BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
need a few opinions?? my wife has given me the green light to go anywhere to fish for 7-10 days anywhere:).. I have a few ideas, costa rica, belize, long range san diego, and or New Zealand. I am looking to go in jan-april 2011 anyone have any experiences to share or great all inclusives that they have been on! I would love to fish sails on the fly maybe do some back country and do multiple days on marlin,tuna,etc.

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
IMO I would scratch New Zealand, the flight is too far for such a "short" trip. I did Costa Rica a few years ago and it was a blast. I think C. America would be the spot. Have you ever seen the ads for Tropic Star in Panama? Big $ but it looks sick: http://www.tropicstar.com/

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks o'hana thought the same for new zealand. I have looked at Tropic Star and is in consideration also have thought about golfito. would love to put this together with a group of guys, my crew can't do it so if anyone else is interested let me know. we can get together over the summer for an offshore trip and plan it out!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
385 Posts
Golfito is great......slow this year though along with all of Central Amer. because of el nino. Still getting fish. 2-6 sails a day instead of 12-20 like last year,plus some marlin and tuna. Oh also all the dorado you could ever want. I would book your trip last min. for next year see if la nina is a problem or not. If la nina becomes a problem fish end of Feb when the water temps are the highest you'll still have great fishing. Had one day there last year with 192lbs yellowfin, 25 sails and jump off a 350 blue! It doesn't get much better than that!

·
Registered
222 Posts
I would not write off New Zealand. In my opinion, one of the most gorgeous places on earth. You can do both a freshwater fly fishing trip for half the time, and the other week focus on salt water pelagics:thumbsup: Realistically, a twelve day trip and longer would be the way to go. Although I have been to Australia for a week. The negative is the loss of days traveling. If you're looking for a truly once in a life time trip, you can definitely find that in New Zealand. Not many places in the world that offer the different landscapes and fishing options.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
iI might be getting a slow start

But by 2011 Fish Guatemala should be going full steam. we're still having some technical dificultities with the paperwork, I'm still hoping to get the boat launched before Holy week.

I will always be available to answer questions and help with all aspects of a great fishing and touring trip.

·
Registered
39 Posts
i think that Isla Maujures MX this year has been as good as it gets.

Pros:
1. Three hour direct flight 300$
2. The bite has been consistent ( call it 10 to 30 bites )
3. Lodging and charters are cheap
4. The bite has been inside 20 miles max 40
5. Food is ok
6. Night life is outstanding

Cons:
1. Can be Rough
2. Mainly Sails with occasional Wahoo
3. Flight Schedules make you burn a travel day each side of trip

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
If money is not a problem, go to the Royal Star of San Diego for tagging trip which can fish closed Revillagigedo Islands in Feb or April.
You can not find better places of yft and wahoo action than this trip any where in the world.

---------------------------

www.jignpop.com

·
Banned
339 Posts
just read a post on another site by Larry Dahlberg from The Hunt for Big Fish.
The question was, where would you go fishing if you had any chopice on the planet?

Galopogos is his choice. He says marlin, tuna, wahoo, and anything you can imagime on the bottom or casting a plug.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Wow, 7-10 days? The caribbean, CR, Cabo, Guatemala are all great trips but can be done on a four day weekend, so wouldn't go there. A longer trip like this is a real treat. I loved Kona, great fishing, lots to do, still in the US. Where else can you catch a #40 YFT while surf fishing. If I was in the same situation I would do Panama. It's on my list, havent been there yet. Heard great things about Galapagos, but also heard it was very expensive. I guess I have a few questions, what is the budget and who are you going with? That might narrow the search.

·
Banned
7,247 Posts
My vote is...

Guatemala...I am saving those pennies and will get there soon I keep seeing those pictures and stories of 20+ sailfish per day at places like Casa Vieja, and have talked with a couple guys who have been there and they tell me it is even better in real life.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
need a few opinions?? my wife has given me the green light to go anywhere to fish for 7-10 days anywhere:).. I have a few ideas, costa rica, belize, long range san diego, and or New Zealand. I am looking to go in jan-april 2011 anyone have any experiences to share or great all inclusives that they have been on! I would love to fish sails on the fly maybe do some back country and do multiple days on marlin,tuna,etc.
S Pacific/ new Zealand/ Great Barrier reef, Read the article in last months sportsfishing on long range boats. The one in Australia that fishes the great barrier reef sounds freaking amazing.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.