BASS BARN banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the coast guard reserve course 12 yrs ago in PA. I was pulled over for a safty check last week and the coasties told me that NJ may not accept PA's safe boater course. Does anyone have any info on this.

·
Registered
13,683 Posts
I have the PA Boater Safety Cert Card, I spoke with the NJ State Police and the officer there said as long as I had a cert it would be ok, now with that said, so far I have not been pulled over to test this.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
The way I understand it is if the boat is registered in NJ...then you need a NJ certificate or equivalent (meaning proctored course/test)...

If the boat is from out of state than almost any certificate/proof will do....

That's straight from the top at Trenton...not some local guy passing info from some local guy.....I've been teaching the course for 6 years now and work for the largest private boating school in NJ.....

·
Registered
408 Posts
I got my cert threw the internet, I have it laminated and everything, it says certificate for boaters safety. I hope it works because I don't want to take the test again.:mad:

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
n.j. cert.

you need to take a 8 hr. course and/ or a test given by a n.j. approved instructor. an on line test or course is not n.j. approved and will not be recognized by the marine police in n.j. capt. chuck

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
I think I know the answer to this. If you are a NJ resident then you need a NJ safety Course. If you are from out of state you need to have a safety course from the state you reside in. Unless you fish more than 90 days in NJ waters. Then you have to have a NJ cousre. The state the boat is registered in shouldn't matter because if someone from PA is running my NJ registered boat, they would be okay with the PA safety card.

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
Jay, I asked the NJ marine police at the Atlantic City boat show in the spring the same question. After showing him my card he said it meets the requirements. The coarse has to be approved by the National Association of State Boating Law Administrators. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Just because a course is NASBLA approved doesn't necessarily mean it's NJ state approved- as per conversation with NJSP yesterday. A NASBLA agency has to also submit their course to NJSP and be approved. If the agency didn't file the proper paper work, the cert. is not valid for NJ! You can submit a copy of the cert that you have to NJSP and they will tell you whether or not it's valid for the state of NJ.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
You can interpret this however you'd like. This is the direct quote.

"Out-of-State residents in New Jersey for less than 90 days with a certificate issued by their state or country; OR written proof of completion of a substantially similar course to the NJ-approved course will satisfy the education requirements."

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
If your boat is registered in NJ you must have a NJ cert to operate the boat.

If your boat is registered out of state then you can have a cert from that state. Either way you need to have the safety cert if you are at or bellow the age requirement for 2006.

The right hand corner of that page refers to out of state boats operating in nj waters

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
so if i take my boat out, registereed in NJ and everyone else that is on the boat is from another state, they can't operate my boat? I don't think the registered state of the boat has anything to do with it.

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
The OPERATOR of the vessel MUST have a safe boating cert that is HONORED by the State of NJ. If he/she has one from another state, be sure that the cert. is also approved by the state of NJ. There is soooo much confusion with the whole thing.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
BigSexy said:
so if i take my boat out, registereed in NJ and everyone else that is on the boat is from another state, they can't operate my boat? I don't think the registered state of the boat has anything to do with it.
If they don't have a NJ cert or an NJ approved cert they can not operate a NJ registered vessel in NJ waters

1 - 18 of 18 Posts