Racor filter, I decided to pump the ball some so that when the marina people put the boat in the water there would be fuel in the line and filter and they wouldn't have to pump the ball for 10 minutes to get the boat started. I noticed that after I squeezed, it was not popping back out like it should, which should be within a couple of seconds. So I checked the end into the motor and it was pumping it out fine, and decided I should go ahead and check the end that comes off of the Racor. Hmmmm. I pry it loose and look into the hose and here is what I see. It looks like a piece of plastic stuck in the hose. How could that get through the filter? Well, it couldn't, it was a piece of plastic, and it was the inner liner of the fuel line, which is a Moeller and good quality. The other thing is, the barbed fitting was a little larger than it should have been, and I remember this when putting this on just about 2 years ago. So what I surmised had happened was, the larger diameter barb had over stressed the fuel line construction when I put it on. Over the last 2 seasons the fuel ate into the separation of the layers of the hose, and eventually I ended up with what you see. I guess this could have happened over the winter, but my guess is that it was like this when it was put up. And by the way, the boat was running fine at that time and it did all last year. But sooner or later, and priobably sooner, this was going to cause me a major problem. I am glad that I have gotten into the habit of checking little things out in the spring. So I have now learned two lessons:
Never use and oversized barb fitting, even if you can make it work
Check your fuel lines any way you can at least every year

Finger Blue Skin Azure Electric blue Finger Skin Thumb Photography Circle Finger Joint Metal Thumb Silver

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Just had the same thing. The Moeller is not good quaility. It is junk, JUNK, junk. Never again. I just had to redo the carbs from last late july and august, Moeller is bad.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Honda has the best fuel line out. I just replaced mine on my Maritime only cause it was 12 yrs old. There was nothing wrong with it. The old one has resumed duty for service work. The Quicksilver gray fuel line has the same issues as the moeller. I've replaced a ton of that stuff. You can thank the govt. as now all fuel lines must have a barrier lining. I just ordered some Shields A 1 3/8" supply line for a job. I'll report on my findings later.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I agree that the Honda lines are great. I replaced my line from the tank to pump bulb with automotive fuel line 3 or 4 years ago with absolutely no problem.

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
After having the fuel line between my racor and engine start to leak 4 years ago while out at Ship John I now check them several times a season and replace them every 2 years. I often wonder what the fill hose looks like? I guess I'll replace that next.
What I'd really like to replace is the moron who decided corn would be a good additive to gasoline. 1000's of boaters have spent hundreds of thousands in repairs because of an moronic law that has decreased fuel efficiency, raised the cost of everything associated with corn and generally screwed the public. FOOD DOES NOT BELONG IN FUEL

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I used factory lines on my Johnson 5 years ago and everything still looks great. I stay away from the gray ****.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts