BASS BARN banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I have had a horrible year with weakies.(not even one) :mad: I've been working hard and I'm heading out tonight to give it my all again. I'll let you know how I do and wish me luck, I'll need it.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I just got in...wind wind wind and water water water...the highlight of the night was the moon rising. I had to run my boat from Somers Point to WW...this morning it was beautiful, flat and warm...tonight's run back was windy, choppy, and cold.

Tried fishing tonight but didn't have a single nibble...this morning I saw a number of small fluke caught but tonight was just nasty with the wind.

·
Registered
7,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I just got back and unexpectedly I caught a Bluefish ;) I haven't seen many of them this year. I was out with Iggy and let me tell you he is the weakfish master. The only two fish I saw caught was my Blue :mad: and a beautiful 11 1/2 lb weakie caught by Iggy. Congrats Iggy you worked hard for it. As for me my quest continues. I will not give up.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Fishenough...I'm with you. I still haven't landed
a weakie this year. That's not to say I didn't have
my opportunities. Over the weekend I dropped a
couple of nice ones at my feet. Talk about frustrating!
Well, keep at it. Our time will come

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
no weaks for me either guys...of course I had my share of the wind last night and today it has be moderate all day....aaarrrrrggg

gotta get soem more work done...mybe I can sneak out tomorrow? HAhahahaha....

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Hey Fishenough, thanks for the kind words, i think if you fish that spot that we fished last night, on the down side of this moon, you will get them, that fish i caught was 35inches, and 12.23 lbs officially, those fish will stay there, because there is bait present, the fish i caught was loaded with 2 inch sandeels, probably over a hundred in it's stomach, the first decent amount of bait that i have seen, these fish are spawned out for the most part and looking to feed!GO GET EM!

·
Registered
820 Posts
Nice fish...
I hooked into a 30+ weakie last summer fishing a black bomber from my kay at 12:00am. Got towed around for a bit and wound up with a great dinner the following day. Since then, I haven't caught one. It was my first in 2+ years. I remember 5+ years ago they were so think you couldn't- not catch them. Hopefully they will make a comeback, or I will learn how to catch them again.
What area do you fish (no specifics)
Good luck.
brent

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
South Jersey! from Oceancity to Stoneharbor, the fish are there, at all the usual spots, persistance is the key, fish hard, and put in the time, and you will be rewarded!

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
Is everyone still using bubblegum fin-s? Is there some that resembles to 2" sandeels?

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
RhinoScores, these fish have spawned out for the most part and are looking to feed, my last 2 trips i have done well with mirrolures, i have friends that have been getting them on Bombers, up until this week all of my weakies have been caught on fin-s, i think that they will hit just about anything if you can find them, if you can find a spot with some substantial bait, i can almost guarantee you will find the weakies, fish the beginning and ends of tides, in those areas where there is bait, and you will increase your chances of catching them, i was excited about seeing those sand eels because it is the first real good amount of bait i have come across this year in the back bays, my fear was that these weakies would get done spawning, and would immediately head for the ocean looking for something to eat, but with some bait showing up like the sand eels that were in my fish from last week, i believe we will have a couple more weeks of good fishing with these unbelievably large weakfish!

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
Iggy and Fishenough...thanks for the info guys. I must admit I have been targeting stripers on the beach and getting nothing but sharks. Seeing that the temps have climbed I'll now make a move towards the tiderunners in the inlets and bay.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.