BASS BARN banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When fishing the back bays, is there a rule of thumb for choosing which side of sods to target based on wind and current direction? For instance, in a north wind with incoming tide (running south, southwest), would you choose to find a sod bank which faces you into the wind or would you want to face south and cast with the wind. Obviously, there are many different wind and current combinations. Just wondering if there is a either a rule to go by or if anyone has the experience and time to share their knowledge with me. This question came as a result of reading the post on bait swimming into the wind.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
When Fishing The BackBays (ICW etc.) I Found
That When I Fish My Favorite Tide(Out-Going) for
Bass and that water is moving North To South I
always due better when the Wind is From The North,
NorthWest,NorthEast...It Pushes the Water and
creates some good rips in front of tidal creeks
and The Fishing Seems To Really Turn On....

The Opposite is the Dreaded South,SouthWest and
SouthEast Wind in that situation,, Wind Against
Tide and it seems to me that the bite is usually
slow with those conditions........

But You Can Always Use The Wind Direction to
Your Advantage In Many Different Area's When
Fishing Especially in South Jersey..A Bad Place
Usually Means A Better Place To Fish Somewhere
Else....I like the Challange,,,,

Now, That Being Said, I sit here debating what
will be the best bet tomorrow morning, when
these NE Winds Change To N...

Any Idea's ?, AnyOne ?

Thanks,,

·
Registered
489 Posts
C'mon Bucktailwillie, set'm straight..

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Strikes,
Once the w### changes we plan on anchoring off the southern tip of ******* and hope that the island knocks down the w### a little and the inlets not too rough. We'll see!!!!

Catchem Up

DM2

[ 11-12-2004, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: doormatt2 ]

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
DM2,,,
Nice Plan.-Good Luck.............

Looks Like At This Point,The NE Winds will
Shift to the N around 3-4AM at around 15mph
inland and along the coast NE 15-20kts/Gusts
To 30kts then N 20kts Gusts to 30kts and Seas
Building from 5'-8' to 7'-10' later in the
day Saturday...
Looks Like I Will Try Early Then Bag It For The
day.....

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Steve were hitting it early also to catch the last of the incoming and depending on how bad the water/w*** is were going hit the out going till it starts rippen. Then it's off to pull Seaweazils boat. Will put up a post on how we do.

DM2

[ 11-12-2004, 03:53 PM: Message edited by: doormatt2 ]

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Originally posted by doormatt2:
Will put up a post on how we do.

DM2
Cool...,, Thanks,,,,

·
Registered
242 Posts
Some/Most places on the sods I like the wind blowing against the bank- especialy a N wind. Many times predators are ambusing disoriented baits there. Sometimes a nice mudline forms 4-6 ' out on the first blow and that has worked for me also.
Nightstrikes- Good potential on some of those bridges where the N wind pushes against the outgoing- especially this time of year.

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info everyone. Truck is packed and I be leaving Cherry Hill by 4am, which puts me in the OC area by 5 - nice when there are no other cars on the road ;)

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
No luck today! inlet was a 10' wall of white water wind blowing so hard we were going forward at a 20 degree angle :rolleyes:

Tried to find a spot out of the wind but almost all of the sod banks from little egg harbor bay to tukerton bay and great bay were under water and when we did finally find a spot a couple of duck hunters let us know we were not welcome :eek: :mad: so we called it quits around 10 am.

Just couldn't believe it. You could almost see the inlet from the mouth of the Tuckerton Creek :eek: The day markers were only a foot out of the water, most of the cans were half submerged with a good 2-3' chop on top making them almost imposible to see. Got back to the marina and the floating docks were above the bulk head with about 6" of water in the parking lot :eek: (and this is a half mile up Tukerton Creek) the tide was worse than all of the hurricains/Noreasters this year and to top if off I left my duck boots in the back of the truck :rolleyes: :rolleyes: .

Sober ending to a fairly productive year fishing. Still have around 70 lbs. of mixed fillets in the freezer for the winter, alot of good memories to add to the scrap book but now it's time to put the toy's away for the year, catch up on the honey dooooossssss and put some overtime in with the little guy's.

Till next time!!!!!

Go gettum...

DM2

[ 11-13-2004, 04:52 PM: Message edited by: doormatt2 ]

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DM2's comments bring us to an interesting question - Is the season over already? Water temps a plummeting. At what temps do Tog leave the area?

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
RS,
We had 51.8 degree water on the flood and that was just the one chance that I looked.

Wish I could give more info but we spent most of our time on the water trying to stay in the water and out of the wind (and some #3 shot :eek: :eek: )

Is it over?? By no means!!!! Just for me!!!!

I wish all of you the best of luck and tight lines.

DM2 out!!!

[ 11-13-2004, 10:04 PM: Message edited by: doormatt2 ]

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
DM2 good report. I am going to give it a try tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully the [email protected]#% will let up and shift from the NE. We had a nice day Thursday with 17 stripers to 35 inches. Anchored up and clamming has been the trick lately. I hope to get 2 more trips in before I hang it up till March and Graveling Point.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts