BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I spray my reels off with fresh water then after they dry i spray WD-40 on them and i Just wanted to know if WD-40 will hurt any Braided line like my Power Pro?????:confused:

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
I hope not, I've been spraying my reels with PP for around 6 years. I think you'll be ok.

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
Eugene - you may want to stop spraying your reels with freshwater and just use WD40. The reason being, I sprayed down my reels with water after every trip and in less than 1 year my Shimano spools began to corrode. From what information I could find, it seems that as the braid line dries on the outside it seals the moisture in and does not allow line underneath to dry, which is really really bad for metal. After Shimano replaced 4 spools over the winter, I used CorrosionX to treat all the spools and reels before spooling up with PowerPro. I will use WD40 to wipe down the spools and reels after each use this year.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Only think I would add....Wd is great stuff, But after your spray you really have to wipe off the excess or it will attract dirt, sand etc etc and could add to corrosion problems...I see it at work all the time...

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
freaky One said:
Only think I would add....Wd is great stuff, But after your spray you really have to wipe off the excess or it will attract dirt, sand etc etc and could add to corrosion problems...I see it at work all the time...
That is exactly why I spray it on a paper towel and wipe down the reels. I will hit a couple spots (roller and bail pivots) directly with the small straw attached to get in down in there.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Greg, I'm not sure I would spray directly inside any of your rollers or things of that nature where you require a little bit of grease/oil to keep the parts moving freely. The WD40 will dry out any of the oil that is in there and leave you with very little lubricant. Many folks think WD40 is a lubricant, it's not really. It will lube in the short term while still wet, but it dries very thoroughly leaving no residual lubricant behind. Be sure to reapply a drop of oil to your roller after hitting with the WD40. Just my $.02

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
For many, many years, I've been using a product called "Reel Saver". They've got this cleaner that you spray on, let sit for a minute or two, then wipe off. It gets everything off the reel. Amazing stuff. Works good on your hands, too, and it smells nice. Hasn't seemed to hurt the braid, either.

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
Even Steven said:
Be sure to reapply a drop of oil to your roller after hitting with the WD40.
Good point.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Wd-40

Keep in mind that WD-40 is a petroleum-based solvent product that is not environmentally safe. And, it accelerates rust. But if you find interesting new applications for it, use it in moderation.

We want to protect the fishing industry from finger pointing by the environmental nuts.

Greg Cohen
Northeast rep for Reel Saver
www.mil-comm.com
Made in NJ, USA

·
Registered
843 Posts
WATER DISPLACEMENT F40 has broken the hearts of many gun owners.NJ angler bill is more on the right track.spray on cleaner and wipe off.surfcaster adv a product that should do the job

·
Registered
198 Posts
This was a very helpful post, I've often wondered about about WD on reels, seems obvious. I'm gonna check out those other products now.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Reel Saver is a synthetic based on a weapons technology developed for the US Military where extreme conditions including sand, saltwater and/or serious cold were environments. The gun lube is TW-25B and MC-3000, as used on all of the gatling guns on the aircraft weapons throughout the US military. Used by SigSauer and Glock .. FN and Dillon Aero .. US Special Forces and all of the Federal Agencies. I know alot of companies claim similar, but this company is the"reel" deal.

www.mil-comm.com

Also, Reel Saver is used in the manufacture of reels for Abu, Shakespeare, Penn and others.

Only a very modest amount is needed to protect the parts ... make them run smooth ... and work under all conditions > grease or oil.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
If you're lubricating the gears and or shaft, use stuff made for that- Penn has a decent reel lube. IF you're handle is squeeking, give it a shot of WD-40, but don't confuse one w/ the other.

I've had an Emblem Pro goin' on 4 years now, and I've never opened it up! Not as smooth as it used to be, but a quick squirt w/ fresh water (don't marinate it!) after use and done! NO problems. It's not my no. one reel anymore, but I still use it 50% of the time.

OH, and WD does catch fish- my buddy squirted his clam, cast OVER my line, and caught a 48 lb striper! True story.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
i use wd40 besides oil 3in 1 to moving parts extc,no problems in fact i spray whole spool at start of firstspot it also does attact fish less knots casting especially casting and also farther cast

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I have been using the Penn reel cleaner with no problems for 2 years now, I use wd for other applications, but the Penn cleaner is what I use to clean the rods and reels, and as stated I ALWAYS spray a lint free towel and then apply. I would like to check out the Reel Saver product, where can I pick it up?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Blakemore Reel Magic is some good stuff too. Stay clear of wd-40 it can cause more harm than good. Like others have said, its a solvents and eats away at your grease and oil leaving your gears and bearings bone dry. I work for a shop that does reel repairs and we have found that Super Lube makes the best grease and oil.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts