BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what do you guys think?

will yamaha f115 power my 1890lb, semi V (14degree deadrise at transom), 21' center console??

does anybody have this motor? If so what is your boats weight, length, hull type, and deadrise at transom??

what are your seconds to plane, top speed fuel economy???

Pro's and cons to the motor???

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Solo yes however it will be slow. I had the f115 on my Parker 1801 and it was ok even with 3 on board and a full livewell. I would do a 2 stroke 115 like an etec or the f150.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmm-yes that is similar to my hull-what is your definition of slow?? to some slow is 40nauts to me 40 is way too fast!

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
Solid motor, but 115HP is a little small for a 21' boat. I'd go with a 200HP model. You'll get better performance and a more durable engine because it won't be working on the edge every time it is running.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
I think too under powered.
jeez I put a 115 on my 17' Mako and that was a perfect fit.

·
Registered
554 Posts
We have an F115 yamaha on a 20D Maritime. It does 33 knots wide open with one person. I think it is a decent fit but you will be cruising at 40-45k rpms, not that the engine can't take it, this one has over 1000hours on it and still going. Really depends on what you want to do but the weight of the F115 really fits with the boat. Is the 150 that much heavier? It would be nice to have a couple extra horses but not necessary in our situation.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
We have an F115 yamaha on a 20D Maritime. It does 33 knots wide open with one person. I think it is a decent fit but you will be cruising at 40-45k rpms, not that the engine can't take it, this one has over 1000hours on it and still going. Really depends on what you want to do but the weight of the F115 really fits with the boat. Is the 150 that much heavier? It would be nice to have a couple extra horses but not necessary in our situation.
Yeah good point Adam, I'm not big on running high rpms as I've learned my lesson on that-popped a rod 18 miles off and was dead in the water last season-that suckd-I guess I should go with the 150....Wish I could try a 115 before I decided...lol..what does your boat weigh?? that maritime has a semi V??? 6 degrees at transom?? -there's a big difference in displacement between a semi v and a deep V which is why i think I may be able to get away with the 115-A heavy 21 v hull would def be way too slow with only 115-but maybe not mine...

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think too under powered.
jeez I put a 115 on my 17' Mako and that was a perfect fit.

what is the weight and hull shape of your boat deadrise at transom???

Yes a 115 is perfect fit for deep V mako 17' I agree-but put that on a 17' semi V and you'll be flying-

Is that you Don??? LOL

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
I use the 70% rule. Take the max rating for the hull and take 70% from that and that would be the lowest I would go. So if the max rating is 200hp, the least I would go it 140hp.

·
Registered
554 Posts
From the Maritime website

20D
  • Length: 20′ 7″
  • Beam at Gunwale: 7′ 7″
  • Beam at Waterline: 6′ 5″
  • Draft: 12″
  • Cockpit Depth (average): 21″
  • Transom Height: 25″ (with 20” optional)
  • Fuel Capacity: 29 gallons
  • Hull Weight with Standard Equipment: 2040 lbs
  • Max Capacity People: 8 persons or 1152 lbs, 2000 lbs
    (persons, motor, gear)
  • 10deg bottom deadrise aft

·
Registered
454 Posts
Definitely depends on the boat. I own a 21 nautic star bay which has a yamaha f115. This motor is plenty of power for this semi V flats style boat. It tops out around 40mph and cruises around 30mph. The bottom is not painted this is a trailer boat, so if you painted the boat and left in the water you would probably be a little slower.
Specifications:

Length21'
Beam92"
Transome Height25"Approximate
Draft11"Approximate
Boat Weight1550 lbs.
Fuel Capacity49 Gal.
Baitwell20 Gal.Rear Livewell27 Gal.
Persons/Total Persons Weight8/1200 lbs.Max Weight Capacity1704 lbs.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
I had a 115 Suzuki on my Maritime 20p for 7 years. The Maratime was designed form the ground up to run on smaller motors. I put 1500 hours on the motor mostly at WOT of 6000rpms. The 20 foot Maritimes had max engine rating of 115 Hp until recently when the new owners of the company rerated the boat for a 150HP. I managed 30knots and averaged 5.5mpg with a 14x20 stainless three blade. My new motor is a 140hp Suzuki and I only gained a couple knots. Its basicaly a tuned up 115hp. In 115 Hp I believe the Suzuki is the best in the world. I dont believe any other 115hp can turn a 14x20 prop at 6000rpms.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have a 130 honda on a 21 whaler (1973), almost no v to it and it does 40mph and cruises at 27mph. boat weighs in around 1500lbs wo power.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
A 17 Mako is far from a Deep v. My 17 Mako with 115 Johnson would run 46-47mph, but it was a wild ride keeping it in the water.

A 115 will work on a 21ft CC till you get 3-4 guys on there with fuel, bait, fish tackle and cooler full of ice. Then it's going to be dangerous if you get caught in a nasty inlet with waves breaking behind you wanting to eat you.

Adams right about 200hp, even a 150 and especially an Etec that has lots of lower grunt that 4 strokes don't have would be a much better choice. An engine that will put the boat on plane quickly is always a better choice. Not to mention lots more fun..

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A

A 115 will work on a 21ft CC till you get 3-4 guys on there with fuel, bait, fish tackle and cooler full of ice. Then it's going to be dangerous if you get caught in a nasty inlet with waves breaking behind you wanting to eat you.

I've been there and will be again..lol

and I appreciate all this valuable insight, I'm a lifetime learner on this stuff lol, thanks for taking the time to talk about that stuff thats awesome-

Right now I'm leaning towards a yammy 150 hpdi so I'm gonna start a new thread about that engine and hear what you guys think:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts